nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   MMORPGs (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Do you hate EQ2? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=123175)

glObalist 11-16-08 03:09 AM

Do you hate EQ2?

I do. And yes I played the game so I'm at least half-qualified to state my opinion on it. WOOT!

Post if you cannot stand it.

I once downloaded the free trial (some Island in the title), played for 15 minutes, then uninstalled. Coming from WoW, I couldn't stand the dreadful engine and artless graphics. It also ran like crap at the time and looked like a B title overall. I looked around very hard to find any fun in this game but just couldn't.

I will never play EQ2 again.

nrdstrm 11-16-08 11:47 AM

Re: Do you hate EQ2?

I actually loved the game while I played. I think I played for 1 1/2 years or so (from launch, not counting beta)...

WoW I'm not a huge fan of, but it is pretty enjoyable. The cartoony graphics kill it for me to be honest...

jeffmd 11-16-08 01:33 PM

I only hate that it wasn't the game it SHOULD have been. :( EQ2 should have been where Verant learned from their mistakes..and made a game that was fun to play.

I also think SoEs station is whoefully out of date with the times. Games with low user bases still getting charged full $15 a month.

Mullins1060 11-16-08 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glObalist (Post 1846295)
I do. And yes I played the game so I'm at least half-qualified to state my opinion on it. WOOT!

I once downloaded the free trial (some Island in the title), played for 15 minutes, then uninstalled. Coming from WoW, I couldn't stand the dreadful engine and artless graphics. It also ran like crap at the time and looked like a B title overall. I looked around very hard to find any fun in this game but just couldn't.

If you just played the trial of the island then you haven't really played EQ2. That is just one area, one of the oldest areas of the game at that, once you leave the starting island there is a wide variety of different zones that look amazing especially those from the newer expansions.

Can't deny that it used to run like crap because it did, CPU based engine is the cause of that.

Sgt_Pitt 11-18-08 01:12 AM

New expansion should be fun

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/42847.html

CaptnStubing 11-18-08 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glObalist (Post 1846295)

I played it for a month or so. I didn't hate it. I just found it boring and clunky. Now EQ I hated. What a PoS that game was. Only those who hate them selves and are into cutting them selves could love such a horribly abusive game. It has ALWAYS looked terrible even for its time and don't get me started on the "idea" of the game mechanics.

These are the type of people who play EQ.

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...THOPOTAMUS.jpg

Reliquary 12-07-08 06:08 PM

Deep game, deep lore, original NPC design and some very accomplished and quirky animation, multiple continents and islands (there's a whole other world up there in the sky), a wicked sense of humour, some of the best staged seasonal events in gaming, multiple races and multiple classes to suit every style, a sense that you can go your own way and have your own unique adventures...

The only problem with the game is the engine, which throws tasks that should go to the GPU onto the CPU, yet still produces striking images far beyond the cartoon world of WoW and makes you forgive the occasional judder.

I moved to EQ2 from WoW, and frankly it felt like I was moving on from kindergarten directly to adulthood.

Xav 12-13-08 02:10 AM

EQ1 and 2 are both great games. Trial of the Isle is a horrid first impression of EQ2.

Also, one does not need to like pain to enjoy EQ1....one just has to not want everything handed to them on a silver platter nor to be able to solo 90% of the content. :)

It was a group game..period. Not sure how it is these days post-WoW.

deadplayer 12-15-08 08:49 PM

I never tried the game. :captnkill:

Blacklash 12-18-08 05:39 PM

I hated the Teir'Dal hair styles and to some extent the character models. Some characters had fine faces. I loathed the bodies though.

The game itself wasn't too bad and I bored of it to move on. I played it off and on for half a year.

Friends kept me logging in and finally that wasn't enough. Many of them did quit too.

Phillychuck 03-11-09 09:54 AM

I'm about to try EQ2 again, I was a EQ1 addict who didn't like EQ2 at release and fell into WoW. I do like the EQ universe better, since I spent so much time in the original. My new goal is to play to 80, its easier now and the game still looks nice.

People compare the engines like thats all the game is about, seeing stuff in EQ2 gives me that shiver like when you hear a song you really liked and not heard in 10 years.

Anyone recommend a active (non-RP) server?

Badboy_12345 03-11-09 10:08 AM

Does wanting to claw my eyes out qualify as I hate it? :bleh: