nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   GTX260 XFX Black Edition (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=124298)

pkirby11 12-07-08 01:00 AM

GTX260 XFX Black Edition

Well my card is a week old and sitting on my bed smelling of burnt plastic and dead as a door nail. Not sure what happened, I left to get some food Friday night came back and the computer was off. Put my old ATI back in and everything was fine again. Not sure what I'm going to do, guess that's why I never over clock I have bad luck. Hope all you that bought this card have better luck than me. May go back to my old card, buy a new ATI card or nothing. Haven't decided yet, oh well.

Blacklash 12-07-08 01:18 AM

Re: GTX260 XFX Black Edition

Sorry to hear that. That is very odd.

666 is not a massive core OC at all. I've been able to run any card I've tried @ at least 660 on the core with auto fan settings. For higher OCs I need to jack the fan to 70-75% depending on the title to go higher under load.

I'd definitely RMA that sucker. Guess you got a bum card.

Good luck.

tejas 12-08-08 03:21 PM

hey i'm sorry to hear that too. Although you may feel a bit better that my XFX GTX260 216 Black Edition was defective on the first day I bought it... checkerboard artifacts all over the screen when gaming :( XFX are the worst Nvidia partner. Seriously it's EVGA or ATI... thats how poor the other partners are!

TBH I think XFX are going over to ATI so they are selling their **** defective Nvidia stock to you and me :thumbdwn:

Go for an EVGA stock card either GTX 260 or 280. Personally I'm going for the GTX280 and will step up to the GTX 290 when that comes out in Jan/ Feb 2009! :captnkill: You can't go wrong with their service either and seriously Nvidia stuff is gr8!

pkirby11 12-08-08 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tejas (Post 1867959)
hey i'm sorry to hear that too. Although you may feel a bit better that my XFX GTX260 216 Black Edition was defective on the first day I bought it... checkerboard artifacts all over the screen when gaming :( XFX are the worst Nvidia partner. Seriously it's EVGA or ATI... thats how poor the other partners are!

TBH I think XFX are going over to ATI so they are selling their **** defective Nvidia stock to you and me :thumbdwn:

Go for an EVGA stock card either GTX 260 or 280. Personally I'm going for the GTX280 and will step up to the GTX 290 when that comes out in Jan/ Feb 2009! :captnkill: You can't go wrong with their service either and seriously Nvidia stuff is gr8!

Yeah I agree, I almost always go with EVGA if I buy NVIDIA but I had heard good things about the XFX card including good reviews so I thought why not. :D Bad idea I guess, not sure what I'm going to do but glad to hear I'm not the only one with these issues.

ATi 12-09-08 02:42 AM

I hope my xfx lives a long life

EciDemon 12-09-08 09:51 AM

I don't trust xfx either, had two cards from them die with in 10 minutes use ... but as Blacklash sayd its odd it broke on those clocks. Fan failure?

jcrox 12-09-08 09:59 AM

I've had nothing but bad luck with XFX myself. I would not recommend to anyone that they buy any of their products :thumbdwn:

pkirby11 12-09-08 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EciDemon (Post 1868901)
I don't trust xfx either, had two cards from them die with in 10 minutes use ... but as Blacklash sayd its odd it broke on those clocks. Fan failure?

Not saying it was the clock speed but OC has always made me wary but I really will never know what caused it. I left Friday night for several hours came back and the computer was off. With the XFX card in I can't even get the system to post now, so I really can't see if the fan is spinning. Pretty much fried it seems, certainly smells like it. :)

Honestly right now I think I'm going to wait, I wanted to upgrade my card but since going back to my 3870x2 I'm honestly not noticing a huge drop in FPS over the other card on what I play. Not sure why because the reason I upgraded was because it did seem slow but I think for now I'm going to wait it out a little longer since I've gone this long. See what's coming around next before I buy anything else.