nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   glxgears stutters in Fedora, not in Ubuntu (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=124306)

coelurus 12-07-08 09:19 AM

glxgears stutters in Fedora, not in Ubuntu

I have posted this question in the Fedora forums as well, but since it kind of relates to other distributions as well, I thought posting in a forum for the common factor could be a good idea.

I'm trying out Fedora 10 as an option to Ubuntu 8.10 on my "workstation" (X2 3GHz, 4GB RAM, GF8600GT) and things have gone pretty well so far. I installed Fedora 10, did the usual hw setup using NVidia drivers from rpmfusion, tried glxgears and got about 4500 FPS but it also stuttered pretty badly. I thought this was kind of low and the stuttering was pretty horrible, so I installed Ubuntu 8.10 and glxgears pumped out 7500 FPS with no stuttering at all, using NVidia drivers from Ubuntu repos. I then reinstalled Fedora 10, because I really would like to get it to work, and needless to say the stuttering is still there.

Obviously, from the FPS, I do not have software rendering on so that's not the problem. I also disabled desktop effects in all test cases. What could cause the stuttering in Fedora, or what could I try to make it go away?

gbil 12-07-08 09:23 AM

Re: glxgears stutters in Fedora, not in Ubuntu

GLXGEARS IS NOT A BENCHMARK

Use a real world application/game and read the stickies!

coelurus 12-07-08 09:48 AM

With the right intentions and proper understanding, glxgears can be a benchmark. In this case, it's not about the FPS, it's about why glxgears runs smoothly and performs better under Ubuntu but not under Fedora using the same drivers, thus Fedora does something weird. No sticky explains this difference as far as I can tell.

adamk75 12-07-08 10:34 AM

Why do you care about stuttering in glxgears anyway? Do you just run it all day, staring at it?

takahide 12-07-08 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbil (Post 1866498)
GLXGEARS IS NOT A BENCHMARK

Use a real world application/game and read the stickies!

Had you read the post you would (hopefully) have realized that it was not a question regarding performance but rather throughput on the same piece of hardware. Actually, the fact that you bring that up makes me think you're just regurgitating what others have said--in other context--hoping it makes you look somewhat cool; whilst in reality you are just causing unnecessary traffic.

coelurus 12-07-08 11:07 AM

I don't understand why this topic brings so much heat, the thread at Fedora forums isn't exactly heartwarming either.

For more info, here's my last post over there:

Quote:

I actually tried a couple of other OpenGL demos before to verify the problem and saw the same thing. But just to be nice, I tried Glaxium. Got the same result, decent frame rate (almost 500) but pretty horrible stuttering.

Oh, and the stuttering occurs even if I use an xterm only session.

The pesky thing with this "bug" is that it's pretty hard to figure out where it comes from and I thought somebody here maybe could have an idea what I should look for.
EDIT: About why I care about glxgears stuttering:
Something is obviously wrong in Fedora and I want to know what. Simple as that.

takahide 12-07-08 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamk75 (Post 1866534)
Why do you care about stuttering in glxgears anyway? Do you just run it all day, staring at it?

Didn't school teach you to ask the correct questions? For example, this would have been a much better one: "Do you get the same kind of stuttering in glaxium?".

gbil 12-07-08 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by takahide (Post 1866550)
Had you read the post you would (hopefully) have realized that it was not a question regarding performance but rather throughput on the same piece of hardware. Actually, the fact that you bring that up makes me think you're just regurgitating what others have said--in other context--hoping it makes you look somewhat cool; whilst in reality you are just causing unnecessary traffic.

You are right, every post I write increases my coolness!

Thank god you are here to read posts and answer in the correct context and not create unnecessary traffic.

Now if you read my post you would understand 2 things:

1. glxgears doesn't show anything! Use a real application to reproduce any problem.

2. The stickies show HOW to create a bug report which is needed in every case.

The original poster understood nothing of these, you didn't either. Now DO YOU UNDERSTAND or YOU are just creating unnecessary traffic?

takahide 12-07-08 12:22 PM

@gbil: You can go on about glxgears all you want, but the original question still remains valid since it's _not_ a question about benchmark results.

I like you, you make me look smart and I haven't even gone into any blunt details on why glxgears can't be considered a benchmarking tool. Don't worry though, I'm going to stop you from total humiliation by not wasting any more time on you. Go play some WoW instead.

gbil 12-07-08 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by takahide (Post 1866612)
you make me look smart

I doubt if that is humanly possible.

coelurus 12-07-08 12:31 PM

1) glxgears shows throughput from an application that is identical on two platforms. It works well under Ubuntu but not under Fedora, and therefore something is wrong in Fedora. I also did try a bunch of other applications (or in your perspective, "real" applications such as games). glxgears is a valid _benchmark_ to measure with in this case, look up the actual definition of that word to understand why I use it here (I'm not kidding, look it up).

2) I read through all the stickes before posting to prevent situations like these, the only remotely relevant one was about about increasing the X verbosity level and using nvidia-bug-report.sh _after_ the error occurred. The thing is, I do not have problems with the NVidia drivers, the exact same driver with the same configurations works perfectly well under Ubuntu so I'm not looking for assistance from NVidia. I'd like to have a discussion regarding actual performance problems under Fedora compared to Ubuntu. There's no bug.

Btw, I got this in a reply in another forum:
Quote:

All that the imbeciles can say is, "glxgears is not a benchmark, therefore your problem does not exist." Ignore those imbeciles.
Seriously though, gbil, if you think this thread is silly, just let it go.

gbil 12-07-08 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coelurus (Post 1866620)

Seriously though, gbil, if you think this thread is silly, just let it go.

Gladly. It seems you only want an answer that will please you and I can't give you that.