nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Software Development (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   C++ and VIsual C++ (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=124550)

GTVAPSAMTIK 12-12-08 01:06 PM

C++ and VIsual C++
 
Hey guyz first of all sorry for posting such a topic in Gaming section but people rarely visist Programing section.

Can anyone tell me the different between C++ and Visual C++ ? Which platform is widely used for game programing.

ViN86 12-12-08 01:19 PM

Re: C++ and VIsual C++
 
well you never even posted in the Developer's Section. secondly, the ppl that can answer your question do visit that subforum.

C++ and Visual C++ both use the C++ language. the difference is that visual C++ is MS's own version/IDE.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_C%2B%2B

for DX, you can use both, but it would be easier in Visual C++ since it has tools for the language.

also, im moving the thread cause its in the wrong section.

lduguay 12-12-08 01:36 PM

Re: C++ and VIsual C++
 
VIN86 said it all

/endthread

Feyy 12-12-08 06:05 PM

Re: C++ and VIsual C++
 
C/C++ are used mainly for games programming

Zhivago 12-14-08 11:52 AM

Re: C++ and VIsual C++
 
C++ is a programming language defined by a specification (a document).

Visual C++ is a fairly good compiler (an implementation of the C++ language) produced by Microsoft.

Vin I believe is incorrect however - it is Visual Studio that is the IDE, not Visual C++.

EDIT: oh ok, it looks like Visual C++ and Visual Studio are both IDE's. Fascinating..

rhink 12-14-08 01:41 PM

Re: C++ and VIsual C++
 
Visual studio is a related family of products, of which visual C++ is a member. C++ is a programming language, Visual C++ is a development environment (IDE and compiler) for developing applications in C++.

It's not correct to say that C++ is mainly used for games programming (though it may be correct to say that games programming is done mainly in C++, and most of that probably uses Visual C++). You can certainly develop games in other languages, however- including C#, Visual Basic, C, Java, etc.

Feyy 12-14-08 03:31 PM

Re: C++ and VIsual C++
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by rhink (Post 1874661)
Visual studio is a related family of products, of which visual C++ is a member. C++ is a programming language, Visual C++ is a development environment (IDE and compiler) for developing applications in C++.

It's not correct to say that C++ is mainly used for games programming (though it may be correct to say that games programming is done mainly in C++, and most of that probably uses Visual C++). You can certainly develop games in other languages, however- including C#, Visual Basic, C, Java, etc.

I kind of meant to say in games development, C and C++ are used mostly.

My first post was a bit ambiguous :o

ViN86 12-14-08 04:17 PM

Re: C++ and VIsual C++
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zhivago (Post 1874585)
C++ is a programming language defined by a specification (a document).

Visual C++ is a fairly good compiler (an implementation of the C++ language) produced by Microsoft.

Vin I believe is incorrect however - it is Visual Studio that is the IDE, not Visual C++.

EDIT: oh ok, it looks like Visual C++ and Visual Studio are both IDE's. Fascinating..

each component of Visual Studio is its own IDE. Visual Studio is just the package that combines them all together.

fivefeet8 12-16-08 05:16 PM

Re: C++ and VIsual C++
 
Visual C++ also comes with pre-programmed GUI components(ie. Dialog boxes, input boxes, etc....). Much like Visual Basic.

ViN86 12-19-08 03:36 PM

Re: C++ and VIsual C++
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by fivefeet8 (Post 1877124)
Visual C++ also comes with pre-programmed GUI components(ie. Dialog boxes, input boxes, etc....). Much like Visual Basic.

yea, that's why i like the Visual Studio. very easy to create and use GUI's :)

also, you may want to check out C#. if youre familiar with C/C++ it's very intuitive and quite powerful. i think XNA (MS's game IDE) uses C#.

lduguay 12-22-08 07:03 AM

Re: C++ and VIsual C++
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 1880451)
yea, that's why i like the Visual Studio. very easy to create and use GUI's :)

also, you may want to check out C#. if youre familiar with C/C++ it's very intuitive and quite powerful. i think XNA (MS's game IDE) uses C#.

Yes C# is mandatory. :(

jcrox 12-22-08 05:46 PM

Re: C++ and VIsual C++
 
I don't know about "mandatory"... at least around here anyways. It seems either places really use it or don't use it all, no in between.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.