nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   GTX 280 SLI w/XP? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=124688)

mitebbots 12-15-08 01:14 AM

GTX 280 SLI w/XP?
 
Will an GTX 280 SLI work well with XP as the OS?

I'm going to be putting together a high-end gaming system for a friend. Pretty much all-out system. He really prefers XP and doubt he will consider using Vista.

Will the SLI be worth it or should we stick with one card?

XP x64 sounds nice for the extra memory support. Would most games run on XP x64?

thx

saturnotaku 12-15-08 05:03 AM

Re: GTX 280 SLI w/XP?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mitebbots (Post 1875208)
Will an GTX 280 SLI work well with XP as the OS?

Yes.

Quote:

Will the SLI be worth it or should we stick with one card?
Depends on the rest of your system specs, what video cards you'd be using, and the resolution at which you'd be gaming. You'd need a fairly powerful CPU and a high resolution display (1920x1200 at least) to really see a benefit from going SLI on the GTX 200 series of GPUs. If you plan on using 1680x1050, a single GTX 260 or 280 would be more than sufficient.

Quote:

XP x64 sounds nice for the extra memory support. Would most games run on XP x64?
Is there any particular reason why he wouldn't want to use Vista? If you're building a so called high-end system, Vista x64 is a no-brainer. It has far better support than XP64. You could always set up a dual boot between XP32 and Vista x64 to ease any transition.

mitebbots 12-15-08 12:04 PM

Re: GTX 280 SLI w/XP?
 
Dual boot, yes I was thinking about that - really makes sense.

He is hardcore so still uses a CRT monitor, I think it's 24" and weighs 800lbs ;). pretty high resolution, but not quite what a large LCD would run at. maybe one step below 1600 x 1200.

System will be i7 965 Extreme, Asus P6T Deluxe etc.

Thanks again

newls1 12-15-08 05:42 PM

Re: GTX 280 SLI w/XP?
 
why is Vista X64 a no brainer? Just wondering...... Im NOT a Vista hater by any means, but to be quite honest with everyone here, I've had the best luck, best performing, least amount of headaches with XP64 over the past 1 1/2 years. I do have Vista 64 installed on another machine next to me, but I just dont like gaming with it. I have 2 IDENTICAL PC's next to me, with the exact same games installed on them. XP64 plays them smoother, hands down for me. HL2 EP2, UT3, are the games im talking about. Of course this could be that Nvidia drivers are more "in tune" for XP MAYBE, I dont know, but this is my conclusion and im sticking to it.

john19055 12-15-08 08:40 PM

Re: GTX 280 SLI w/XP?
 
A 21" or a 24" CRT can run a high resolutions ,my Dell 21" CRT could run at 2048x1536 and that higher then a 24" LCD .So he should be able to run at high resolutions and make two GTX 280 run good with a good CPU.

Monnie Rock 12-26-08 09:09 PM

Re: GTX 280 SLI w/XP?
 
I still run my Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 22" CRT. 2048x1536 @85Hz. Very happy with it.

DeusGear 12-26-08 11:24 PM

Re: GTX 280 SLI w/XP?
 
Vista 64 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> XP 64.

weeds 12-27-08 06:04 AM

Re: GTX 280 SLI w/XP?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monnie Rock (Post 1885629)
I still run my Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 22" CRT. 2048x1536 @85Hz. Very happy with it.


2048x1536 @85Hz FTW!

.

Monnie Rock 12-27-08 12:11 PM

Re: GTX 280 SLI w/XP?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by weeds (Post 1885762)
2048x1536 @85Hz FTW!

.

:beer: We have the same monitor Weeds

Were you able to find any *.inf for Vista32/64 bit and this Monitor?
Mine came with the Spectra View to calibrate the color, sad to say, not supported with Vista.

Thank you,
Monnie

Quick420 12-27-08 01:36 PM

Re: GTX 280 SLI w/XP?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mitebbots (Post 1875596)
Dual boot, yes I was thinking about that - really makes sense.

He is hardcore so still uses a CRT monitor, I think it's 24" and weighs 800lbs ;). pretty high resolution, but not quite what a large LCD would run at. maybe one step below 1600 x 1200.

System will be i7 965 Extreme, Asus P6T Deluxe etc.

Thanks again

Mine weighs arounds 180lbs LOL......CRT FTW:D

weeds 12-27-08 03:19 PM

Re: GTX 280 SLI w/XP?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monnie Rock (Post 1885912)
:beer: We have the same monitor Weeds

Were you able to find any *.inf for Vista32/64 bit and this Monitor?
Mine came with the Spectra View to calibrate the color, sad to say, not supported with Vista.

Thank you,
Monnie

Same Monitor, CPU, MB, SC, and Dvd Burner:) Sorry cant help with the Vista .inf, Im still sporting XP Pro SP3. I figured I would skip Vista and wait for Windows 7 and a new build.


.

newls1 12-27-08 03:34 PM

Re: GTX 280 SLI w/XP?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by DeusGear (Post 1885669)
Vista 64 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> XP 64.

and your basing this on..............what? I dont want to start a flame war in this guys thread about which OS is better, this is strickly a personal opinion type question, would we agree with that? I am basing my conclusion with FACTS. I happen to have 2 identical PC's with just 2 different OS'es, like I said, 1 with XP64, and 1 with Vista64. I find Vista64 has improved 10000% from 1-1/2 years ago, but gaming is still toward the xp64 side. The only game that likes Vista it seems to me is FC2 in DX10 mode. Slighty more FPS, weird isnt it?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.