nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   driver installer will not work with debian (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12512)

TomStein 05-28-03 06:00 AM

driver installer will not work with debian

Hello to all,

I am nearly completely new to Linux and am trying to install Debian 3.0 r1 on my toshiba 3000-514 with GeForce 2 Go.

The installer from the NVIDIA...XF86....4363.run says, he cannot read the kernel headers and cancels the installation process. I have looked into the readme on the ftp-server and have tried again with --kernel-name "2.2.20-idepci" but with no luck.

Should I maybe take an older installer or is the 4363 maybe not for this kernel / garphic chip ?

Thanks for reading / helping

Tom

Benedikt 05-28-03 09:17 AM

Hi Tom,

same here with an Acer Travelmate 632XC with the same video chip and Debian 3.0r1 with 2.4.18-686 kernel.

I found several sites where users reported to have successfully installed the one or an other driver but all methods failed. :-(

Maybe someone could help? Should I add more infos to this post?

code 05-28-03 04:26 PM

Re: driver installer will not work with debian

You have to specify the kernel headers to build off of when installing.

In Debian, assuming you're using a debian kernel package, these are generally kept as a part of a seperate deb package, kernel-headers-... or kernel-build-... where "..." is your kernel package version.

So, the first step is to download the kernel headers. Do a "uname -r" If your kernel version is less than or equal to 2.4.18 you need the "kernel-headers-..." package if it's greater than 2.4.19, I believe you need the kernel-build-..." package.

Then, follow this example, where, "2.4.18-686-smp" is replaced with your kernel version, as reported by "uname -r":

# apt-get update
# apt-get install kernel-headers-2.4.18-686-smp
(or, apt-get install kernel-build-2.4.19 if it's a newer kernel)

then run the installer, specifying the header include location (e.g. --kernel-include-path=/usr/src/kernel-headers-2.4.18-686-smp/include/) on the command line.

TomStein 05-28-03 05:38 PM

Re: Re: driver installer will not work with debian

-- Hello, thanks for your help javascript:smilie(':)')
smile

Then, follow this example, where, "2.4.18-686-smp" is replaced with your kernel version, as reported by "uname -r":
[and so on ...]

-- this worked fine ...

then run the installer, specifying the header include location

-- ok, this worked too, but then while processing I get this message: " Unable to bild the NVIDIA kernel module."

Then it says, I can see error details in /var/log/nvidia-installer.log, but there is no such file javascript:smilie(':(')
frown

What am I making wrong?

Tom

code 05-29-03 08:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: driver installer will not work with debian

Quote:

Originally posted by TomStein

-- ok, this worked too, but then while processing I get this message: " Unable to bild the NVIDIA kernel module."

Hrm... The error message sounds pretty general, I am not sure what you would be doing wrong.

You said earlier you're using a 2.2 kernel I would recommend you upgrade to a newer 2.4 kernel... I've tested 2.4.18 with several NVidia cards successfully. Make sure to install the appropriate kernel-pcmcia-modules package on your laptop and follow the kernel install script's note about specifying an initrd line to your bootloader.