nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Problems with nVidia TNT2 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12530)

MarioN 05-28-03 11:32 AM

Problems with nVidia TNT2

Hi there,
I've got a RIVA TNT2 and seems don't work properly...with X server running and also in console I've got lots of gray lines...

I tried to ran it on Mandrake9.0 with very poor resoults, even if I've patched the kernel with the NVIDIA source packets...

I've then upgraded the kernel version from 2.4.19-xx.mdk to a standard on (2.4.20) with same, bad, resoults.javascript:smilie(':(')

I thought to upgrade the SO to mdk9.1, same problems.....!$*$%'javascript:smilie(':mad:')

Actually the machine is running Slackware9.0, with kernel patched OK with NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run pkt, and I still got problem....(and won't change OS another time!!!)

The interesting parts of my XF86config-4:
Load "glx"
Identifier "NV AGP"
VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
BoardName "RIVA TNT2"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "DPMS"

Warnings on XFree86.log are:
(WW) Open APM failed (/dev/apm_bios) (No such file or directory)
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Not using mode "1024x768" (height 1536 is larger than
(WW) NVIDIA(0): EDID-specified maximum 1200)
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Not using mode "960x720" (height 1440 is larger than
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Not using mode "928x696" (height 1392 is larger than
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Not using mode "896x672" (height 1344 is larger than
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Not using mode "896x672" (height 1344 is larger than
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Not using mode "1400x1050":
(WW) NVIDIA(0): horizontal sync width (1784 - 1464 = 320) greater than 256
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Not using mode "1152x768":
(WW) NVIDIA(0): horizontal sync start (1178) not a multiple of 8
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Not using mode "576x384":
(WW) NVIDIA(0): horizontal sync start (589) not a multiple of 8
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Not using mode "360x200":
(WW) NVIDIA(0): horizontal sync start (378) not a multiple of 8

..no "error", no "not implemented" and no "unknown" flags on XFree86.0.log..

Anyone can helps ?
Thankd in advance

MarioN

sebazve 05-28-03 12:13 PM

try to run the x server at 60hz (refresh rate)

Did you try to run X with the framebuffer module? you wont get any acceleration but with this module all cards should run so if you still get those line maybe your card is damage.

The thing is that you get those lines in the console too so it looks like this is something worst than a driver issue.

see ya

MarioN 05-28-03 12:41 PM

card has been changed two times.....

Quote:

Originally posted by sebazve
try to run the x server at 60hz (refresh rate)

Did you try to run X with the framebuffer module? you wont get any acceleration but with this module all cards should run so if you still get those line maybe your card is damage.

The thing is that you get those lines in the console too so it looks like this is something worst than a driver issue.

see ya

Thx for your quick reply...unfortunatelty cannot be an hardware problem, I've replaced the card two times without improuve the situation...
Everything works fine with an ATI Mach64 AGP, but not with 3 nVidia RIVA TNT2!?!

I tryed your suggestion setting up VertRefresh to 48.0 - 60.0, but didn't helped at all..

I've got also the "frame buffer module" compiled statically....

...any further suggestion ?

sebazve 05-28-03 01:02 PM

dont know really, ive looking thorugh google and several people have this problem on linux and Windows with Vantas and TNTs which are somewhat old...but they couldnt find a solution..have to replace their card with new ones:(

:(

hope you can fix it

Gator 05-28-03 06:48 PM

I think I've heard of that error too, wish I could help. Honestly it might be easier to simply replace the card, the GF4MX is superior to the old TNT2 and they start at a mere $38us
http://www.pricewatch.com/1/37/4591-1.htm

MarioN 05-29-03 10:28 AM

I cannot use a different video card

Quote:

Originally posted by Gator
I think I've heard of that error too, wish I could help. Honestly it might be easier to simply replace the card, the GF4MX is superior to the old TNT2 and they start at a mere $38us

The problem is that in office we don't have video cards exept TNT2 or ATI.
Actually the PC is working with an ATI; it works well, but is not enough for how I use it, I need a powerful one for lots of "X displays", so TNT2 should be better.......what can I do ?

Might be a problem related to my motherboard (ASUS P38-F) that is not compliant with TNT2 ?
Few colleagues of mine useing a TNT2 with ASUS motherboard too, but noone seems to have the same model of mine....

Gator 05-29-03 10:33 AM

MarioN, ask the mods to move this post to the Linux section, you are bound to get more answers there

MarioN 05-29-03 12:36 PM

Definetely a motherboard prb

Quote:

Originally posted by Gator
MarioN, ask the mods to move this post to the Linux section, you are bound to get more answers there
I've made some test with colleagues and that card is not compatible with my motherboard model, due to some specific we've found......damn!!??!!

GlowStick 05-29-03 02:13 PM

Re: Definetely a motherboard prb

Quote:

Originally posted by MarioN
I've made some test with colleagues and that card is not compatible with my motherboard model, due to some specific we've found......damn!!??!!
Hm that is werid to say the most, Are you sure you can not buy a Geforce 4 MX? they are pritty cheep? used even?

Voudoun 05-29-03 03:26 PM

TNT2. Wow. Is that steam-powered? :)

Seriously though, hope you're up and running again soon. Good luck.

Voudoun

hithere 05-29-03 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Voudoun
TNT2. Wow. Is that steam-powered? :)

Seriously though, hope you're up and running again soon. Good luck.

Voudoun

Dude, I have some very, very fond memories of my TNT-2 Ultra. As far as being my "favorites of all time", I'd say that my TNT2U(Diamond Viper V770Ultra, not the dismal Viper II - it was the one that came with the overclocker that looked like a speedometer) and my current 9500np @ 9700 are tied for that position. SHHHH!!! Don't tell the guys at Rage3d, I'd never live it down. :D