nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   resolution set with nvidia-settings doesn't stick after logoff? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=125606)

cshadow 01-03-09 11:08 AM

resolution set with nvidia-settings doesn't stick after logoff?

2 Attachment(s)
Nvidia 7600GS card, using driver 180.08 in ubuntu Intrepid (same problem with 177). I swapped my old CRT monitor for new philips 22" LCD, connected to DVI output. I have also LCD TV connected to VGA (separate X screen configured in xorg). Everything works fine after setting the proper native resolution 1680x1050 for the primary LCD monitor. But on next logon resolution drops to 1360x768
Strange, maybe it is a coincidence but this is exactly the res of the secondary screen (TV)...
This happens only with one user on the machine, if some other user logs on, the screen resolution is fine, 1680x1050.
It seems to me that nvidia-settings stores some info per user, but where?
All I was able to find was the ~/.nvidia-settings-rc, tried deleting that but no luck...
Xorg.conf and xorg log are attached.

alienexplorers 01-04-09 03:04 AM

Re: resolution set with nvidia-settings doesn't stick after logoff?

Are you starting nvidia-settings from root:
Quote:

Bring up terminal and enter
gksudo nvidia-settings

Windseeker 01-04-09 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alienexplorers (Post 1891927)
Are you starting nvidia-settings from root:

and after starting it from root you need to save the settings to your xorg.conf. There is a separate button in nvidia-settings for that on the page where you set the resolution and frequencies.

cshadow 01-04-09 05:20 AM

See the attached xorg.conf, a added the correct entries...
and in the xorg.log i see that the correct resolution is set for that screen. But the question is where does the resolution get changed every time I log on?
No other user has this problem - if my wife logs in, she gets the correct resolution.

pe1chl 01-04-09 05:32 AM

This is probably a "service" from your window manager, not something that has to do with nvidia-settings or the X server config.

Some window managers remember te resolution and think they are providing you a good service by setting it back.

cshadow 01-04-09 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pe1chl (Post 1891965)
This is probably a "service" from your window manager, not something that has to do with nvidia-settings or the X server config.

Some window managers remember te resolution and think they are providing you a good service by setting it back.

Thanks for the hint, will try to reset the gnome/metacity settings and see if there is any change.

Rudd-O 01-04-09 06:35 AM

If you use KDE and you have krandrtray open in your notification area, it will auto-restore the last resolution you chose when you log back on to KDE.

Rudd-O 01-04-09 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cshadow (Post 1891962)
See the attached xorg.conf, a added the correct entries...
and in the xorg.log i see that the correct resolution is set for that screen. But the question is where does the resolution get changed every time I log on?
No other user has this problem - if my wife logs in, she gets the correct resolution.

The res is changed because your desktop environment is setting it from a saved configuration file in your home directory. I think it's under .local or .gnome or .config, but I'm not sure. If you delete the file (I did, once, I can't recall its name), then the resolution is no longer set upon login, until the next time you change the resolution on your desktop.

Rudd-O 01-04-09 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pe1chl (Post 1891965)

It's NOT the window manager. It is the settings daemon loading the res from the config, or the session manager running a program that restores the resolution from a file saved in one of the user's homedir (one of the hidden dirs within it).

cshadow 01-04-09 02:38 PM

Found it!
It's the file ~/.config/monitors.xml and it can be changed via the gnome-display-properties. Which is BTW completely useless if you are using nvidia proprietary driver. My home folder is quite old and it seems to be some remnant from the past :-)
Thanks Rudd-O and the rest of you to point me the right way.

errold32 10-31-10 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cshadow (Post 1892293)
Found it!
It's the file ~/.config/monitors.xml and it can be changed via the gnome-display-properties. Which is BTW completely useless if you are using nvidia proprietary driver. My home folder is quite old and it seems to be some remnant from the past :-)
Thanks Rudd-O and the rest of you to point me the right way.

Thanks very much!!!!! I couldn't change my resolution and get it to stick between reboots.
removing the above file fixed it!!!!