nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   plans for 3D vision under linux ??? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=125960)

erik.vogan 01-09-09 08:20 AM

plans for 3D vision under linux ???

A couple of quick questions for someone from nvidia.

Are there plans to make the 3D vision product work with openGL under linux ? It seems a rather obvious idea given that many of the Quadro FX cards already support quad-buffered stereo, but the Quadro cards are notably lacking from the list of supported cards even under windows.

This would be a slam-dunk sale to many academic and industrial labs working on scientific visualization, as well as data mining, so I am certain someone inside nvidia is working on it. Care to offer a timeframe ?

Neon Lights 01-10-09 01:45 PM

Re: plans for 3D vision under linux ???

I'm interested in this too. They demoed 3D gaming and such at CES, it was fantastic and I'd love to have it. :3 haha.

rofthorax 01-22-09 11:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by erik.vogan (Post 1898150)
A couple of quick questions for someone from nvidia.

Are there plans to make the 3D vision product work with openGL under linux ? It seems a rather obvious idea given that many of the Quadro FX cards already support quad-buffered stereo, but the Quadro cards are notably lacking from the list of supported cards even under windows.

This would be a slam-dunk sale to many academic and industrial labs working on scientific visualization, as well as data mining, so I am certain someone inside nvidia is working on it. Care to offer a timeframe ?

Likely they won't, this is why:

LCD shutter glasses only require a synchronization of frame buffers in the graphics card.. This is a feature the NVidia cards had a long time ago, with Windows(!!) but then removed.. It was a experimental driver, I guess to see if it had a market..

All it requires is the creation of two cameras in the game, something that can be done without permission of the game, in hardware..

It doesn't use any extra special frame buffering, it's the same ol' page flipping, just even frames for left, and odd frames for right.. This could be done using a simple clock on the card and a correlation of frame buffer rendering to shutter). This could even be done without any involvement of the OS!!!

Now as for 3D stereo vision, I've taken over 5000 photos in stereo, and if you simply keep your two cameras parallel with about 3 inches of spacing, or the 3D world equivalent, then you get all the 3D you can handle.. The only problem is any textures that are bump mapped will not appear bumpy because it is a shading effect it doesn't change the geometry of the surface so bump mapped surfaces will look like someone painted them to be bumpy (like those bullet hole stickers people put on their trucks) but they will obviously be flat to a stereo perspective.. I've tested this with 3D packages and it tends to be the case.

But NVidia I think is in kahoots with Microsoft to get Vista adopted by using this as leverage.. I doubt they will give the feature away to the Linux community.

The included capture I took from Windows XP..

Now you could do stereo on any setup, even a 486 if you were so inclined.. It's up to NVidia to determine what will make them the most money.. The memory, the operating system, none of this has anything to do with making 3D possible..

If you hang a video camera out a car window directly at the buildings going by and take a movie then load it up in two quicktime video windows and offset the shuttle slider a bit on one, and overlap the images with your eyes , you can get good 3D, you can even see otehrwise flat mountains in 3D..

This is NVidia just screwing it's consumers with a supposed innovation.. It's old technology being used to leverage consumer's purchasing decisions.. But I bet in a year they will remove the support from new graphics cards, like they did in the past.

xianthax 01-22-09 05:59 PM

innovation is in the glasses, not how its done, old versions used shutters and were otherwise technically limited below 60hz. (even 3dfx tried this technology ~15 years ago) The old shutter glasses caused headaches and generally sucked. The new system uses LCDs in the lenses to control lenses blanking and works fine at 60hz, meaning each eye blanks 30 times a second.

the card has Z-buffer values which can be used to create the 2 different frames using a pretty simple algorithm, generally no support from the game manufacturer is needed but note that games with heavy 2d overlays, like wow, will have some odd effects due to that. games can also optimize to create more advanced effects, negative or otherwise tweaked Z buffer values could make things appear to "pop" out of the screen while in normal rendering throws them out as they are useless on a 2d panel.

the OS obviously is involved since they need to write a linux USB driver for the IR sync that communicates with the glasses. The frame sync hook also needs to be available in the graphics driver and piped to the driver for the glasses, but i imagine that is trivial.

cheers,

xian

klikklak 01-26-09 10:43 AM

I wrote on wine forums asking about this and the response was that two thirds of direct x functionality has been implemented, but all of the newer stuff was generally less supported. So if the ir module is coded, then I suppose we'd require probably quite small amounts of code in wine to support this. I for one am looking forward to this and I hope nvidia comes out with drivers soon. The existence of drivers would probably give reason for free software games and visualization and other 3d apps to support it quite quickly.

Thunderbird 01-26-09 01:37 PM

If nvidia would offer stereo opengl support like they do on quadro we can easily add support in wine for that but for decent 3d support you need much more than that. I expect that on windows nvidia has a game database with some presets for games in it to give you a reasonable experience. For the best support a 3d game needs to be designed with this in mind. In Wine we can't do much without driver support but personally I don't think nvidia will add this functionality.

klikklak 01-26-09 02:25 PM

Are the presets that complicated? I mean the setup has a switch for adjusting the depth. Was the driver on windog side just a regular driver release that added support for 3d vision?

Well, I suppose I have to curb my enthusiasm and just except living without it for now for the sake of software freedom.

Latest wow patch said that they added support for 3d vision, so maybe the code is moving partially to the games and because of this would not only reside in drivers. I'm just speculating without having spent the time to look at the code (not that I would understand it), but still, darn, I'd really like to play with this. Faster processors are exciting only for so long, but display tech, well, that's just sweet.

dberkholz 02-04-09 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erik.vogan (Post 1898150)

I'm in one of those academic labs, and we've already picked up a 3D Vision bundle in the expectation that it will eventually work with our Linux-based Quadro workstations, at which point we look forward to buying many more. Being stuck with buying CRTs and the other companies' clunky 3D goggles sucks.

I'd love it if I could recommend this solution to the rest of the community doing molecular visualization.

albou 02-04-09 12:29 AM

Same here from France: i am a biomolecular scientist and such products would certainly interest the community. We already have some solutions but they seem rather outdated compared to this solution.

We must emphasize that many programs used by scientists work either on linux or solaris so it would be very important for us to have a driver working on linux OS.

Can someone official from nVidia can answer this question on driver ?

DirkReiners 03-05-09 12:10 PM

Same here. I'm a researcher developing 3D Virtual Reality applications, and have been doing it for more than 10 years, so all I need is a quadbuffer and I'll be happy as a clam!

Any word from nVidia would be very welcome...

aurelieng 05-22-09 10:34 AM

Anyone from NVIDIA here ?

29a 08-30-09 04:43 PM

*bump* any news?
Does 3D vision work together with opengl under windows?

Cheers,
Jonas