nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Slow peformance index in windows 7? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=126080)

pjo123 01-10-09 05:37 PM

Slow peformance index in windows 7?
 
Bearing in mind my old graphics card, Nvidia 8800GTX scored 5.9 for gaming graphics on Vista, when I upgraded my PC and brought a Nvidia 280GTX 1GB, I noticed a big performance increase running things like Oblivion etc with everything maxed out.

So I'm a little bit surprised that it only scores 0.1 better on Windows 7

Component Details
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz 7.4 6.0
Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB 7.5
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 280 7.9
Gaming graphics 3070 MB Total available graphics memory 6.0
Primary hard disk 218GB Free (250GB Total) 6.0
Windows 7 Ultimate

I tried a fresh install of Windows 7, ran a performance test without installing any updates or s/w, this time Gaming was 6.5

I then did a windows update and let it install the Nvidia Prerelease WDDM 1.1 drivers.

This dropped the gaming down to 2.0 ????? (normal graphics remained at 7.9)

I then installed the 181.20 drivers (as I had originally before my first performance test) and sure enough, it's back to 6.0

Windows 7 64bit

jcrox 01-10-09 05:45 PM

Re: Slow peformance index in windows 7?
 
I wouldn't put too much stock into the performance index score that's been generated by an OS that's in beta stage

Besides, if your system runs great would it really matter if Windows 7 gave you a pop up that said something along the lines of: Total Junk...You'd be better off throwing your whole system away?

pjo123 01-10-09 06:15 PM

Re: Slow peformance index in windows 7?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jcrox (Post 1899739)
Besides, if your system runs great would it really matter if Windows 7 gave you a pop up that said something along the lines of: Total Junk...You'd be better off throwing your whole system away?

Very true, was just curious :)

jcrox 01-10-09 06:28 PM

Re: Slow peformance index in windows 7?
 
It's probably just not functioning properly due to the fact that the OS is in beta

hell_of_doom227 01-10-09 06:53 PM

Re: Slow peformance index in windows 7?
 
Index Rating is the most retarded thing MS could come up with. If they already wanted to do it it was done wrong like they do everything.

Toss3 01-10-09 06:57 PM

Re: Slow peformance index in windows 7?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hell_of_doom227 (Post 1899803)
Index Rating is the most retarded thing MS could come up with. If they already wanted to do it it was done wrong like they do everything.

What? It gives the general population an idea of what kind of performance they can expect out of their pc and maybe then they'll realise that crysis won't run on a 300$ dell.

hemmy 01-10-09 07:25 PM

Re: Slow peformance index in windows 7?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hell_of_doom227 (Post 1899803)
Index Rating is the most retarded thing MS could come up with. If they already wanted to do it it was done wrong like they do everything.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::thumbdwn:

davejuk 01-11-09 09:18 AM

Re: Slow peformance index in windows 7?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Toss3 (Post 1899804)
What? It gives the general population an idea of what kind of performance they can expect out of their pc and maybe then they'll realise that crysis won't run on a 300$ dell.

You can get a Dell that will run Crysis very well for around 300.

On wednesday I ordered an Inspiron desktop for my sister with the following spec for 320 delivered. It arrived Friday.

Intel Core2 E7300 (2.66GHz, 3MB)
2GB DDR2 800MHz
500GB SAT HDD
DVD+/-RW
ATI Radeon 3650 256MB
Integrated 7.1 Audio
Windows Vista Home Premium

Eliminator 01-12-09 09:51 PM

Re: Slow peformance index in windows 7?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by davejuk (Post 1900134)
You can get a Dell that will run Crysis very well for around 300.

On wednesday I ordered an Inspiron desktop for my sister with the following spec for 320 delivered. It arrived Friday.

Intel Core2 E7300 (2.66GHz, 3MB)
2GB DDR2 800MHz
500GB SAT HDD
DVD+/-RW
ATI Radeon 3650 256MB
Integrated 7.1 Audio
Windows Vista Home Premium

and you expect that system to run crysis with high settings at anything over 640x480?

Yaboze 01-12-09 11:59 PM

Re: Slow peformance index in windows 7?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by davejuk (Post 1900134)
You can get a Dell that will run Crysis very well for around 300.

Not a bad price, but that system will not run Crysis very well. Not with a ATI 3650 for sure.

tijean 01-14-09 10:49 PM

Re: Slow peformance index in windows 7?
 
the new index is perfectly fine....... you got your a@@ kick by 4870X2, GTX 295 and several SLI/CROSSFIRE setup in the gaming result.... also HD configuration with SSD or RAID 0 kick your a@@ too !!


you should overclock your CPU @ 3.2ghz, your CPU score will jump to 7.5 and your memory to 7.8


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.