nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   New 180 driver on ubuntu ibis continues miserable nvidia experience. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=126100)

bobdobbs00 01-11-09 09:16 AM

New 180 driver on ubuntu ibis continues miserable nvidia experience.
 
I'm using a GF8600XT.

I've been using the old, buggy version 96 driver, because the newer versions drop my resolution to a horribly low lever. The cost of using the older driver is that KDE apps are unusable.

I updated to the newest driver, hoping that the persistant and common resolution problem would be solved.

Alas, the newer driver still cannot produce a usable resolution on my system.
This is both with and without the supplied tool creating it's own customised xorg.conf.
So, I'm trying to roll back to the older buggy driver.
(Unfortunatly, this is always a drawn out, painful experience).

I look forward to the day nvidia can correct this extremely annoying problem, and make the 8600 reliable on linux.

NvFuchs 01-11-09 09:34 AM

Re: New 180 driver on ubuntu ibis continues miserable nvidia experience.
 
How about posting a bug report as mentioned in the how to report problems thread?

Or do you think that your problem is going to be solved all by itself?

Fuchs

bobdobbs00 01-11-09 10:24 AM

Re: New 180 driver on ubuntu ibis continues miserable nvidia experience.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by NvFuchs (Post 1900115)
How about posting a bug report as mentioned in the how to report problems thread?

Or do you think that your problem is going to be solved all by itself?

Fuchs

A mite defensive, aren't we?

The bug report will come. But it's not at the top of my list of priorities.
First I aim to repair the video output on my system.
Xorg being as complex as it is, and nvidia linux drivers being as problematic as they are, this will take a while.

I feel that potential users of the new driver should get feedback before jumping in and trying themselves, so that they know what kind of hurdles they might face. Don't you think?

NvFuchs 01-11-09 10:38 AM

Re: New 180 driver on ubuntu ibis continues miserable nvidia experience.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdobbs00 (Post 1900140)
I feel that potential users of the new driver should get feedback before jumping in and trying themselves, so that they know what kind of hurdles they might face. Don't you think?

No. I think that there should be a bug report along, because otherwise you can never be sure whether the problem is not configuration, third party software or, especially in your case, third party hardware (Monitors with broken EDID) related. The nvidia driver clearly has bugs, but there are also many reports in this forum which where finally not related to the driver at all.

Also many people (volunteers and nvidia employees) here try to help solving problems like the ones you are facing, but they do need information in order to be able to help.

As long as you don't provide this information, I'd consider your posting, no offense, as useless from a "users should be warned" and from a "get my problem solved" point of view.

Fuchs

gbil 01-11-09 10:40 AM

Re: New 180 driver on ubuntu ibis continues miserable nvidia experience.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdobbs00 (Post 1900140)
A mite defensive, aren't we?

The bug report will come. But it's not at the top of my list of priorities.
First I aim to repair the video output on my system.
Xorg being as complex as it is, and nvidia linux drivers being as problematic as they are, this will take a while.

I feel that potential users of the new driver should get feedback before jumping in and trying themselves, so that they know what kind of hurdles they might face. Don't you think?

This forum doesn't need any more trolls.

bobdobbs00 01-11-09 06:21 PM

Re: New 180 driver on ubuntu ibis continues miserable nvidia experience.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gbil (Post 1900144)
This forum doesn't need any more trolls.

Easy, tiger.

Like I said to Fuchs - the bug report will come.
But first I have to recover my system to a usable state.
This could take a while.

jonnycat26 01-11-09 07:20 PM

Re: New 180 driver on ubuntu ibis continues miserable nvidia experience.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobdobbs00 (Post 1900467)
But first I have to recover my system to a usable state.
This could take a while.

Yet you have time to come troll on here.

bobdobbs00 01-11-09 10:22 PM

Re: New 180 driver on ubuntu ibis continues miserable nvidia experience.
 
2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnycat26 (Post 1900506)
Yet you have time to come troll on here.

It is not my intent to troll.

Also, iit is quiet possible to post, read and search on a seperate computer while another computer is rebooting or engaging in other time-consuming tasks.
And much rebooting and killing of X has been been happening.

Anyway, for now I have gone back to the 177 driver, installed via ubuntu's restricted drivers manager. The resolution was extremely low again, so I used 'nvidia-xconfig', which I believe changes settings in the xorg.conf.
This didn't work to allow me to change the resolution. It was still very low. So I ran 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg', rebooted.

It looks like this command recreates the xorg.conf and removes references to the nvidia driver provided by ubuntu's driver restricted driver manager.
After the reboot I have normal resolution back, but the windows feel clunky and "smear" across the screen.

The generated xorg is pretty simple:
Code:

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier      "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
        Device          "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

So, the driver was removed from the conf by dpkg. At least I have usable resolution, albeit no advanced functionality from the nvidia card..

Attached to this post is a gzipped generated bug report log and installer log in case it could be useful.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.