nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows 7 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Windows 7 lacking ? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=126104)

Dreamingawake 01-11-09 10:04 AM

Windows 7 lacking ?

So I downloaded and installed the Windows 7 beta and..

It really doesn't seem much different from Vista at all.

Like.. as if Win. 7 couldn't have been applied to Vista in an update....

Am I missing something ?

ATOJAR 01-11-09 11:09 AM

Re: Windows 7 lacking ?

Yeah, Microsoft wouldent have made any money by applying it through a update!

Dreamingawake 01-11-09 11:27 AM

Well yeah, that's true but if that is seriously the case then..

What's the point of Windows 7... Direct X 11 ?

(Assuming it's not possible in Vista, cause if it is.. then.. EFF Windows 7.. lol)

nekrosoft13 01-11-09 11:39 AM

windows 7 is vista second edition, but since vista paranoia is still around they decided to change the name

windows 7 is not even version 7, it is NT version 6.1 (vista was 6.0)

JasonPC 01-11-09 11:52 AM

I definitely think it is what Vista should have been. It reorganizes some things that fell through the cracks between XP and Vista. I do believe DX11 will come out for Vista though.

Zelda_fan 01-11-09 12:00 PM

Windows 7 is amazing

mailman2 01-11-09 12:32 PM

The last two posts pretty much sum it up. Windows 7 is what Vista was supposed to be if it were finished at the time. And yes, Windows 7 is amazing. Much lower resource usage, much quicker and snappier like XP.

Anyone that paid full price for Vista is going to get a screw job though.

mailman2 01-11-09 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 (Post 1900218)

windows 7 is not even version 7, it is NT version 6.1 (vista was 6.0)

They are doing that for application compatibilty. The kernel is actually more like Windows server 2008.

mullet 01-11-09 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft12.5 (Post 1900218)
windows 7 is vista second edition, but since vista paranoia is still around they decided to change the name.

BINGO!!!

Tr1cK 01-11-09 04:06 PM

I love this OS.

The only things I found lacking so far has been the UAC-gadget problem and lack of Quick Launch toolbar. Pinning things to the taskbar is OK, but I keep Firefox and Explorer down there and when taskbar buttons don't grow to the right it throws me off. I made my own toolbar to replace Quick Launch and also hacked in the Vista sidebar that works with UAC off and doesn't take up even half the resources now.

Performance is second to none. In certain areas on WoW, I was having slow downs and some nasty hitching, but it is now gone with W7-64. I was running Vista 32 before, so that may be some of the difference.

mailman2 01-11-09 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tr1cK (Post 1900425)
I was running Vista 32 before, so that may be some of the difference.

I think the performance difference you are seeing there are just the effects of Windows 7 not using every last system resource like Vista does. It's great to come out of a game and see 600MB memory usage, not 1.6GB like Vista. So I'm pretty sure the performance increases in Windows 7 comes from the superior resource management and the fact that the OS isn't sucking your CPU and Ram constantly like Vista does.

This OS runs on laptops that could not even run Vista. There is a big performance difference between this OS and Vista, it's not just a coincedence.

Zelda_fan 01-11-09 05:09 PM

All I'm saying is that Windows 7 is only in beta 1 stage right now, and it's ALREADY better than Vista SP1. Once the code hits RTM it's gonna kill it.