nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   GTX 295 and Microstuttering (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=126339)

Mithan 01-15-09 01:26 PM

GTX 295 and Microstuttering

I just ordered a GTX295 and then I found out about microstuttering.

Now I am tempted to cancel the order or just RMA the damn thing back and get a GTX280 instead.

Questions:
I play at 1920x1200 with an E8400 OC'ed to 3.6ghz, am I going to notice it much in games?

My existing card is a 8800GTS512.

HYBRID 01-15-09 02:10 PM

Re: GTX 295 and Microstuttering

Please not this again I can understand your concern with regards to the expense and all but seriously. The GTX295 is an extremely powerful card and has little to no MS enjoy your card and if you do find that you have MS than return it...but at the very least use it then make a decision dont fret just yet you havent even used it and your already worried!

More than likely the company you buy it from will let you return it within a few days before you find that you indeed have MS.
I can tell you from my experience over the last few days with a variety of different titles that it does not have any issues with regards to microstutter.

grey_1 01-15-09 02:12 PM

[quote=HYBRID;1903717]Please not this again I can understand your concern with regards to the expense and all but seriously. The GTX295 is an extremely powerful card and has little to no MS enjoy your card and if you do find that you have MS than return it...but at the very least use it then make a decision dont fret just yet you havent even used it and your already worried!

More than likely the company you buy it from will let you return it within a few days before you find that you indeed have MS.
I can tell you from my experience over the last few days with a variety of different titles that it does not have any issues with regards to microstutter.[/QUOTE]

Good to hear, I'm considering one and feedback like this is what I've been waiting for.

Mithan 01-15-09 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HYBRID (Post 1903717)
Please not this again I can understand your concern with regards to the expense and all but seriously. The GTX295 is an extremely powerful card and has little to no MS enjoy your card and if you do find that you have MS than return it...but at the very least use it then make a decision dont fret just yet you havent even used it and your already worried!

I can tell you from my experience over the last few days with a variety of different titles that it does not have any issues with regards to microstutter.

I know, its just nobody wants to get the card and find out it annoying the hell out of you if you know what I mean :(

Thanks for your comments.

Curious to hear what other people have experienced.

GASTONCAPO 01-15-09 04:20 PM

dude..ive been using mine and found no STUTTERING at all! and i play all games maxed out at 1920x1200...so far so good! i do get some wierd noise coming from the video card while benching and ****..which i have no clue wtf it does it....but by turning the fan up it doesnt bother me anymore.. I'm planning on getting another one.

m3dude 01-15-09 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mithan (Post 1903677)
I just ordered a GTX295 and then I found out about microstuttering.

Now I am tempted to cancel the order or just RMA the damn thing back and get a GTX280 instead.

Questions:
I play at 1920x1200 with an E8400 OC'ed to 3.6ghz, am I going to notice it much in games?

My existing card is a 8800GTS512.

how much it will bother u is subjective, but its there

Blkout 01-16-09 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m3dude (Post 1903918)
how much it will bother u is subjective, but its there

But if you can't see it, who cares?

jAkUp 01-16-09 11:06 AM

I don't see any microstuttering

-=DVS=- 01-16-09 11:09 AM

I didn't notice any stuttering but that doesn't mean we should stop encouraging Nvidia to work on the problem. ;)

mailman2 01-16-09 11:12 AM

I seem to be more sensitive than others to this too. I would actually have to use the card before I was able to declare micro stutter to be non-existent. There was a website that found a some games to still suffer from micro stutter, not all but some. That would be enough for me to RMA it though.

yea here is one source -

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,6...s_card/?page=3

"In matters of micro stuttering the Geforce GTX 295 is a little less conspicuous. But we can not give and all clear, although the infamous lagging is very unobtrusive in many of the games we tested. In Race Driver Grid for example we weren't able to provoke noticeable micro stuttering at any time - even at (unplayable) 20 fps the card delivers a balanced frame output. Our test with Fraps confirmed this. In Crysis (DX10, Very High) we received similar results: The lags don't become obvious above 30 fps. On the other side there are Left 4 Dead (dt.) and Call of Duty 5, which - depending on framerate settings - reveal noticeable micro stuttering. In L4D 50 fps feel more like 30 fps on a single GPU. In Call of Duty World at War it is not as bad; here 40 fps on the GTX 295 feel like about 30 fps on a GTX 280. Not everyone notices micro stuttering, because the effect depends on one's own preferences.

In addition to this observation there is a input lag which is also connected to the function of the Alternate Frame Renderings (AFR). Dual GPU cards calculate a frame in advance (before it is displayed). Therefore the input lag becomes more annoying (like micro stuttering) if the frame rate drops. Quite logical actually, since at 30 fps a (lost) frame is more important than at 60 fps. This problem also depends on one's own preferences."

I think we can conclude that people that don't see it, just aren't sensitive to it.

m3dude 01-16-09 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blkout (Post 1904532)
But if you can't see it, who cares?

because i personally do see it, and neither of us know if op will see it or not. so im just giving him the facts. microstutter is going to be there we just dont know if its something that bothers him.

Remmy1 01-16-09 05:08 PM

Microstutter is a valid concern with multi-gpu systems. I just recently sold one of my gtx 260(core 216s) because the microstutter rendered the sli setup almost useless. Sure it works in most games only because the frame rates are above the refresh rate of the screen, but if you are trying to play Crysis at Very High settings it was horrible. I had never even heard of microstutter before but I couldn't figure out why 35 to 45 fps with the SLI setup was equivalent to 15-20 fps with a single gtx 260. So what's the point of spending th extra money? A single GTX 260 is just as smooth in most games at 45+ fps as the SLI setup was at 60+.

My concern isn't the games on the market today but the more graphics intensive games on the horizon, of which Crysis is a good indication. I would love to run a gtx 295 but will not spend the money until the problems are gone....completely. Any feedback is great but just because your gtx 295 runs great at 90 fps on Call of Duty doesn't mean the microstutter issues are fixed.