nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   My first blue ray experence. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=126395)

bacon12 01-16-09 11:41 AM

My first blue ray experence.

LG G|GGC-H20L updated firmware, power dvd 7.3. I put in Babylon AD, and press play. Guess what happens? Exactly the reason I was gonna buy a set top box. Black screen it won't play.:o There are thousands of posts on other forums just like this one from people being screwed. So I fetch an update, install it and reboot. Power dvd now just crashes when I try to play that br disk.

This is on an asus M3-HT-deluxe, an x2 6400 3ghz, with 4gigs ram machine. More than capable, and I have a HDCP monitor connected via HDMI.

I let anydvd do its thing and ripped it to my hard drive, then opened the movie .mt2s with wmp (vob sub) just to watch a movie I own.

Pretty sad a pathetic that consumers have to put up with this crap, and I am considering just returning the drive. I can just up convert standard dvds to 1080 and not have any of these problems. Plus there are up convert players that will play divx files off a usb drive for a little more than what I payed for the LG.

Thanks for the copy protection Sony and 20th century Fox, it worked in making a movie I payed good money for unplayable, but I still copied it. I have bought my last BR movie.:thumbdwn:

Dreamingawake 01-16-09 11:47 AM

Re: My first blue ray experence.

lol, laughable at best.

you seriously have some self pity issues. the fact of the matter is, you're making
the situation more difficult than it needs to be.

there are many solutions to playing a blue ray disc. not just your 1st and 'final' experIence. ;)

bacon12 01-16-09 11:51 AM

How am I making it more difficult than it has to be? I payed for the hardware, installed the software, and I should have been watching that movie without any problems.

Really on PC what other options do I have that do not require paying around $100 for some player software that may or may not work?

Toss3 01-16-09 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bacon12 (Post 1904599)
LG G|GGC-H20L updated firmware, power dvd 7.3. I put in Babylon AD, and press play. Guess what happens? Exactly the reason I was gonna buy a set top box. Black screen it won't play.:o There are thousands of posts on other forums just like this one from people being screwed. So I fetch an update, install it and reboot. Power dvd now just crashes when I try to play that br disk.

This is on an asus M3-HT-deluxe, an x2 6400 3ghz, with 4gigs ram machine. More than capable, and I have a HDCP monitor connected via HDMI.

I let anydvd do its thing and ripped it to my hard drive, then opened the movie .mt2s with wmp (vob sub) just to watch a movie I own.

Pretty sad a pathetic that consumers have to put up with this crap, and I am considering just returning the drive. I can just up convert standard dvds to 1080 and not have any of these problems. Plus there are up convert players that will play divx files off a usb drive for a little more than what I payed for the LG.

Thanks for the copy protection Sony and 20th century Fox, it worked in making a movie I payed good money for unplayable, but I still copied it. I have bought my last BR movie.:thumbdwn:

For a pc user you seem all too eager to give up upon encountering your first problem - did you try running Cyberlink's BD advisor?

Getting BD to run perfectly on PC is definitely a chore, but it's nicer to have everything in one box(getting anydvd hd, powerdvd 8 and a player costs as much as a sony BDP-S350). :)

mullet 01-16-09 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bacon12 (Post 1904599)

Try this.
http://www.cyberlink.com/multi/downl...112_en_US.html

nekrosoft13 01-16-09 02:11 PM

anyDVD HD fixes all issues, i couldn't play Firefly BD because of that new FOX BD+, anyDVD HD fixed that

glObalist 01-16-09 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bacon12 (Post 1904614)
Really on PC what other options do I have that do not require paying around $100 for some player software that may or may not work?

Bluray rips + K-Lite Codec Pack

nekrosoft13 01-16-09 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toss3 (Post 1904632)
Getting BD to run perfectly on PC is definitely a chore, but it's nicer to have everything in one box(getting anydvd hd, powerdvd 8 and a player costs as much as a sony BDP-S350). :)

I would never trade in my HTPC for stand-alone player ;)

btw, PLUS XBMC

ViN86 01-16-09 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bacon12 (Post 1904614)
How am I making it more difficult than it has to be? I payed for the hardware, installed the software, and I should have been watching that movie without any problems.

i completely agree with you.

that's why i bought a PS3 lol.

bacon12 01-16-09 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 (Post 1904772)
anyDVD HD fixes all issues, i couldn't play Firefly BD because of that new FOX BD+, anyDVD HD fixed that

I would have thought so as well, maybe there is an issue with pwr dvd. I dunno, and I shouldn't have to bothered with it in the first place. It incredible ironic that I was able to defeat the copy protection without any problems, but I couldn't watch the movie.

I am still mad about it, but I knew it could be a problem. Thanks for the link Mullet, but after applying the patch there it just crashes. Standard dvds still play fine. I would be really pissed if I actually paid for pwr dvd 8, and still had this problem. There are plenty that do. :thumbdwn:

Gonna try XBMC as well.

nekrosoft13 01-16-09 04:45 PM

well XBMC won't play BDs, it is media center alternative

but it will play M2TS (video files from BD disc), if you have anyDVD HD it will play those M2TS files straight from disc.

Redeemed 01-16-09 07:12 PM

Interesting. So far, I've not had any problems with my BR drive... every single BD has played flawlessly.

Well, except for Journey to the Center of the Earth... couldn't get the 3D version to work right. :( Other than that, all movies have played just fine thus far.

In fact, for my new rig, I'm going to be getting a second one of these LG BD/HD-DVD combo drives.

Vista Ultimate x64... if that means anything. :o