nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   I think I am going to get this TV soon, what do you think? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=126728)

ViN86 01-22-09 11:08 AM

I think I am going to get this TV soon, what do you think?
 
ive been lookin for a new 1080p HDTV to replace my aging 720p TV. id like a 120Hz LCD with a good contrast ratio and a price under $1500.

i have found this little beauty:
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Bravia-KD.../dp/B0019GTRM6

has a lot of features and has good reviews (it's actually pretty much an XBR minus 2 or 3 features, see bottom of link).

just wondering if anyone here has one or any other thoughts you guys may have.

|MaguS| 01-23-09 10:01 AM

Re: I think I am going to get this TV soon, what do you think?
 
My friend has one and it looks amazing, but I honestly thought my Panny looked better (we were playing PS3). I know my TV lacks alot of the features but I doubt I will ever notice the lack of them.

The blacks on his set were good but not nearly as dark as I like them but the color vibrancy was just as good. One thing his TV did better was SD resolutions... PS2 and standard TV were better...

ViN86 01-23-09 11:06 AM

Re: I think I am going to get this TV soon, what do you think?
 
so, what should i really be looking for?

is the best picture a combination of contrast ratio, resolution, and refresh rate? or other things?

i really want to get the best bang for my buck and i want 1080p and HDMI. also, the screen absolutely CANNOT have input lag. i will be very upset if any of my games (ie Guitar Hero) lag on the screen.

|MaguS| 01-23-09 12:41 PM

Re: I think I am going to get this TV soon, what do you think?
 
Any decent TV will not have ghosting or input lag. Heck, My sisters old DLP down stairs has none and its over 3 years old now.

I don't know how important refresh rate is when it comes to TVs for normal viewing and gaming, I can only expect it being important for PC hookup and possibly highend Blu-Ray viewing.

Contrast Ratio, Resolution and Black Levels are the most important, look up reviews prior to purchase to make sure the numbers aren't inflated to rediculous numbers.

This is the TV I have and I am extremely satisfied with it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889187081

ViN86 01-23-09 04:40 PM

Re: I think I am going to get this TV soon, what do you think?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by |MaguS| (Post 1910844)
Any decent TV will not have ghosting or input lag. Heck, My sisters old DLP down stairs has none and its over 3 years old now.

I don't know how important refresh rate is when it comes to TVs for normal viewing and gaming, I can only expect it being important for PC hookup and possibly highend Blu-Ray viewing.

Contrast Ratio, Resolution and Black Levels are the most important, look up reviews prior to purchase to make sure the numbers aren't inflated to rediculous numbers.

This is the TV I have and I am extremely satisfied with it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16889187081

honestly, how much difference does 120Hz/24p make?

|MaguS| 01-23-09 07:14 PM

Re: I think I am going to get this TV soon, what do you think?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 1911126)
honestly, how much difference does 120Hz/24p make?

No clue, I never saw the difference.

Imbroglio 01-24-09 08:08 AM

Re: I think I am going to get this TV soon, what do you think?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 1911126)
honestly, how much difference does 120Hz/24p make?


like i told you when i talked to you. 120/24p is supposedly 24 frames per second. At 120hz, it's the same exact screen 5 times, whereas in 60hz something refered to as 2:3 pulldown occurs. While I have a tv that supports 120hz, and a BD players outputting 24p, I honestly don't see that much of a difference. In fact I usually leave the 120hz off when watching cable or playing a game. Of course I have a LCoS display, so I don't have to worry about motion blur (response time is around 16 microseconds, as opposed to 2-8 milliseconds). I also have a few friends with panny plasmas that also never use it. When you think about it, most games are struggling to hit 720/60p (iirc the only one that actually acheives this is GT5).

Like you said though, LCDs can be sensitive to input lag, just make sure you thoroughly research you set (go to store and hook up your 360). :D

ViN86 01-24-09 08:45 AM

Re: I think I am going to get this TV soon, what do you think?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imbroglio (Post 1911570)
like i told you when i talked to you. 120/24p is supposedly 24 frames per second. At 120hz, it's the same exact screen 5 times, whereas in 60hz something refered to as 2:3 pulldown occurs. While I have a tv that supports 120hz, and a BD players outputting 24p, I honestly don't see that much of a difference. In fact I usually leave the 120hz off when watching cable or playing a game. Of course I have a LCoS display, so I don't have to worry about motion blur (response time is around 16 microseconds, as opposed to 2-8 milliseconds). I also have a few friends with panny plasmas that also never use it. When you think about it, most games are struggling to hit 720/60p (iirc the only one that actually acheives this is GT5).

Like you said though, LCDs can be sensitive to input lag, just make sure you thoroughly research you set (go to store and hook up your 360). :D

well the 42" Panasonic Plasma i can get for under $900 so i will probably go with that.

|MaguS| 01-24-09 09:01 AM

Re: I think I am going to get this TV soon, what do you think?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 1911587)
well the 42" Panasonic Plasma i can get for under $900 so i will probably go with that.

Trust me, You wont be disappointed. It's an amazing screen and has been rated the best in its class by many sites.

Revs 01-24-09 09:02 AM

Re: I think I am going to get this TV soon, what do you think?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 1911587)
well the 42" Panasonic Plasma i can get for under $900 so i will probably go with that.

I was about to suggest a Panasonic. I don't think they make a bad TV. Just keep in mind when you're looking at refresh rate to keep you v-sync in mind ;). Mine runs at 60hz and I don't notice any flickering at all.

ViN86 01-24-09 09:03 AM

Re: I think I am going to get this TV soon, what do you think?
 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

I am liking this Panasonic Plasma :D

mullet 01-25-09 10:39 AM

Re: I think I am going to get this TV soon, what do you think?
 
It puts out a ton of heat to, good in the winter.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.