nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U va Samsung LN46A950 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=127384)

nicorulez 02-02-09 04:44 PM

Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U va Samsung LN46A950
 
I am looking to buy a new television in the back for gaming exclusively. Obviously, I can watch some Blu Rays and sports when the wife doesn't want to, but I wanted a concensus opinion on the only board that matters. I love LCD's but my brother has a last gen plasma and it is very nice. Which would you get? Are these new plasma's pretty immune to burn in for games (PS3 and XB360). I heard the Samsung is incredible and can get very dark darks :). Let me know. Thanks all.

Medion 02-03-09 06:28 PM

Re: Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U va Samsung LN46A950
 
As far as LCD versus Plasma, here are some very generic differences:

-Plasma is more susceptible to burn-in, as such, people who play video games should lean towards LCDs (even in fast moving games, there is usually some form of HUD).
-LCD's don't have the same overall visual quality as Plasma, so for a non-video gaming movie buff, Plasma might be the better pick.

However, you shouldn't be comparing the Viera (a good, but not the best Plasma) to a Samsung 9 series (the best LCD). Samsung 9 is more comparable to a Pioneer Kuro Elite (plasma). So if you want the best LCD or Plasma, get a Samsung 9, or Pioneer Kuro Elite, respectively.

I haven't used either, but I do own a Samsung 6. The 6, 7, and 8 are all the same in terms of visual quality, and they're amazing by LCD standards. But the 9 is on another level from what I've heard.

I've also heard that the Samsung 9 suffers from poorer quality when viewed from an angle. If you end up deciding on an LCD over Plasma, and your living room setup includes seats that would view it form an angle greater than 45 degrees, might want to settle on a 6-8 series.

nicorulez 02-06-09 07:23 PM

Re: Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U va Samsung LN46A950
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medion (Post 1922307)
As far as LCD versus Plasma, here are some very generic differences:

-Plasma is more susceptible to burn-in, as such, people who play video games should lean towards LCDs (even in fast moving games, there is usually some form of HUD).
-LCD's don't have the same overall visual quality as Plasma, so for a non-video gaming movie buff, Plasma might be the better pick.

However, you shouldn't be comparing the Viera (a good, but not the best Plasma) to a Samsung 9 series (the best LCD). Samsung 9 is more comparable to a Pioneer Kuro Elite (plasma). So if you want the best LCD or Plasma, get a Samsung 9, or Pioneer Kuro Elite, respectively.

I haven't used either, but I do own a Samsung 6. The 6, 7, and 8 are all the same in terms of visual quality, and they're amazing by LCD standards. But the 9 is on another level from what I've heard.

I've also heard that the Samsung 9 suffers from poorer quality when viewed from an angle. If you end up deciding on an LCD over Plasma, and your living room setup includes seats that would view it form an angle greater than 45 degrees, might want to settle on a 6-8 series.

I was under the impression that Plasma tv's were less susceptible to burn in now and that issue was kind of a moot point. Am I wrong. Also, a Kuro starts at 50 inches and that is too large. How about the LG LED 47 inch television that is a direct competitor to the Samsung. I heard it is pretty nice. Peace everyone. :afro:

Medion 02-06-09 07:35 PM

Re: Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U va Samsung LN46A950
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicorulez (Post 1925240)
I was under the impression that Plasma tv's were less susceptible to burn in now and that issue was kind of a moot point. Am I wrong. Also, a Kuro starts at 50 inches and that is too large. How about the LG LED 47 inch television that is a direct competitor to the Samsung. I heard it is pretty nice. Peace everyone. :afro:

Plasma tvs are less susceptible to burn-in than they used to be, but they can still have it happen. They also tend to come equipped with a white-wash feature to remove burn-in, but that drastically shortens the life of the plasma.

As for the LG LED, I've heard nothing on it so far, but I would be pleasantly shocked if it was on par with a Samsung 9, given their history. My advice for buying a tv has always been, go see it in person before you buy it. Something that I consider "garbage" may be something better to you. Heck, you might even decide on a DLP.

However, I still stand by my original statement, if you're buying the set for games, avoid Plasma.

MikeC 02-07-09 07:39 AM

Re: Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U va Samsung LN46A950
 
The Samsung you've posted is an entire class above the Panasonic. If you are getting this TV strictly for gaming, and are willing to drop the extra coin (~$1000 more) definitely spring for the Samsung. Its hard to go for a 60hz tv after seeing 120hz in action.

nicorulez 02-07-09 09:31 AM

Re: Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U va Samsung LN46A950
 
Thanks guys, you are the best. Now, I know this tv is about 1500 more than the Sammy, but what do you think about the Sony XBR8 (46 inch) flavor. I currently have a XBR2 40 incher and it is still nice to this day, but no 120mhz. It seems odd to me that the Sony is so much more expensive than the Sammy and they are both LED (albeit I believe the Sony has distinct lenses for RGB...please correct me if I recall wrongly). Take care and thanks for the input.

Medion 02-07-09 02:29 PM

Re: Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U va Samsung LN46A950
 
The XBR8 uses the exact same panel as the Samsung 9. However, there are differences. I've heard their LED lighting is better. Their default color scheme is a tad more natural than Samsung's. Their frame interpolation feature (SmoothMotion) is better than Samsung's Auto Motion Plus, though I don't like that feature on ANY set available today.

Get the Sony if you have to absolutely have the best. Get the Samsung if you don't use frame interpolation (the main 120hz feature, aside from 24P), and want generally comparable quality for about 20-25% less cost.

Quote:

The Samsung you've posted is an entire class above the Panasonic. If you are getting this TV strictly for gaming, and are willing to drop the extra coin (~$1000 more) definitely spring for the Samsung. Its hard to go for a 60hz tv after seeing 120hz in action.
Pretty much what I posted in my first post. If he's using a Samsung 9 to represent the LCD, he should be using the best Plasma as well, the Pioneer KURO Elite, and not a Panasonic :)

glObalist 03-10-09 09:03 AM

Re: Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U va Samsung LN46A950
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BarrieByrnes (Post 1953808)
Plasma TVs don't have a long life. On the other hand, LCD has a far longer life span, and can be viewed from most angles in a room

LCD from most angles while plasmas not? Incorrect. If anything, plasmas have no viewing angle problems whatsoever, compared to most LCDs.

As far as lifespan, do you plan to use the one TV for more than 10 years? If not, then this is not a concern in regards to plasma lifespan.

The only real issue with plasmas is the burn-in really: a no no for a gamer.

|MaguS| 03-10-09 09:18 AM

Re: Panasonic Viera TH-46PZ85U va Samsung LN46A950
 
Burn in is the only issue with Plasma now but unless your gaming for 12 hours at a time I don't expect this to be an issue. I play console games often and have had my TV for half a year now without issue.

Oh and your comparison is retared, OP... If your going to put two TVs up side by side atleast put them in the same tier.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.