nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows XP And Vista (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Microsoft Announces Win7 Versions (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=127463)

Bearclaw 02-03-09 02:38 PM

Microsoft Announces Win7 Versions

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2340311,00.asp

Quote:

The six versions available for U.S. customers will be: Windows 7 Home. Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Enterprise and Windows 7 Ultimate.
This is dumb. All these versions is absolutely unneccesary.

Quote:

But Microsoft will only sell Windows 7 Home Premium and Windows 7 Professional at retail, in a bid to eliminate some of the confusion caused by a plethora of Windows Vista versions.
Well, duh. You would have thought they would have learned the first time. :headexplode:

AND THIS is very interesting:
Quote:

Windows 7 Ultimate Edition, meanwhile, won't be sold directly to consumers. Instead, Windows 7 Ultimate will be an upgrade offered only as an add-on, which also means that consumers will be forced to pay for Windows 7 Home Premium or Windows 7 Professional, and then pay again for the upgrade.
I almost like the sound of it because we all bought Vista Ultimate and it was worthless.

We'll see how this goes...

Yaboze 02-03-09 03:26 PM

Re: Microsoft Announces Win7 Versions

I agree, I wish they trimmed down the version to what it was like with XP.

Looks like I am getting Professional because Vista Ultimate was worthless.

What, a few extra card games and .WMV wallpapers? :bleh:

saturnotaku 02-03-09 03:33 PM

Will the upgrade versions function like they did in Vista, where you'd need to install it twice in order to have a "clean" copy? Or will they change it back to how it was with XP, where you could do a clean install from a formatted drive off an upgrade disc, but you'd need to insert a previous, full version copy for verification?

Edit: Apparently, a format/clean install from an upgrade disc will be possible, at least according to this article.

six_storm 02-03-09 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yaboze (Post 1922164)
I agree, I wish they trimmed down the version to what it was like with XP.

Looks like I am getting Professional because Vista Ultimate was worthless.

What, a few extra card games and .WMV wallpapers? :bleh:

+1

MS, go back to the Home and Pro versions, leave every other pointless feature off the map.

ViN86 02-03-09 03:54 PM

only 3 versions necessary imo.

Windows 7 Basic
Windows 7 Business
Windows 7 Ultimate

period.

nekrosoft13 02-03-09 04:10 PM

if ultimate won't available for sale, then i will be buying the pro version aka business.

pro version probably will follow just like vista business and xp pro, simply better version.

Bearclaw 02-03-09 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 (Post 1922222)
if ultimate won't available for sale, then i will be buying the pro version aka business.

pro version probably will follow just like vista business and xp pro, simply better version.

That's the version I will probably go for.

ASUSEN7900GTX 02-03-09 04:29 PM

seems as ultimate won´t be a "oS" in it self rather a add-on and then W7 Pro looks more appealing if it offers better stuff than home premium that is

so i guess Pro will be like ultimate was for vista as there were a home premium in vista as well?

well interesting i guess here in Sweden we will pay about 3-5K for Pro wich is so idiotic why do a OPS has to cost as much as a GFX card?

woul be better if it retailed at 1500-2000SEK instead.

But i guess the greed still is so big a M$ so that is why they charge a fortune and that they are alone no one can compete with them in the same way=monopoly

ViN86 02-03-09 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASUSEN7900GTX (Post 1922237)
seems as ultimate won´t be a "oS" in it self rather a add-on and then W7 Pro looks more appealing if it offers better stuff than home premium that is

so i guess Pro will be like ultimate was for vista as there were a home premium in vista as well?

well interesting i guess here in Sweden we will pay about 3-5K for Pro wich is so idiotic why do a OPS has to cost as much as a GFX card?

woul be better if it retailed at 1500-2000SEK instead.

But i guess the greed still is so big a M$ so that is why they charge a fortune and that they are alone no one can compete with them in the same way=monopoly

there really is no reason why an OS should cost $400. Mac OSX is like $130 and has just as many features.

nekrosoft13 02-03-09 04:45 PM

XP Starter---->Vista Starter---->Win7 Starter (only for developing markets)
XP Home----->Vista Home Basic----->Win7 Home Basic(only for developing markets)
XP Media Center---->Vista Home Premium---->Win7 Home Premium
XP Pro ------->Vista Business----->Win7 Pro
XP Corp ------>Vista Enterprise---->Win7 Enterprise
no XP version------>Vista Ultimate----Win7 Ultimate

that is pretty much how things go, there are slight diffrences from generation to generation.

Ultimate is still combining feautes from Home Premum with Pro(business)

Bearclaw 02-03-09 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 1922242)
there really is no reason why an OS should cost $400. Mac OSX is like $130 and has just as many features.

QFT. Not to mention that there is only ONE version. Much better.

Tr1cK 02-03-09 04:54 PM

I think 3 versions...

Win7 Lite - for netbooks, etc
Win7 - standard home user type of stuff, decent networking, more feature filled (bloat)
Win7 Business - less on the bloat, more on the networking, made for performance, commercial grade