nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   VDPAU - 8400 GS - Which one? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=127819)

reklipz 02-08-09 08:19 PM

VDPAU - 8400 GS - Which one?
 
Well, I had my mind set on purchasing an MSI 8400 GS w/ 256MB RAM, but some of the posts seem to indicate that 256MB isn't enough for proper performance on some of the higher quality encodings.

I'm curious as to how the 8400 GS cards have performed for everyone (in terms of VDPAU). If you have one of these cards (or I guess, any card with 256MB that supports VDPAU, should no one have an 8400 GS), I would greatly appreciate your input.

Candidates are:
MSI N8400GS-TD256H - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127367
MSI NX8400GS-TD512EH - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127342
ASUS EN8400GS SILENT/HTP/256M - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121240
ASUS EN8400GS SILENT/HTP/512M - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121235

The two MSI cards state they are for sure PCI Express 2.0, meaning VDPAU, but only the 256MB ASUS card gives any hint of 2.0 (although ASUS's website says they are both 2.0 and 1.0 _compliant_, but _compliancy_ still doesn't tell much).

Again, I appreciate everyones input.

EDIT ---

If it's not too much hassle, posting the (stock) clockings on the card would be a HUGE benefit. Maybe this could be come some sort of reference thread for those looking to do the same as I am.

Lost Dog 02-08-09 08:37 PM

Re: VDPAU - 8400 GS - Which one?
 
This is the one I have:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121235

It does everything including VC-1. The one down side is it lacks the performance for some of the advanced deinterlacers. Still for $29 after rebate it's hard to turn down.

Kicks the snot out of my onboard 6150... Especially in Mythtv.

jyavenard 02-08-09 09:03 PM

Re: VDPAU - 8400 GS - Which one?
 
From what I've seen, 256MB 8400gs card aren't using the G98 chipset.

512MB are... One additional hint, would be to check at what speed they are running. If running at a speed > 550Mhz then it's the G98 one

reklipz 02-08-09 09:08 PM

Re: VDPAU - 8400 GS - Which one?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jyavenard (Post 1926691)
From what I've seen, 256MB 8400gs card aren't using the G98 chipset.

512MB are... One additional hint, would be to check at what speed they are running. If running at a speed > 550Mhz then it's the G98 one

Newegg says (under special features) that the MSI 256MB card is using a G98 core. Users have reported VDPAU successes with 256MB cards in the "mplayer vdpau" thread.

Vorgus 02-09-09 02:30 AM

Re: VDPAU - 8400 GS - Which one?
 
You can add one more silent card to the list:
GIGABYTE GV-NX84S512HP http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125242

Someone has been led to think this card has 24 SP's where as the rest only have 8. I tend to think it was a miss-print some where that it has 24 SP's, but nether the newegg add or Gigabyte's own web page says how many SP's it has. It does seem to be overclocked according to the specs at Newegg which make me question it's long term reliabilty as this card should fall into the group that had the bump defect and is more likely to die from thermal stress. Combine that fact with a overclocked and fanless design...

neosmatrix 02-09-09 04:16 AM

Re: VDPAU - 8400 GS - Which one?
 
And what's up with these?

B/C:426018336-0094
GeForce™ 8400GS, 512MB, HDMI, DVI, VGA

B/C:426018336-0100
GeForce™ 8400GS, 256MB, HDMI, DVI, VGA

B/C:471846200-9726
GeForce 8400GS, 512MB, HDMI, DVI, VGA

B/C:471846200-9733
GeForce 8400GS, 256MB, HDMI, DVI, VGA

http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapc.php?vgapc_id=7

And yes, I looked twice. The only diffrence listed between them is the "™" Logo.

After I switched off the composite extension in my xorg.conf VDPAU runs so smooth and clear with H264. Please, Nvidia I'd love to buy a new card (9xxx or better) wich supports VC-1, H264 decoding and Bob-Deinterlace.

quadtree 02-09-09 06:09 AM

Re: VDPAU - 8400 GS - Which one?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lost Dog (Post 1926670)
This is the one I have:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121235

It does everything including VC-1. The one down side is it lacks the performance for some of the advanced deinterlacers. Still for $29 after rebate it's hard to turn down.

Kicks the snot out of my onboard 6150... Especially in Mythtv.

I have the same card and identical experience. Works great with mythtv and mplayer and runs very cool.

Lost Dog 02-09-09 08:12 AM

Re: VDPAU - 8400 GS - Which one?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorgus (Post 1926852)
You can add one more silent card to the list:
GIGABYTE GV-NX84S512HP http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125242

Someone has been led to think this card has 24 SP's where as the rest only have 8. I tend to think it was a miss-print some where that it has 24 SP's, but nether the newegg add or Gigabyte's own web page says how many SP's it has. It does seem to be overclocked according to the specs at Newegg which make me question it's long term reliabilty as this card should fall into the group that had the bump defect and is more likely to die from thermal stress. Combine that fact with a overclocked and fanless design...

That thing is seriously overclocked. It's at 650mhz (as opposed to the ASUS at 567mhz). Yeah, I can't imagine that lasting as long as the ASUS with the passive design... Especially in a HTPC case with little cooling.

enito 02-09-09 08:28 AM

Re: VDPAU - 8400 GS - Which one?
 
http://www.pcfactory.cl/ficha.php?id...9-8222595b258c

what about this card, thx !

reklipz 02-09-09 09:42 AM

Re: VDPAU - 8400 GS - Which one?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by neosmatrix (Post 1926876)
And what's up with these?

B/C:426018336-0094
GeForce™ 8400GS, 512MB, HDMI, DVI, VGA

B/C:426018336-0100
GeForce™ 8400GS, 256MB, HDMI, DVI, VGA

B/C:471846200-9726
GeForce 8400GS, 512MB, HDMI, DVI, VGA

B/C:471846200-9733
GeForce 8400GS, 256MB, HDMI, DVI, VGA

http://www.gainward.com/main/vgapc.php?vgapc_id=7

And yes, I looked twice. The only diffrence listed between them is the "™" Logo.

According to the pdf's provided by gainward, the non "™" editions seem to be a later "revision", supporting PCI-E 2.0 and having a 567MHz core clock. It also claims they all support third gen PureVideo HD, and have "DDR-700" RAM... Quite a few inconsistencies, I guess card manufacturers are able to get away with this kind of stuff nowadays, however. Shame really.

reklipz 02-09-09 10:01 AM

Re: VDPAU - 8400 GS - Which one?
 
Found some pretty sound numbers after a bit of research:

MSI N8400GS-TD256H
Core: 450MHz
Mem: 256MB GDDR2 SDRAM 64-bit @ 800MHz

MSI NX8400GS-TD512EH
Core: 459MHz
Mem: 512MB GDDR2 SDRAM 64-bit @ 533MHz

ASUS EN8400GS SILENT/HTP/256M
Core: 500MHz
Mem: 256MB GDDR2 SDRAM 64-bit @ 667MHz

ASUS EN8400GS SILENT/HTP/512M
Core: 567MHz
Mem: 512MB GDDR2 SDRAM 64-bit @ 800MHz

It seems the ASUS EN8400GS SILENT/HTP/512M is the clear winner here, and it may actually have 1GHz memory clockings, but this is not confirm-able unless someone posts up here.

I'm gonna grab the ASUS card over the MSI card simply because of the clockings. I hope it's worth the extra $7!!

roger1818 04-22-10 01:10 PM

Re: VDPAU - 8400 GS - Which one?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by reklipz (Post 1926978)
Found some pretty sound numbers after a bit of research:
MSI NX8400GS-TD512EH
Core: 459MHz
Mem: 512MB GDDR2 SDRAM 64-bit @ 533MHz

According to MSI's website the NX8400GS-TD512EH has the following specs:

Core: 567MHz
Mem: 512MB GDDR2 64-bit @ 800MHz

I am trying to decide between it and the GIGABYTE GV-NX84S512HP

Core: 650MHz
Mem: 512MB GDDR2 DDR2 64-bit @ 800MHz

I am leaning towards the GV-NX84S512HP as it apparently is a PCIe 2.0 card and will fit in a single slot though the NX8400GS-TD512EH is tempting as I can get it locally. I also read that the NX8400GS-TD512EH only has 8 Stream Processors, where as the GV-NX84S512HP has 16, though I don't know if that is true.

I need a card that can down convert HD material to an analog TV (so I require TV-OUT).


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.