nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   EVGA - Step-up is a marketing scam (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=127852)

zyklon69 02-09-09 12:35 PM

EVGA - Step-up is a marketing scam

So... i bought a 260 gtx thinking that i could do the step-up when the new cards arrive. Well.. no.. i've been in queue for a week and i've moved from being #115th in line to #110 in a week! The step-up does not offer any kind of "deal" to the consumer. I feel that it would have been more beneficial to sell the card on ebay and buy a new card somewhere else. The step-up program sucks, if anyone is learning towards evga because of this marketing scheme, think again.

methimpikehoses 02-09-09 12:36 PM

Re: EVGA - Step-up is a marketing scam

It's worked out for plenty of people. It's not an overnight solution though... if you want quick turnaround then use ebay.

zyklon69 02-09-09 12:48 PM

Im not expecting an overnight solution. The step-up is supposed to give the consumer some kind of "deal". Losing time and money does is equate to a deal. Im not the only person who is dealing with this issue. Lots of people have been waiting months in queue fot their turn. EVGA needs to "step-up".

nekrosoft13 02-09-09 12:53 PM

haha, meth give up, some people just love to complain about EVERYTHING

methimpikehoses 02-09-09 12:55 PM

like people who complain about the audio in W@W... :bleh:

zyklon69 02-09-09 01:02 PM

I hope you guys never run your own business. You're both due for failure.

Q 02-09-09 01:32 PM

The guy has a legitimate concern. He moved from 110 to 105 in a week. At the rate that is going its going to take him 6 months to "Step Up". By then the next refresh will be available.

saturnotaku 02-09-09 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zyklon69 (Post 1927091)
Im not expecting an overnight solution. The step-up is supposed to give the consumer some kind of "deal". Losing time and money does is equate to a deal. Im not the only person who is dealing with this issue. Lots of people have been waiting months in queue fot their turn. EVGA needs to "step-up".

Care to back up your assertion that "lots of people have been waiting months?" Step-up orders are probably the last ones processed, after major retailers (Newegg, et al), system integrators (Alienware, et al), and eVGA's own online store. If a product is hot, it's going to be in short supply.

But go ahead and try to sell your card on eBay. Good luck getting even 80% of what you originally paid for the card. I did a step-up to an 8800GTX back in the day, and I was in the queue for about 2 weeks, IIRC. It's not like you'll lose your place in line or lose the ability to step up because they don't have stock at the moment.

It's not eVGA's fault that you're impatient.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q
The guy has a legitimate concern. He moved from 110 to 105 in a week. At the rate that is going its going to take him 6 months to "Step Up". By then the next refresh will be available.

I'm guessing that he's stepping up to a GTX 285 or 295, both of which are brand new products that haven't been at retail very long. As such, step-up requests are probably going to take longer to fill than, say, for someone moving from an 8800 to a GTX 260. The initial move through the queue can take a bit, but once eVGA gets supply (it's not as if they're only ordering one card at a time), his position will move up quicker than he thinks.

bobmitch 02-09-09 01:40 PM

If you have been an EVGA customer for any length of time, you will also understand that they do LARGE lots of Step Ups at a time...so when you only moved 5 slots in a week...the next day...you might ship. It all comes down to how large the stock is at the time. As long as you have the Step Up in...you will get it. They have been known for shipping out 50-100 in a day...

fugu_fish 02-09-09 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zyklon69 (Post 1927076)
So... i bought a 260 gtx thinking that i could do the step-up when the new cards arrive. Well.. no.. i've been in queue for a week and i've moved from being #115th in line to #110 in a week! The step-up does not offer any kind of "deal" to the consumer. I feel that it would have been more beneficial to sell the card on ebay and buy a new card somewhere else. The step-up program sucks, if anyone is learning towards evga because of this marketing scheme, think again.

Sometimes the queues are long but it is definitely a great program. I have used it on multiple occasions. You get credit for the full purchase price of your old card! Be patient. You can go from 110 to 6 in a couple of days sometimes..

SLippe 02-09-09 02:07 PM

I've also used the Step-Up program in the past and really liked it. It's a better experience if you have a back-up card to use while you wait, but hey, getting the amount of what you paid for the original card towards a new one beats all! Like saturnotaku said, good luck selling it on eBay and getting a decent price for it.

Patience Is A Virtue.

Q 02-09-09 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnotaku (Post 1927132)
I'm guessing that he's stepping up to a GTX 285 or 295, both of which are brand new products that haven't been at retail very long. As such, step-up requests are probably going to take longer to fill than, say, for someone moving from an 8800 to a GTX 260. The initial move through the queue can take a bit, but once eVGA gets supply (it's not as if they're only ordering one card at a time), his position will move up quicker than he thinks.

Ahhhhh. I see. I've never used it before...and I'm kinda out of the loop on this stuff.