nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   GTX 280 - a problem (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=129112)

Przemek 02-27-09 01:15 AM

GTX 280 - a problem

I have just bought a Gigabyte GTX 280 card. It works well except for one thing:
some operation (I cannot tell, which one exactly, but it probably has to do something with
copying pixels during window scrolling) causes an unpleasant screen flicker; this occurs most
often during KDE sessions. I would like to know, whether it is caused by a driver bug, or
rather my card is faulty. The system configuration is: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 quad processor,
2GB RAM, Samsung Syncmaster 204B monitor with 1600x1200 resolution at 60Hz frame rate,
32 bit Linux SuSE 10.3, NVIDIA driver 180.22. I would be grateful for an explanation of this
phenomenon and an advice how to solve this problem.
Sincerely,
Przemek.

xorbe 02-27-09 01:00 PM

Re: GTX 280 - a problem

I had this once with a faulty monitor. You didn't say DVI or analog.

Also, try the Linux forum a little further down on the main forum page.

Welcome to NVnews!

Przemek 03-01-09 06:49 AM

This is certainly not a problem with the monitor; it worked well for more than
a year with a Gainward 8800 GTS card (with the same resolution and frame rate).
The card and monitor are connected with a digital cable. Without KDE the problem
still occurs, though not that often due to less intensive screen operations.
Regards,
Przemek.

CaptNKILL 03-01-09 09:15 AM

When I reinstalled Windows Vista recently I had a problem with the screen flashing when I clicked the audio control panel window for my X-Fi. I have no idea why it did this but it was something software related for sure. I think I just rebooted and it went away, though I may have reinstalled the driver. I can't remember for sure.

I'd try uninstalling the video drivers completely and installing the latest version again.

Spyke 03-10-09 09:06 PM

This is the familiar powermizer related problem that has yet to be fixed. If you were running gkrellm you'd also have an annoying flicker every second. Has to do with the low clockspeed of the card and the Linux driver. Add the following to your /etc/modprobe.conf and reboot. This will lock the card at performance level 3 which should fix any annoying flicker while scrolling. I'm unable to get the Linux NVIDIA devs to acknowledge this issue as of yet, maybe you can go on over to the Linux forums and help out.

Code:

options nvidia NVreg_RegistryDwords="PerfLevelSrc=0x2222" NVreg_Mobile=3

Przemek 03-24-09 11:24 AM

Hello,
I panicked and sent the card to the service for checking.
Now I have it back, I followed the advice and it works fine.
Thanks and all the best,
Przemek

hell_of_doom227 03-24-09 12:51 PM

GTX280 and Linux ... what a waste.