nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   GTX280 temps, should I be worried? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=129708)

Pentel 03-08-09 09:12 AM

GTX280 temps, should I be worried?

Hello everyone,

I know that there is a sticky about GTX280 overheating but it seems that no one is looking there anymore and second my temperatures aren't THAT extreme. But still I am a little worried.

My Gigabyte 280 is idling around 47-55C tops. While playing games it is around 78C, sometimes lower.

There are only 2 games that made it go over 80C. The first game is Crysis with custom maps and tweaks – never gone above 83C. Second game is Empire: Total war which easily makes my card go 84C (but not above) on the campaign map!

Are these temperatures normal or not? Or in other words, I know that the lower the temp the better, but should I be worried?

I use RivaTuner to monitor my temps. I have launched FurMark for a few minutes and my card went to 86C (fan started being loud) and temp dropped by 1C to 85C and shave tayed at that level.

Everything is at stock clocks, I have not modified any fan speed in RivaTuner (I’m scared that when I set it to 100% or something, my fan will die very fast).

Please don’t be rude to me, as you can see I am no expert in hardware things. And sorry for my English as it is my second language.

Cheers.

fasedww 03-08-09 11:24 AM

Re: GTX280 temps, should I be worried?

I think that's ok for temps. Sometimes when I'm playing games for a long time, and exit to windows I'll turn my fan speed up to 100% for a minute just too cool down faster, then put it back on auto.:)

Pentel 03-08-09 12:38 PM

Thank you for your answer.

Currently I'm playing around (testing) with Riva Tuner. Should I set up fan speed at 70% when card hits 70C? I don't want to put the fan 100%.

I'm not sure about the default fan speed either, from RT showed me it was at 40%. So I guess 70% > 70C should be ok. What do you think?

fasedww 03-08-09 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentel (Post 1952375)
Thank you for your answer.

Currently I'm playing around (testing) with Riva Tuner. Should I set up fan speed at 70% when card hits 70C? I don't want to put the fan 100%.

I'm not sure about the default fan speed either, from RT showed me it was at 40%. So I guess 70% > 70C should be ok. What do you think?

The fan speed goes up and down by itself, but lets say you quit a game it will go back to 40% quick even if temp is at 76 degress, I just manually up it for awhile to cool it down faster, 70% is fine :D

Ancient76 03-08-09 01:41 PM

Quote:

Are these temperatures normal or not?
They are normal.

Pentel 03-08-09 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ancient76 (Post 1952418)
They are normal.

Thanks. I'm just curious because you can't find definite answer.
Some people say that 80C for this card is borderline and it should run cooler. Others say it is absolutely normal. :)

I'm just trying not to destroy it on stock clocks.

Also, with this speed fan thingy. Surely running it on higher % will make it die sooner, but should I worry about it? I mean, by that time it would like, 3-4 years later?

Cheers everyone.

fasedww 03-08-09 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pentel (Post 1952435)
Thanks. I'm just curious because you can't find definite answer.
Some people say that 80C for this card is borderline and it should run cooler. Others say it is absolutely normal. :)

I'm just trying not to destroy it on stock clocks.

Also, with this speed fan thingy. Surely running it on higher % will make it die sooner, but should I worry about it? I mean, by that time it would like, 3-4 years later?

Cheers everyone.

I would'nt worry about fan speed, just that it might be noiser thats all, well maybe don't run it 100% forever.:)

Pentel 03-08-09 06:33 PM

Thanks guys.

I have set the fan during load to 65% and the temps dropped from 84 in E:TW (the biggest temp I have ever had) to 70-72.

Since my average temps in "normal" games was at 78 and now is below 70 I'm very happy. Guess I shouldn't have been scared of Riva Tuner. :P

Cheers