nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   RMA'd 8800 Ultra SSC and received GTX 260 back?? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=129748)

hokeyplyr48 03-09-09 08:21 AM

RMA'd 8800 Ultra SSC and received GTX 260 back??
 
I RMA'd my 8800 Ultra (the fastest one evga made, N887) through EVGA which still is a top card today. It still can run all my games at 2560x1600 with no problems whatsoever except crysis of course. It started giving me BSOD and causing lock-ups and giving me nklddm or whatever stopped responding messages. So I RMA'd it and they're sending me back a GTX 260.

I feel like this is a significant downgrade, what do you guys think? I'm not trying to get a free upgrade, but I just don't want to lose anything other than the $500 price difference for what I originally paid for the card last year.

Wolken007 03-09-09 08:47 AM

Re: RMA'd 8800 Ultra SSC and received GTX 260 back??
 
No, this is quite a nice upgrade. The 8800 Ultra was a great card, but I wouldn't consider it still to be a top card today. It is by no means a bad card, but not a top performer with high levels of AA/AF applied.

http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards....=515&card2=577

Take a look there, compare the specs. The GTX260 will give you quite a performance increase.

walterman 03-09-09 09:04 AM

Re: RMA'd 8800 Ultra SSC and received GTX 260 back??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by hokeyplyr48 (Post 1952760)
I RMA'd my 8800 Ultra (the fastest one evga made, N887) through EVGA which still is a top card today. It still can run all my games at 2560x1600 with no problems whatsoever except crysis of course. It started giving me BSOD and causing lock-ups and giving me nklddm or whatever stopped responding messages. So I RMA'd it and they're sending me back a GTX 260.

I feel like this is a significant downgrade, what do you guys think? I'm not trying to get a free upgrade, but I just don't want to lose anything other than the $500 price difference for what I originally paid for the card last year.

The GTX260 has higher bandwidth, higher shading power, more memory, better Purevideo engine, power saving modes, CUDA 1.3 support, ...

It's a nice deal man. :thumbsup:

My story with XFX Europe really ended horrible: (throwpc)
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=94262

I bought a "600 Euros 7900GTX XT 512MB", and after 6 months without gfx card, and 2 RMAs, they wanted to send me a "120 Euros 8600GT 256MB".

I never marry with any brand, but now i'm a happy eVGA customer, and i'm not returning to XFX Europe. They dunno how to deal with the enthusiast buyers.

hokeyplyr48 03-09-09 09:09 AM

Re: RMA'd 8800 Ultra SSC and received GTX 260 back??
 
alright well I'll take your word for it. I just saw reviews and it looked like an average card and the clocks were higher on the Ultra. It comes today so we'll see how it goes!

JohnDio 03-09-09 09:32 AM

Re: RMA'd 8800 Ultra SSC and received GTX 260 back??
 
To put it simple, EVGA is the best manufacturer. My 8800GTX was from XFX and although i didn't encounter any problem at all (it still works perfectly) i was pissed that i couldn't get an EVGA (as the offers from EVGA are great, even for motherboards). Also the support from them is great, as well as their forum that can help a lot of their customers!

Dreamweavernoob 03-09-09 07:59 PM

Re: RMA'd 8800 Ultra SSC and received GTX 260 back??
 
Even though the card is faster I would be slightly annoyed myself @ paying $500 only last year and now getting a card which is substantially cheaper back.


Way it goes I suppose.


I RMA'ed a 7900GT and got a 9600GT back. Happy enough with it. (going to use it as a physix card)

Madpistol 03-10-09 12:26 AM

Re: RMA'd 8800 Ultra SSC and received GTX 260 back??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamweavernoob (Post 1953413)
Even though the card is faster I would be slightly annoyed myself @ paying $500 only last year and now getting a card which is substantially cheaper back.


Way it goes I suppose.


I RMA'ed a 7900GT and got a 9600GT back. Happy enough with it. (going to use it as a physix card)

Economics 101: most things lose their value overtime, especially when something newer/cheaper/faster comes out to replace it. Thus, a $250 card now outperforms a $500-$600 card then.

Still, you're getting a higher performing card than your original card, and it costs you shipping and handling (if that). Count your blessings dude... They are not obligated to send you the same card, much less a more powerful one.

When my 8800 GTX went out, I was going to be happy with another 8800 GTX. However, I got sent a 9800 GTX+. Originally, I was pissed because I thought it was slower than the 8800 GTX. After testing it in both games and synthetic benchmarks, though, it came out to be about 5-10% faster in most games. On top of that, it uses less power and runs cooler as well.

Since then, I haven't complained. You shouldn't either. ;)

wysiwyg 03-11-09 09:27 AM

Re: RMA'd 8800 Ultra SSC and received GTX 260 back??
 
you have to be a complete numbty to complain about receiveing a faster card (cheaper or not)

the whole point is to have a faster card as a gamer

hokeyplyr48 03-11-09 09:30 AM

Re: RMA'd 8800 Ultra SSC and received GTX 260 back??
 
i wasn't complaining about receving a faster card, i was wondering if i was actually receiving a faster card as every single clock on the 260 is slower than what was on my current card.

wysiwyg 03-11-09 10:04 AM

Re: RMA'd 8800 Ultra SSC and received GTX 260 back??
 
sorry my reply was aimed at Dreamweavernoob not you

Koko56 03-11-09 04:27 PM

Re: RMA'd 8800 Ultra SSC and received GTX 260 back??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamweavernoob (Post 1953413)
Even though the card is faster I would be slightly annoyed myself @ paying $500 only last year and now getting a card which is substantially cheaper back.


Way it goes I suppose.


I RMA'ed a 7900GT and got a 9600GT back. Happy enough with it. (going to use it as a physix card)

Well, as far as performance goes, you would be plain ignorant to complain about 7900GT -> 9600GT.

Also - OP, again, now you can have performance of the 8800 Ultra for about 1/4 the price of it at launch.

Overall - a great deal for you!

WM - yeah I had something odd with Razer recently...

Dreamweavernoob 03-11-09 05:24 PM

Re: RMA'd 8800 Ultra SSC and received GTX 260 back??
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Koko56 (Post 1955358)
Well, as far as performance goes, you would be plain ignorant to complain about 7900GT -> 9600GT.

Also - OP, again, now you can have performance of the 8800 Ultra for about 1/4 the price of it at launch.

Overall - a great deal for you!

WM - yeah I had something odd with Razer recently...

im not complaining about my RMA :D


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.