nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   i am a linux NOOBIE (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12981)

arshishb 06-06-03 08:12 PM

i am a linux NOOBIE

Hi just installed linux red hat 9.0 today & honestly this is the first time I have even "felt" Linux. SO far so good , things are running fine. Now I have downloaded the latest Linux drivers for my GF3 ti200 & since I am a wndows user I just the installer will wrok. Well upon reading the readme I am told that i need to NOT start the X server. SO how do I go about doing that? I would really like to install these drivers as I am realy curious to see what Linux can do on OPenGL performance, not just for games but for my mapping activities :D

Thanks to all in advance :)

bwkaz 06-06-03 09:22 PM

Open a terminal

su

Type in your root password

/sbin/init 3

X will shut down and you'll end up at a text mode login screen. To start X back up again, you do (amazingly enough) a startx.

X will also start up next time you reboot, which can be done with an init 6 as root.

If you get "init: command not found", then use /sbin/init instead of just plain init.

arshishb 06-07-03 12:49 PM

now what ?

OK so I did get into the text mode & srtart installation. Then the option of connecting to the Nvidia FTP site comes & I click YES. Well it tells me that it didnt find anyting & I need to update the kernel ??:confused: :confused: I have already updated the Linux Kernel to the latest one using the update automatic update feature in Red Hat 9. NOw what? PLs guide me as I have absolutely no clue whats going on :confused: To show what a noob I am it took me a couple of hours on how to get a simple MSN clone running :( Thanks in advance.

Dr0Zz 06-07-03 03:15 PM

well d00d what i personally like doing is editing the /etc/inittab and changing the line that says id:5:initdefault to say id:3:initdefault...the 5 is the default value and that is what brings you directly to X when you boot up your box...the 3 has it boot directly to console..the reason why i do this is because if something goes wrong (which you will see plenty has gone wrong if you look through this fourm) then i can easily recover from the error cause i know my machine will boot directly into console on a restart...otherwise say you do get a problem and it doesn't go to X when you install the drivers, then everytime you reboot it will try to go to X cause you have id:5:initdefault, but you don't want it to go to X cause you know it don't work...so then you run yourself into a situation....thats a little lenghty explaination but i just want you to understand what i am getting at...and plus, if the driver installation works fine and you want to change that 3 back to a 5 in the inittab, then its easy as done...

so anyways, you do it your way to get into console mode, and once you are there, all you have to do is navigate to the directory where the shell script nvidia installer is at and su to root, type your root password in and start the installer by typing...
"sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4363.run"
without the quotes...this wont' take long at all, and when it is done, you will edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config file according to the readme file, heres an excerpt from the file:
Quote:

Driver "nv" (or Driver "vesa") with Driver "nvidia" In the Module section, make sure you have: Load "glx" You should also remove the following lines: Load "dri" Load "GLcore"
that is basically all you have to do...now, when that is done, type "exit" at the prompt to get outta your root login, and then type "startx" at the prompt....with any luck you should see the X GUI and be on your way...if it doesn't work, then thats when you come back here and tell us what happend :P
GL!

arshishb 06-07-03 03:39 PM

YEs I have done till the step where I get into a terminal out of X & then start teh Nvidia run file , but after that I cant do anything as it says that I dont have some Nvidia kernel? :confused: What is that ? Thats where I get stuck. PLs help me as I seriusly have no clue whats going on.

Dr0Zz 06-07-03 05:20 PM

well without the exact error your getting i can't really help all that much, but one thing i'd advise you doing is reading the readme file, there is lots of installer options that you can use which may help you get through this...where you said you updated your kernel through the rhn network, maybe you could specify the link to the new kernel in the installer, cause when you do a kernel update through redhat, the older kernel is still on your machine...but again i don't really know what your problem is, but again read the readme, and you may get some hints from it..

nvidia readme file

arshishb 06-07-03 05:56 PM

OK heres what i have done.

Quote:

nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
creation time: Sat Jun 7 18:00:42 2003

option status:
license pre-accepted : false
update : false
force update : false
expert : false
uninstall : false
driver info : false
no precompiled interface: true
no ncurses color : false
query latest driver ver : false
OpenGL header files : false
no questions : false
silent : false
XFree86 install prefix : /usr/X11R6
OpenGL install prefix : /usr
Installer install prefix: /usr
kernel include path : (not specified)
kernel install path : (not specified)
proc mount point : /proc
ui : (not specified)
tmpdir : /tmp
ftp site : ftp://download.nvidia.com

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
-> License accepted.
-> Not probing for precompiled kernel interfaces.
ERROR: Unable to find the kernel header files for the currently running kernel.
Please make sure you have installed the kernel header files for your
kernel; on Red Hat Linux systems, for example, be sure you have the
'kernel-source' rpm installed. If you know the correct kernel header
files are installed, you may specify the kernel include path with the
'--kernel-include-path' commandline option.
ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file
'/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions
on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux
driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
Also I did specify to the installer what kernel I am using , the one that got updated through RHN.

I also booted into my old kernel & tried to update from there but i got the same errors.

I went manually to nVidia FTP & downloaded 2 files which are NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4363.tar.gz and NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4363.tar.gz .

The GLX file was "installed" but the kernel doesnt seem to be installing, I read it in the readme of the tar file & followed the instructions. I hope all this info was useful. I really hope to get working before I now start pulling me hair out.

Leatherdoll 06-10-03 02:35 AM

try installing your kernel source.
start -> system settings -> add/rem appilications
then select kernel development and install it.
after it, update agent wants to update that source and update it. then it should work.

mmaster 06-10-03 07:01 AM

I wonder if youa re in framebuffer mode. that keeps the nvidia kernel from loading properly as I recall...

cat out your /etc/lilo.conf and/or your /etc/grub.conf

I think RH9 uses grub by default....

I'm betting we'll see a line with vga=XX where xx is a two digit number....

Dr0Zz 06-10-03 02:19 PM

or you can just install your kernel sources.

arshishb 06-10-03 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Leatherdoll
try installing your kernel source.
start -> system settings -> add/rem appilications
then select kernel development and install it.
after it, update agent wants to update that source and update it. then it should work.

YES thats what was mising & now it installed yaayy :D:D Phew. Thanks man :)

I do have one more question, how do i know if I am running at AGP 4X ?

quelx 06-10-03 02:42 PM

in a terminal type
"cat /var/log/XFree86.0.log|grep AGP"

you should see a line to the effect of
"(II) NVIDIA(0): AGP 4X successfully initialized
"

your X may log somewhere else so you might have to change the XFree86.0.log part

-Travis