nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   will a mac video card work on a pc? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=130609)

Getitdone007 03-25-09 12:29 AM

will a mac video card work on a pc?
 
Does anyone know if a MAC video card like http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC...1&s=topSellers will work with a PC if the PC has a PCI express 2 SLOT? there also are windows drivers available for this card at http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvist...2.08_whql.html

Has anyone tried it ?

AthlonXP1800 03-25-09 01:39 AM

Re: will a mac video card work on a pc?
 
No it wont work with nvidia mac BIOS rom on PC unless it flashed with nvidia PC BIOS rom and it will work.

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/nvidia-general-flashing

Getitdone007 03-25-09 02:14 AM

Re: will a mac video card work on a pc?
 
is it hard to do? could you maybe assist me?

Getitdone007 03-25-09 02:16 AM

Re: will a mac video card work on a pc?
 
the link you linked me is for agp .. this is a PCIE 2 .. and people reported doing it by installing it with a vista driver.. the link you linked me was for a g4.. the new MAC PRO video cards i linked run on the intel machines so i assume it might work alot easier

CaptNKILL 03-25-09 02:31 AM

Re: will a mac video card work on a pc?
 
So, why exactly would you want to use a Mac graphics card in a PC anyway? All of that crap is outrageously overpriced and outdated.

Getitdone007 03-25-09 10:40 AM

Re: will a mac video card work on a pc?
 
because the mac one has a mini display out.. so i could hook up my 24" ACD to it. :)

Bman212121 03-25-09 06:31 PM

Re: will a mac video card work on a pc?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Getitdone007 (Post 1967161)
the link you linked me is for agp .. this is a PCIE 2 .. and people reported doing it by installing it with a vista driver.. the link you linked me was for a g4.. the new MAC PRO video cards i linked run on the intel machines so i assume it might work alot easier

Yea, I was able to install Vista onto a Mac Pro that has an 8800GT in it. The Nvidia drivers worked just fine there so I don't think you'll have issues buying one and putting it into your pc.

Getitdone007 03-25-09 09:43 PM

Re: will a mac video card work on a pc?
 
well i asked the question in another forum.. talked to a guy who happend to live 30 mins from me.. met up with him 2night and he has a mac radeon 4860 i think it is he bought from apple and he has a ACD hooked up via mini display ports so maybe you guys didnt know that macs use intel processors now or somthing but i already ordered mine .. :) thanks for help tho

KasuCode 03-25-09 11:16 PM

Re: will a mac video card work on a pc?
 
Macs use intel processors?

Bob Vicktor 03-31-09 04:31 AM

Re: will a mac video card work on a pc?
 
A couple questions. First, did you get it to work? I'll take not responding as a yes.

Second,
Quote:

Originally Posted by Getitdone007 (Post 1967998)
i think it is he bought from apple and he has a ACD hooked up via mini display ports so maybe you guys didnt know that macs use intel processors now or somthing but i already ordered mine .. :) thanks for help tho

Do you mean he has a Mac card in a pc or a Mac card in a Mac? Big difference.

Third, what does the intel have to do with it? Just curious what you thought that might mean because while the architecture of the chip matters for the software (OS), it doesn't necessarily effect the other hardware. If you look at other forums it is the BIOS of the graphics card that matters.

Oh, and FYI: They have had Intel chips for something like three years now. I was sad to see them ditch the Power PC chips, but there isn't any better Intel chip they could have moved to then the Core.

saturnotaku 03-31-09 07:41 AM

Re: will a mac video card work on a pc?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Vicktor (Post 1971798)
Oh, and FYI: They have had Intel chips for something like three years now. I was sad to see them ditch the Power PC chips, but there isn't any better Intel chip they could have moved to then the Core.

Sad to see Apple ditch a grossly inferior architecture?

My work computer is a Power PC Mac, and using it is an exercise in frustration.

KasuCode 03-31-09 07:44 AM

Re: will a mac video card work on a pc?
 
I was just joking. ;)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.