nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows 7 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Windows 7: Build 7057 blocks third-party video codecs (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=130694)

nekrosoft13 03-26-09 07:15 PM

Windows 7: Build 7057 blocks third-party video codecs

The latest beta of Windows 7 blocks the usage of third party video decoders from Windows Media Player and MCE. Albain, a DirectShow (ffdshow) developer explains in his own words what he encountered when he was testing the multimedia pipeline of Windows 7 in the latest build 7057.

"Microsoft has locked mpeg4 and h264 codecs into Media Foundation, the replacer of DirectShow (even if directshow is still supported).There is no way to override those codecs, even if you develop a Media Foundation version of your decoder, because Microsoft maintains a list of preferred codecs (their codecs) into the registry (HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT and HKLM \MediaFoundation\Transforms\Preferred), and this registry key cannot be modified, even in admin mode. Only TrustedInstaller user can modify it, which is FYI the user that protects system files, and it cannot be used. Microsoft brought those new codecs, but blocked the possibility to use alternate codecs in their applications."

Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player users might need to worry whether things would still be the same in Windows 7 RC or whether it might change, even though there are alternative players options.

The E7 team revealed last month that in addition to built in DivX support, Windows Media Player will also natively support the .mov files.

http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/0...y-video-codecs

t3hl33td4rg0n 03-27-09 02:18 AM

Re: Windows 7: Build 7057 blocks third-party video codecs

If it supports DivX/XviD/AVC/x264 I dont care, although I do have CoreAVC and prefer to use that.

Tr1cK 03-27-09 06:30 AM

As long as VLC still works, then I don't care.

nekrosoft13 03-27-09 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t3hl33td4rg0n (Post 1969055)
If it supports DivX/XviD/AVC/x264 I dont care, although I do have CoreAVC and prefer to use that.

there are other codecs as well

Sazar 03-27-09 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 (Post 1969446)

True, but if the majority of codecs are supported natively, it doesn't affect most people.

The primary issues, as you pointed, pertains to other NEWER codecs that may be released which are better/more useful/faster than the bog standard that 7 will support.

I don't think innovation should be hurt in any way.

By locking things down and supporting a few formats, rippers will likely start moving to those standardized codecs instead of more obscure ones and this will affect the newer ones :(

Toss3 03-27-09 03:18 PM

Don't get why they would do this at all, but if they don't change it back to the way it was 'til the retail version I'll stick with vista tvm.

stevemedes 03-27-09 10:16 PM

Well this is disappointing news, I like to change my codecs around because some have better performance than others.

Misfire 03-27-09 11:13 PM

well at least thsi is only limited to windows media player, media player classic still worK?

t3hl33td4rg0n 03-31-09 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 (Post 1969446)

Well, besides Ogg/Theora, 3ivx (no-one uses it), mpx, MPEGx, FLAC, and that other lossless (cant remember the name), there really isn't much else worth mentioning.

But, hopefully in 7068 and future releases 3rd party codecs are supported.

nekrosoft13 04-08-09 11:50 AM

ok, some good news

Windows 7 Media Player and Windows Media Center will block the usage of third party video codecs. That news spread like wildfire on the Internet after the discovery that the latest semi-public builds of Windows 7 were indeed restricting codec usage in those two programs.

Rafael got an official response from Microsoft regarding that rumor which basically states that Microsoft will not limit third party codec use in Windows 7.

As we move toward the release of Windows 7, we have worked to add more codecs and file types to allow for a better user experience. We also allow Microsoft experiences to use codecs and other format technologies from third-party companies, just as we always have. Third party applications can use the Microsoft codecs or their own. Microsoft does not restrict the use of third-party codecs.

Blocking third party codec usage in the pre-release candidate builds of Windows 7 might be a way to test the newly added codecs in the operating system.

Still it is good to know that the blocking will not be carried over into the final release of Windows 7.

http://windows7news.com/2009/04/05/n...ndows-7-final/

wolfgar 04-09-09 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 (Post 1978602)
ok, some good news

...an official response from Microsoft regarding that rumor which basically states that Microsoft will not limit third party codec use in Windows 7.

http://windows7news.com/2009/04/05/n...ndows-7-final/

I'm kinda mixed.
There are way too many codecs out there. I'm at the point that I refuse to allow the auto install of new codecs as I simply do not trust the sources. God knows what other crapware they're installing. (or worse)

Its time to end this codec insanity. MS and/or Google should buy and make publicity available a series of good codecs, and work with the software vendors to obtain broad support.

Standards can be a good thing..