nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   New Forms of SLIAA draw near. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=130929)

ChrisRay 03-31-09 09:34 PM

New Forms of SLIAA draw near.

*Note* This is a Carbon Copy of my SLIZONE post. But I am really excited about what I have seen in this area of driver development.

Since the introduction of Windows Vista I have been petitioning and on Nvidia's case about SLIAA. The old 185x.xx driver simply offered a preview that Nvidia was doing with SLIAA. In the very near future. We're going to see an official driver with SLIAA support that has improved beyond what we already saw with the 185.xx driver. Alot of the modes have changed "Completely" and look alot better than they did in the leaked driver. Improvements have been made to SLI 32x. SLI 64x, SLI 64xQ and SLI 64x. As well as the Dual GPU modes, SLI 32xQ and SLI 32x.

http://chrisray.soterial.com/chrisra...atestsliaa.jpg

gstanford 03-31-09 10:03 PM

Re: New Forms of SLIAA draw near.

About damn time Vista SLI users were able to use SLIAA too!

MUYA 03-31-09 10:06 PM

64XQ would be approaching the levels of AA that is used in render farms for animated movies right?

Wow, but again, begs the question, would it be playable even with 2 x 295 GTX's tho!

8XQ kills my 295 GTX in Age of Conan / DX10 mode :p

JasonPC 03-31-09 10:06 PM

Hmm I thought this has been around for a while even on Vista? Oh and you lose the SLI rendering abilities when you enable this AA so not only do you get a decrease in frames due to AA, but also because of this setting.

|MaguS| 03-31-09 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUYA (Post 1972584)
64XQ would be approaching the levels of AA that is used in render farms for animated movies right?

Wow, but again, begs the question, would it be playable even with 2 x 295 GTX's tho!

Quake 2 with 64xQAA!

MUYA 03-31-09 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |MaguS| (Post 1972590)
Quake 2 with 64xQAA!

:D

ChrisRay 03-31-09 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JasonPC (Post 1972586)
Hmm I thought this has been around for a while even on Vista? Oh and you lose the SLI rendering abilities when you enable this AA so not only do you get a decrease in frames do to AA, but also because of this setting.

SLIAA has been around for a while. However the flexibility and quality of the upcoming modes has not bee. Theres an early really crappy leaked driver that has an early look at some of them. However they have mostly all changed to something of higher quality.

ChrisRay 03-31-09 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MUYA (Post 1972584)

Depends the game. I know SLI 64x works with age of conan and produces performance similar to 16xAA of a single GTX 260. To be honest. SLIAA is extremely important feature to me. And hence why I have been on Nvidia's case about it. Actually its kinda a joke around Nvidia because how much there internal QA teams make fun of me for it.

But in reality. SLIAA is usable in more games than its not. It doesnt provide the quality of pure supersampling. So it may not always be preferable to say 32xS. But its also a hell of alot more usable in most games and has better HDR compatibility.

gstanford 03-31-09 10:48 PM

SLIAA is one of the main reasons to even bother with a SLI setup in the first place IMO. Most of the time I'm pretty happy with the performance a single highend card can provide.

Now, if only nvidia would forget about this GTX275 response to ATi and release some 2 or 4 gb GTX285's with full speed memory, I'd be very happy.

MUYA 03-31-09 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisRay (Post 1972610)
Depends the game. I know SLI 64x works with age of conan and produces performance similar to 16xAA of a single GTX 260. To be honest. SLIAA is extremely important feature to me. And hence why I have been on Nvidia's case about it. Actually its kinda a joke around Nvidia because how much there internal QA teams make fun of me for it.

But in reality. SLIAA is usable in more games than its not. It doesnt provide the qiuality of pure supersampling. So it may not always be preferable to say 32xS. But its also a hell of alot more usable in most games and has better HDR compatibility.

When these drivers become available, I will give them a spin!

However, on an unrelated note, is there any indication that NVIDIA will work with Funcom for Age Of Conan and DX10? Coz DX10 mode for this game is more demanding than Crysis Warhead!!

CaptNKILL 03-31-09 11:10 PM

Man, what kind of monitors are people using that they can actually see the difference in anything more than 8xAA? :p

Are you guys on 52" 720P screens? :lol:

gstanford 03-31-09 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptNKILL (Post 1972630)
Man, what kind of monitors are people using that they can actually see the difference in anything more than 8xAA? :p

Are you guys on 52" 720P screens? :lol:

See my signature. I use a Samsung 30" 305T. You don't need that big a monitor to see the difference though, the differences were quite visible with SLI'd 7900's on a 19" Philips 109P20 CRT I used to own.