nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   I want to ask you... (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=131010)

poolet2000 04-02-09 12:30 PM

I want to ask you...

Hello, i want to install Linux (ubuntu) on my computer, but i want to know
if there is a way to setup drivers for the nforce chipset....

Also i find on nvidia support drivers, for graphic cards and i want to know if this
support 2 - way sli...... or not...

I use asus extream II nforce 790 ultra sli
and i use 2 * xfx geforce 9800gtx++ (2 - way sli)

and dose the wine or others third party utility accept this drives??? ...... i don't find anything on web, and I'm despaired with windows......!!!

Thank you very much

darksky 04-02-09 01:59 PM

Re: I want to ask you...

...you planning to uses the dual video cards under LINUX? There aren't that many games for LINUX... I keep an XP partition for gaming on my machine.

poolet2000 04-03-09 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darksky (Post 1974100)
...you planning to uses the dual video cards under LINUX? There aren't that many games for LINUX... I keep an XP partition for gaming on my machine.

yes i know my friend, i want to play only 2-3 game ....... my interesting of course is the
drivers for nforce chipset.......

can i install this drivers with wine ????

NvFuchs 04-03-09 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poolet2000 (Post 1974610)
can i install this drivers with wine ????

No.

Regarding SLI: might / should work, and there are drivers for nforce included with the Linux Kernel.

Fuchs

poolet2000 04-03-09 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NvFuchs (Post 1974616)
No.

Regarding SLI: might / should work, and there are drivers for nforce included with the Linux Kernel.

Fuchs

so with wine it can work???.... if the version of linux didn't loading for some reasons.....
i try and load a live cd of linux ( i think it's suse pro) and i didn't have sound, and i haven't had the drives of ethernet... also the most strangest is that, did not have read the usb ports....

this comes , because the operation systrem is from live cd??

thank you for your help......

NvFuchs 04-03-09 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poolet2000 (Post 1974724)
so with wine it can work???....

No. You can't install or use any drivers with wine.

Quote:

if the version of linux didn't loading for some reasons.....
i try and load a live cd of linux ( i think it's suse pro) and i didn't have sound, and i haven't had the drives of ethernet... also the most strangest is that, did not have read the usb ports....

this comes , because the operation systrem is from live cd??
Might be. Probably the wrong drivers where loaded, or no drivers where loaded at all. But without further information (lspci, lsmod and dmesg) I can't tell you for sure.

You might want to try a different Live CD, more recent or older one. Ubuntu as an example, or kanotix, which has a good hardware detection.

Quote:

thank you for your help......
Sorry I can't help you more, but with "it didn't work" as all information I got it is really hard to tell what might have gone wrong.

Fuchs

methimpikehoses 04-03-09 11:39 AM

Fuchs

poolet2000 04-03-09 03:29 PM

NvFuchs

thank you for your help, I believe a simple test it will convince me.....
i will try to install the unbunt 8.10 if they are presented problems then I will lead to poor windows (for me ), and I will hope for better days ( if they exist)...... :P:P

i forgot to say about lspci, lsmod and dmesg, i try this
"dmesg | grep -i usb " for the usb ports but i didn't have respond,( dmesg is not availble ) so for this might be resposible the live cd,