nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Noctua NH-U12P (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=131110)

|MaguS| 04-04-09 03:21 PM

Noctua NH-U12P

Should I get one? Anandtechs review puts it better then the extreme 120...

bob saget 04-04-09 04:15 PM

Re: Noctua NH-U12P

for the i7, do you need that backplate thingie?

autobot 04-04-09 04:20 PM

Well right now in the price/performance catagory, the XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V is the leader. Its about 1 or 2 degrees celcius behind the Noctua, but you save yourself $20.

|MaguS| 04-04-09 04:35 PM

Who the heck is XIGMATEK?

bob saget, yeah it comes with a backplate. Not an issue since I am moving my PC to a new case as soon as the Lian Li I bought comes in.

bob saget 04-04-09 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |MaguS| (Post 1975711)

bob saget, yeah it comes with a backplate. Not an issue since I am moving my PC to a new case as soon as the Lian Li I bought comes in.

can you explain? I thought all big coolers need a backplate on the X58 motherboards.

|MaguS| 04-04-09 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob saget (Post 1975720)
can you explain? I thought all big coolers need a backplate on the X58 motherboards.

Oh I thought you were refering to the fact that I would have to take out my motherboard to install it...Yeah comes with a backplate that I gotta use or it would probably snap my motherboard in two...

Gaco 04-04-09 06:43 PM

The big advantage of the Noctua NH-U12P is that it cools a large area of the motherboard around the CPU socket, more than any other CPU cooler on the market that I know of (I've read quite of a lot of articles about CPU fans the past week).

The 120 Xtreme / TRUE is the second best choice IMO (and a close second place that is), but being able to cool off the area around the cpu socket so effectively while maintaining such impressive performance on the CPU itself AND being one of the most silent, makes NH-U12P my top choice. It's not cheap, but it comes with a fan, as opposed to the 120 Xtreme, remember to factor that into the price comparison. I'm getting a socket 775 version of the Noctua SH12-U12P myself within the next two weeks :)

crainger 04-04-09 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by |MaguS| (Post 1975711)

XIGMATEK make some really good coolers that sit just under the Thermalrights but are cheaper and include a fan. I'm not sure if they are a new player, but they make some good ones. They also do PSUs, but i don't think they are upto snuff yet.

If you want TRUE perfoamce at not much money, get the XIGMATEK.

|MaguS| 04-04-09 06:52 PM

Price isn't really that different when you factor in a really good fan to lower the noise... the noctua already comes with two great fans that run $20 a peice...

crainger 04-04-09 07:00 PM

XIGMATEK has a good fan too. Still I'd take a TRUE. They seem to work best with a quiet fan, if low noise is important. I use a Sycthe with mine.

|MaguS| 04-04-09 07:56 PM

Im not impressed with the stats on the XIGMATEK stuff. I know Noctua makes quality products... think im gonna just get it. After I get my case... gotta make sure it fits.

Gaco 04-04-09 08:00 PM

Well actually I remember some reviews stating that the ultimate setup for him would be TRUE cooler with Noctua NH-U12P fans attached :D
I know that there is an actual userbase for this particular setup as well.

Before I finally buy I might read up a bit more on TRUE vs. NH-U12P, but I believe that they're both very excellent choices.

BTW, here is an older nvnews thread about the same thing if you hadn't seen it :)
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=127555