nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Sony DADC (SecuROM) Joins PC Gaming Alliance (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=131467)

NarcissistZero 04-13-09 03:40 PM

Sony DADC (SecuROM) Joins PC Gaming Alliance

Check it: http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/04/...ming-alliance/

Not exactly thrilling news.

Buio 04-13-09 06:38 PM

Re: Sony DADC (SecuROM) Joins PC Gaming Alliance

They should take after Stardock and Impulse. No intrusive protections that mess up your PC, just a serial if you want to get updates and play online.

Sony with their SecuROM sucks, they are as bad as StarForce or worse. Maybe it's their plan to sell more PS3 games. :P

nekrosoft13 04-13-09 06:47 PM

pirates are funny bunch, first spread fud about protection that was most effective (starforce) until it pretty much it died out only active in eastern europe.

Now that starfoce is done with, pirates turn their attention to securom, next devil to slain.

Funny thing is that SPTD (part of Daemon tools) is probably the reason that kills optical drives, learned that myself when i noticed that SPTD was messing with my Blu-ray drive and few more months and it would slowly kill it.

People on DuplexSecure (developer of SPTD) and Daemon Tools forums some of them did realize that SPTD slows down optical drives and slowly kills them.

NaitoSan 04-13-09 09:37 PM

Interesting. But then why aren't Valve, EA and few others' not part of PC Gaming Alliance? PC Gaming Alliance means nothing really. Unless I'm mistaken.

evox 04-13-09 10:55 PM

Don't think Valve feels the need to branch out. I mean, they are quite successful right now and seeing as PCGA is kind of a joke, it would be waste of their time/money. EA is too console happy to join PCGA, though most of their recent ports have been pretty good.

Buio 04-14-09 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 (Post 1982350)
pirates are funny bunch, first spread fud about protection that was most effective (starforce) until it pretty much it died out only active in eastern europe

Good to know it worked then, because starforce and securom sucks. I hope securom goes the same way now.

And yeah, I buy the games I play.

You are right about daemon tools and the STD driver. Would never install it on my PC, it's a hack. There are better tools for image mounting (for legal purposes that is).

Rakeesh 04-14-09 01:22 AM

Quote:

pirates are funny bunch, first spread fud about protection that was most effective (starforce) until it pretty much it died out only active in eastern europe.

Ultimately these forms of copy protection aren't going to work though. I don't think any have truly worked, to the best of my knowledge there haven't been any games that haven't seen a "zero day" release on usenet groups (though I haven't kept up with this in about 6 years, I don't imagine much has changed, as various groups have been promising foolproof copy protection systems since the early 80's and all of them have been quickly broken.)

The best you can do is prevent the game from being leaked on the internet prior to its actual street date, and preventing certain "services" from being available to the pirated copies (e.g. multiplayer.)

These copy protection systems end up being an extra unnecessary cost to the publisher and potentially an inconvenience to the end user.

My only beef with these is that they install programs and drivers that ALWAYS remain memory resident even when the game isn't running. Anybody who is like me doesn't like this kind of thing, because these types of programs tend to add up, and eventually that leads to you having a slower computer.

NarcissistZero 04-14-09 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK (Post 1982540)
to the best of my knowledge there haven't been any games that haven't seen a "zero day" release on usenet groups (though I haven't kept up with this in about 6 years, I don't imagine much has changed, as various groups have been promising foolproof copy protection systems since the early 80's and all of them have been quickly broken.)

I'm pretty sure many of the recent online activation games haven't been cracked until after release. I have been shown huge forum threads on pirate boards for games like Mass Effect where pirates complain back and forth over not finding a working copy of the game on torrents.

There is a massive difference between finding the files online, which most people post as proof no DRM works, and finding working files that play the whole game.

Rakeesh 04-14-09 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NarcissistZero (Post 1982542)
I'm pretty sure many of the recent online activation games haven't been cracked until after release.

It's usually day of, so technically zero day (or if you really want to get technical, day one.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by NarcissistZero (Post 1982542)
I have been shown huge forum threads on pirate boards for games like Mass Effect where pirates complain back and forth over not finding a working copy of the game on torrents.

I haven't been involved in the scene for quite some time, but last I recall most release groups were very anti peer to peer. They tend to like to get credit for their releases from their "peers" so to speak, but peer to peer networks take away that personal side of piracy that they take pride in, so they don't like it.

nekrosoft13 04-14-09 02:06 AM

Chaos Theory took about a year to crack, so yeah i would call starforce effective

Tages can be quite effective as well

nekrosoft13 04-14-09 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buio (Post 1982533)

You are right about daemon tools and the STD driver. Would never install it on my PC, it's a hack. There are better tools for image mounting (for legal purposes that is).

SPTD issues are harder to spot with DVD drive, but with BD drive it is very obvious, it turned my 6xBD drive to 3.3xBD drive.

cause quite a packing for me, even reinstalled windows at that point (made a backup before). And then while on fresh install i started getting windows back to the way i normally use it and constantly testing it at every change i would make.

And then I found it, right after installing SPTD, optical drives started getting screwed up.

Restored back-up, uninstalled Daemon Tools and SPTD and everything was back normal.

K007 04-14-09 04:07 AM

Quote:

Now that starfoce is done with, pirates turn their attention to securom, next devil to slain.

Funny thing is that SPTD (part of Daemon tools) is probably the reason that kills optical drives, learned that myself when i noticed that SPTD was messing with my Blu-ray drive and few more months and it would slowly kill it.

People on DuplexSecure (developer of SPTD) and Daemon Tools forums some of them did realize that SPTD slows down optical drives and slowly kills them.

Copy protection still fails tho. it doesn't stop pirating, and it doesn't slow it down either. They need to come up with something that truly stops it, i mean full dead stop. Atm all these protections don't do anything to prevent pirating.