nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Demigod's response to Gamestop releasing the game early (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=131497)

Tygerwoody 04-14-09 07:43 AM

Demigod's response to Gamestop releasing the game early

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frogboy of Demigod
Demigod is early

As some people know, Gamestop violated the street date of Demigod and released it last week. There have been plenty of discussions about whether Gamestop did this intentionally or not which I won’t go into here.

Obviously there have been some significant consequences as a result:

First, it was Easter weekend. And many of us had just finished a good solid 8 weeks of massive crunch and were looking forward to the weekend to recover. Instead, we found ourselves back at work having to turn on and configure the multiplayer matchmaking servers (we had enough for a beta but not for thousands of people).

Second, since Demigod has zero copy protection on it, it meant that that piracy on this title will, in theory, be maximized. Stardock’s position on piracy is pretty straight forward but to repeat it here: It’s not that we don’t think piracy is massive. We just aren’t convinced that it results in that many lost sales. Or more to the point, we don’t think intrusive, obnoxious copy protection will result in more sales than we lose from people who don’t want to mess with it.

Imagine if Demigod had shipped with some nasty retail copy protection and got released early. Someone “cracks” it but doesn’t do a good job and the game ends up crashing randomly or something. Most people would just assume the game was buggy and that would likely cause more lost sales than the initial piracy did.

The good news, however, is that we’ll get to actually see the effects of piracy. Since we know Demigod is an outstanding game with a wide appeal with equal retail and digital distribution to other titles that came out this year with similar demographics we can see how well it sells compared to them.

Third, while the game won’t be on the shelves at other retailers until tomorrow morning, we have elected to make the digitally distributed version available today with beta testers and pre-order customers getting it immediately (as in right now). Those who have legally purchased the game can get the 0-day update that has all the game play changes that the beta group asked for, multiplayer match-making, and LAN support.

I want to thank the Stardockians who came in on their day off (we are supposed to have the Monday after Easter off) to make sure people who pre-ordered got the game today as well as the beta testers.

See you guys online!

Class act. :thumbsup:

Ninjaman09 04-14-09 08:36 AM

Re: Demigod's response to Gamestop releasing the game early

Typical Stardock...what a great company. Also, this game looks sweet - might grab it on Impulse later today...but I just bought DoW2...ugh..

TheANIMAL 04-14-09 09:59 AM

That was pretty cool of them...

Quick420 04-14-09 10:09 AM

He thinks about piracy in the same way I do.Too bad gamestop screwed up and these guys didnt get to have dinner with their families on Easter:cool:

Q 04-14-09 10:22 AM

Good way to get people to buy games.

Bman212121 04-14-09 11:01 AM

You mean I don't have to activate the game and worry about using up my keys?? Imagine that. :p

I'm definitely interested to hear how the game plays. Not sure if it's a type of game I might like or not but it sounds like it could be fun.

NarcissistZero 04-14-09 11:03 AM

I saw it at Gamestop yesterday... didn't realize that was early. I didn't get it, because movies on this title make it look very lame in my opinion.

I like how he says he KNOWS it's a great game, so if they have poor sales it will say something about piracy. I buy almost everything for God's sake but the vids of this game turned me off. His game being good is a subjective thing, and I would wait for reviews and fan reaction before we start calling it a great game.

Badboy_12345 04-14-09 11:30 AM

Its like the Warcraft 3 mod DOTA.
But much bigger :p

I will buy it when my next paycheck comes in. Dont even need to hear any reviews.

Stardock is a game company that I want to support until the day I die
They actually care about their customers... and dont screw em over like 99% of all the others

From their games to impulse, they do what they can for the customers and listen to their feedback.

bacon12 04-14-09 12:15 PM

If they made anything I wanted to play I would be so happy to support this dev. Great company, and cudos to them.

methimpikehoses 04-14-09 12:19 PM

Agree, Stardock FTW

nekrosoft13 04-14-09 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Q (Post 1982780)
Good way to get people to buy games.

yap, be good with community

nekrosoft13 04-14-09 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by methimpikehoses (Post 1982893)
Agree, Stardock FTW

what about Gas Powered Games, they are the developer