nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Which notebooks do NOT have a powermizer or black terminal problem (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=131916)

nldudok1 04-23-09 05:30 PM

Which notebooks do NOT have a powermizer or black terminal problem

There are a lot of reports of people with powermizer problems with notebooks with mobile nvidia chips in the 9xxxm series. (9600m GS, 9600m GT, 9800m GTX, and so on)

But there are also some reports of notebooks with nvidia cards in the 9xxxxm range which actually do work OK.

So if powermizer on your card works OK, please reply and attach a nvidia-bugreport.

How do I know if powermizer works OK.
start nvidia-settings and go to the GPU-0/Powermizer tab
It should show you which performance levels you card supports.
There an be 1, 2, 3 or 4 performance levels.

When you are not doing any 3D work, the lowest performance levels (level 0) should be active.
If it stays at a higher performance level you have a "stays high powermizer problem"

Now start a 3D application (glxgears will do).
The highest performance should become active.

If it stays at one of the lower performance levels, you have a "stays low powermizer problem"

The powermizer problem seems to coincide for a lot of people with the black or blank terminal problem.
If you switch to a console by pressing CTRL-ALT-F1 you should get a working text console.
If the screen stays black, even after pressing a few keys then you have a "black terminal problem"
There seems to be two variants of this:
variant 1 Screen is totally black (backlight is off)
variant 2 Screen is very dark gray (backlight is on, but no text is displayed)

If you have none of the above problems, consider yourself lucky.

But please take the time to reply to this thread with the brand and exact modelname of your laptop and a nvidia-bugreport.

Example below:

Notebook Brand: Acer
Notebook modelname: Aspire 6930G-734G32Bn
nvidia card: 9600m GS with 512 MB DDR2 memory

Has powermizer problem: No/stays low/stays high/other
Has black terminal problem: No/variant1/variant2/other

I would like bugreports from people who do NOT have at least one of the two problems, but do have a nvidia card in the 9xxxxm series in their notebook.

If you do have both problems please reply instead to the
"180.11 powermizer still broken" thread at
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=124153

You could add more information like below but this should already be inside nvidia-bugreport:
nvidia driver version: 180.53
linux variant: Ubuntu Gutsy 7.10
kernel: 2.6.29.1 x86_64
nvidia VideoBIOS: 62.94.3c.00.17

Thanks in advance

mooninite 04-23-09 07:38 PM

Re: Which notebooks do NOT have a powermizer or black terminal problem

1 Attachment(s)
ASUS N80Vn-X5
nVidia 9650M GT
video BIOS: 62.94.3C.00.26
driver: 185.19
Kernel: 2.6.29.1-42.fc10.x86_64

No issues what-so-ever. HDMI out works (haven't tested audio though, only optical out).

cthulhu 04-24-09 02:26 AM

No issues with Asus U6V

1 Attachment(s)
Notebook Brand: Asus
Notebook modelname: U6V
nvidia card: 9300G GS with 512 MB DDR2 memory

Has powermizer problem: No
Has black terminal problem: No

Also has working HDMI out, but so far only with stereo sound after hacking the ALSA driver to recognize NVIDIA HDMI audio part of the 9300M GS. However, since I don't have a surround receiver with HDMI, I haven't been able to run completely reliable tests.

NvFuchs 04-24-09 08:04 AM

IBM / Lenovo
Thinkpad R61 7743-Y1B

Powermizer Problem: No
Black Terminal: No

Additionally S3 and S4 are working.

There where some problems (backlight, 30s hang) which all have been solved up to now.

Quite happy with it.

DrSuSE 04-24-09 09:32 AM

Gateway 7805u-FX w/ 9800M GTS

I recently deleted my xorg.conf and let sax2 create a new dual head config file and that solved the missing/blank vterm issue for me. I never had the powermizer issue.

One question to people, though... is there any way to make the vterm display on your external monitor instead of the laptop LCD? The laptop is closed 99% of the time as it is on my desk connected to an external LCD.

nkalkhof 04-24-09 09:41 AM

My old Acer did this automatically by just plugging in the DVI cable before powering up the NB. give it a try! You might also wanna look into your BIOS settings. maybe you can preselect the default video output there.

regards

NvFuchs 04-24-09 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrSuSE (Post 1990537)
Gateway 7805u-FX w/ 9800M GTS
One question to people, though... is there any way to make the vterm display on your external monitor instead of the laptop LCD? The laptop is closed 99% of the time as it is on my desk connected to an external LCD.

"When switching away from X to a virtual terminal, the VGA console will always be restored to the display device on which it was present when X was started. Similarly, when switching back into X, the same display device configuration will be used as when you switched away, regardless of what display change hotkey activity occurred while the virtual terminal was active."

Read: http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...hapter-18.html

Some notebooks have BIOS settings for those things as well, but I don't know whether they still work when the nvidia driver is loaded. As I have no external display at hand I can't test, sorry.

Fuchs

DrSuSE 04-24-09 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NvFuchs (Post 1990568)
As stated in the readme, the VT will always be displayed on the primary display X started on.

Some notebooks have BIOS settings for those things as well, but I don't know whether they still work when the nvidia driver is loaded. As I have no external display at hand I can't test, sorry.

Fuchs

Yeah, in my experience the readme vs what is actually possible are often quite different, heh. Sadly, while this laptop is great in nearly every way, it has virtually no BIOS configuration. :-P

I thought there might be some secret magic trick to tell it where to display VTs.

NvFuchs 04-24-09 10:29 AM

Updated my post to quote the readme, as it is not 100% correct in my post. But it still isn't what you wanted.

Fuchs (sorry for further off topic)

DrSuSE 04-24-09 10:32 AM

No worries, I appreciate the response/input. It's not a huge issue to open up the laptop when I switch away from X. I tried rebooting and using the laptops function keys to get to the external display before X started, but I guess that doesn't work (the key combo did nothing until after X was up).

biasquez 04-24-09 10:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Notebook Brand: Acer
Notebook modelname: Aspire 6930G-944G32MN
nvidia card: 9600m GT with 512 MB DDR3 memory

Has powermizer problem: stays low (performance level 1)
Has black terminal problem: variant1

nkalkhof 04-24-09 11:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Acer Aspire 9920
GeForce 8600M GT, 512 MB DDR2 RAM
Video BIOS: 60.84.58.00.20

Powermizer: Works perfectly!
VT Switching: Works perfectly!