nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   9600M GT won't throttle up under load (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=131931)

nkalkhof 04-24-09 01:40 AM

9600M GT won't throttle up under load

1 Attachment(s)
hello folks,

first of all, this topic is already discussed on this board but I'd like to open an new thread in a desperate hope that the nvidia support looks into it and gives us at least some information.

so far my laptop GPU won't throttle up the clock under load - 3D OpenGL or 1080i VDPAU. Powermizer shows only Level 1 ist used (275 MHz GPU and 300 MHz memory). Performance Mode is shown "Maximum Performance" under Load. Higher levels are NEVER reached - no matter what I do! I've experienced this issue with every driver starting from 177.xx up to latest beta 185.xx. This problem makes 1080i h264 playback impossible and 3D Games are running horribly show as well.

further more my screen turns black after dropping back from X (ctrl+alt+f1) but the system is still responsive. after blindly typing "startx", the X server comes back up again. this problem might be related to the stuck performance levels as far as I've seen in all the other posts.

Bug report is attached.

@NVIDIA Devs: PLEASE, PLEASE give us some information about this issue - even if you have no clue what may cause the problem then please tell us! I'll be glad to offer any assistance I can give (dumping video BIOS, etc.) and I'm sure others will also. Don't leave us in the dark - PLEASE.

regards

_BELiAL_ 04-24-09 03:16 AM

Re: 9600M GT won't throttle up under load

1 Attachment(s)
I got the very same problem(s). Bug report attached.

Anyway looks like nkalkhof and i have the same BIOS vendor...
Code:

Vendor: Phoenix Technologies LTD

maccam94 04-24-09 04:28 AM

This is a widespread issue, and it has been unresolved for months now.

mfb 04-24-09 04:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Same problem, also with a 9600M GT.

Hoping this new topic will get the attention of NVIDIA, bug report attached.

sittingpenguin 04-24-09 04:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
maccam94, the point of this thread is to collect as many bug reports as possible from affected machines.

_BELiAL_, I owned a Toshiba Satellite M60 and a Sony Vaio both with a Phoenix BIOS and both had castrated GPU functionality under Linux (and under Windows as well if without specific drivers), but I'm not tech savy enough to tell wether that is a coincidence or not. The Toshiba had an ATI chip.

Anyway bug report attached.

GIDZzz 04-24-09 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nkalkhof (Post 1990431)
further more my screen turns black after dropping back from X (ctrl+alt+f1) but the system is still responsive. after blindly typing "startx", the X server comes back up again. this problem might be related to the stuck performance levels as far as I've seen in all the other posts.
regards

If you haven't tried uvesafb yet, it might be worth a shot. I had a similar problem with my card and it did the trick. Moreover, it supports more resolutions, e.g. 1920x1200.

Unfortunately, downclocking is not as easy to overcome. Bug report for 8800M GTX.

crnv 04-25-09 05:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a Quadro FX 770M (same chip as 9600GT) which has the same issues: PowerMizer only switches between level 0 and 1 (highest level is 3) and text consoles are blank (but responsive).

Nvidia knows these problems from other threads but our posts might help anyway.

nkalkhof 04-25-09 12:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
good news, folks - sort of. after intentive search I found a link that explains how to force the 9xxxM GPU to thottle up to FULL SPEED!!!!!!! :captnkill:

the downside is you have to alter and flash your video bios resulting in loosing your warranty. another downside, you have to sacrifice the throttle level. your GPU then only knows 2 performance levels: Level 0 (2D, the lowest as before) and Level 1 (previously throttle, now the highest Level). Levels 2 and above are the same as Level 1 then but since powermizer never switches to those levels - who cares.

However this doesn't solve the black VT switch issue but at least I can use the full potential of my 9xxx GPU under Linux! Damn that thing is really fast! When using desktop apps or on battery the GPU still switches to Level 0, saving battery. :)

Once again, you'll loose your warranty and if you are not careful you might smash your system!!!

Attached image shows Powermizer after the modification on my system.

Go here if you're willing to risk it. Scroll down to last quarter of the post.
http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/...howtopic=21517

At the end....if NVIDIA doesn't help us we have to help ourselfs (lee)

zander 04-25-09 02:50 PM

I advise against modifying your notebooks' performance levels unless you're aware of all the implications, such as interaction of your changes with other VBIOS settings and the NVIDIA graphics driver. You'll also need to be sure the effective settings will fit your notebook's power and thermal budgets, etc..

For what it's worth, we were able to investigate the performance level switching problem on Linux recently and determined that current NVIDIA Linux graphics driver releases are unable to obtain certain system specific data that complement the VBIOS on recent MXM based notebooks with NVIDIA GPUs. Without these data, the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver limits itself to safe performance levels. We hope to address this problem in a future 185.xx driver release.

nkalkhof 04-25-09 03:17 PM

zander,

a thousand tanks for replying and giving us the feedback we've been waiting for!

I agree to your concerns about the VBIOS hack strategy. Now that we know nvidia has addressed the issue, certainly most of us can wait a little longer. :)

again thanks for the reply!

best regards

sittingpenguin 04-27-09 03:11 AM

Thanks a bunch! I hope to get back my beloved terminals as a side effect.

qris 04-27-09 03:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I reported the same bugs to linuxbugs@nvidia:

1. I cannot switch back to virtual terminals [1] once X is started.
Screen stays black. I can switch back to X.
I tryed some module options as found on your forums, but none help.

2. GPU won't throttle up the clock under load.
"Performance level" switches between "0" and "1" (NV clock 275MHz),
never "2" or "3" (NV clock 500MHz).

Those bugs they occur:
- with standard debian lenny kernel (2.6.26) and debian packaged nvidia drivers
- with standard debian lenny kernel and recents official nvidia drivers
- with 2.6.29-rt debian unstable kernel and official nvidia drivers
- with 2.6.29-rt debian unstable kernel and debian unstable packaged nvidia source, build with 'module-assistant'.

I hope the attached log report helps.

Regards,
qris

[1] using key combinaison "CTRL+ALT+[1-7]"