nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   GLX does not initialize anymore on dual X-server setup (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=131974)

crakie 04-25-09 08:34 AM

GLX does not initialize anymore on dual X-server setup

1 Attachment(s)
In Ubuntu Intrepid (with NVIDIA kernel module 177.xx) I ran a dual X-server setup (i.e. NOT a dual screen on the same server) so I could simultaneously use my Hauppauge tv-cards tv-out (with IVTV framebuffer) AND run a composited screen on my monitor. This worked perfectly.

Today, I upgraded to Ubuntu Jaunty, which by default uses kernel module 180.44 and found my screen is not composited anymore. From Xorg.0.log:

Code:

(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found)
It has something to do with another X server running, because if I generate a single head xorg.conf using nvidia-xconfig, there are no problems.

Is the Nvidia driver now inherently incompatible with running two X servers, one of which not running on a Nvidia card?

nkalkhof 04-25-09 08:52 AM

Re: GLX does not initialize anymore on dual X-server setup

Quote:

Originally Posted by crakie (Post 1991205)
In Ubuntu Intrepid (with NVIDIA kernel module 177.xx) I ran a dual X-server setup (i.e. NOT a dual screen on the same server) so I could simultaneously use my Hauppauge tv-cards tv-out (with IVTV framebuffer) AND run a composited screen on my monitor. This worked perfectly.

Today, I upgraded to Ubuntu Jaunty, which by default uses kernel module 180.44 and found my screen is not composited anymore. From Xorg.0.log:

Code:

(EE) Failed to initialize GLX extension (Compatible NVIDIA X driver not found)
It has something to do with another X server running, because if I generate a single head xorg.conf using nvidia-xconfig, there are no problems.

Is the Nvidia driver now inherently incompatible with running two X servers, one of which not running on a Nvidia card?

it looks like X cannot find the libglx.so. this ".so" is located under /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions but I don't know how ubuntu stores it's .so's.

regards

crakie 04-25-09 10:39 AM

I don't think that's it:

Code:

(II) LoadModule: "glx"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libglx.so
(II) Module glx: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
        compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
        Module class: X.Org Server Extension
(II) NVIDIA GLX Module  180.44  Mon Mar 23 15:29:02 PST 2009
(II) Loading extension GLX

AaronP 04-25-09 05:00 PM

That message means that NVIDIA's libglx.so was loaded, but couldn't initialize because it couldn't find the nvidia X driver (nvidia_drv.so), which makes sense since that X server was using the IVTV driver instead. nvidia-bug-report.sh only gets Xorg.0.log, so you'll need to manually attach Xorg.1.log to see what went wrong with your NVIDIA server.

crakie 04-26-09 04:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ah, silly me. Of course Xorg.1.log is the proper one. It's attached and looks clean. I am thinking now this is not a NVIDIA-issue. I thought the error in Xorg.0.log was the cause, but it seems compiz-fusion is the troublemaker. Still it's odd I get this when starting compiz:

Code:

compiz --replace
Checking for Xgl: not present.
xset q doesn't reveal the location of the log file. Using fallback /var/log/Xorg.0.log
No whitelisted driver found
aborting and using fallback: /usr/bin/metacity

The "nvidia" driver IS whitelisted. But Xgl should be present if it is loaded, right?

EDIT: Still puzzled about the missing whitelisted driver, but disabling compositing in metacity made Compiz work. Apologies, it was not an NVIDIA issue.

AaronP 04-26-09 06:32 PM

It sounds like some sort of Compiz wrapper is trying to scan the log file but can't figure out which one is right for some reason, and then falls back to Xorg.0.log (i.e. the wrong one), fails to find the NVIDIA driver, and then gives up. If your copy of the compiz wrapper script is like mine, you can change the default log file by editing /usr/bin/compiz and changing XORG_DEFAULT_LOG.