nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   ubuntu Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module! (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=131996)

anomie 04-25-09 07:30 PM

ubuntu Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

Have never been able to get my GeForce 7900 GS to work under 4 versions of Ubuntu now. Have just upgraded to 9.04 and same problem.

I do these 2 steps:

1. Nvidia drivers are available in System > Administration > Hardware Drivers. now at version 180

2. System > Administration > NVidia X Server Settings application tells me to "(just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server."

And reboot, and then get the error message:

Quote:

Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!

Am able to log in with low resolution temporarily to fix problem.

Hardware Drivers application now shows that "This driver is activated but not currently in use. "

If I disable/ remove the driver, and then copy my old basic xorg.conf into place, will be able to get higher resolutions. But do not get Nvidia driver joy.

Ran nvidia-bug-report.sh and it is attached. Logs (attached in report and below) seem to indicate that the module loads and then unloads??

Quote:

(II) Loading extension DRI2

(II) LoadModule: "nvidia"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//nvidia_drv.so
(II) Module nvidia: vendor="NVIDIA Corporation"
compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.0
Module class: X.Org Video Driver
(II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver 180.44 Mon Mar 23 15:05:32 PST 2009
(II) NVIDIA Unified Driver for all Supported NVIDIA GPUs
(II) Primary Device is: PCI 01@00:00:0
(II) Loading sub module "fb"
(II) LoadModule: "fb"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libfb.so
(II) Module fb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.6.0, module version = 1.0.0
ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
(II) Loading sub module "wfb"
(II) LoadModule: "wfb"
(II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libwfb.so
(II) Module wfb: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
compiled for 1.6.0, module version = 1.0.0
ABI class: X.Org ANSI C Emulation, version 0.4
(II) Loading sub module "ramdac"
(II) LoadModule: "ramdac"
(II) Module "ramdac" already built-in
(II) resource ranges after probing:
[0] -1 0 0xffffffff - 0xffffffff (0x1) MX[b]
[1] -1 0 0x000f0000 - 0x000fffff (0x10000) MX[b]
[2] -1 0 0x000c0000 - 0x000effff (0x30000) MX[b]
[3] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x0009ffff (0xa0000) MX[b]
[4] -1 0 0x0000ffff - 0x0000ffff (0x1) IX[b]
[5] -1 0 0x00000000 - 0x00000000 (0x1) IX[b]
(**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
(==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 888
(==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "NoLogo" "True"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
(II) NVIDIA(0): Support for GLX with the Damage and Composite X extensions is
(II) NVIDIA(0): enabled.
(EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!
(EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
(II) UnloadModule: "nvidia"
(II) UnloadModule: "wfb"
(II) UnloadModule: "fb"
(EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

Thank you very much for any help.

holmberg 04-26-09 03:36 AM

Re: ubuntu Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module!

I also just upgraded to Ubuntu 9.04. My laptop has a GeForce 8200M G chip, and I was using the version 180 proprietary driver from the Ubuntu repository. After I upgraded to 9.04, the sytem would lock up after a minute or two of interaction. I've now upgraded to the 185 beta driver, and it is stable again. But it wasn't easy--I had the same problems as you.

First, in the Hardware Drivers window, remove the 180 driver. Then reboot.

When it's up again, leave the graphics screen, go to a terminal window (crtl-alt-f1), and log in. Use ps to find the X and gdm processes, and kill them.

Run "sudo NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.04-pkg1.run" and follow the instructions. In my case, the tool needed to build a new kernel module. Reboot.

When it comes up, you should see a new NVidia splash screen saying "Beta driver" in red. Once in your desktop, you can configure the driver using "sudo nvidia-settings".

The reason for the errors you were getting was that the kernel module became version 185 (after install) while the driver was still version 180. You have to completely remove the 180 driver and reboot before installing the new driver.

Hope this helps.

Greg Holmberg

thefirstm 04-26-09 04:24 AM

You didn't need to go to all that trouble. You can always find the latest NVIDIA driver in my PPA on Launchpad. Just remove the Nvidia driver you manually installed (run the package with --uninstall), add my PPA to your repository list, and install the driver again with the non-free driver tool. Then, you will get all of the advantages of the DKMS system without having to use the old Nvidia driver packaged with Ubuntu.

anomie 04-28-09 01:45 PM

Thank you for your replies.

thefirstm, I have linked for now to your PPA.

As mentioned in my original post , I have never had any luck with nvidia drivers but that is due to my inexperience I'm sure. Now that gnome is using xorg.conf less and less, I am less enthused about learning nuances.

Will post back if I have success, when have a chance to pursue this further.

Thank you again.

mbobak 04-28-09 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefirstm (Post 1991726)
You didn't need to go to all that trouble. You can always find the latest NVIDIA driver in my PPA on Launchpad. Just remove the Nvidia driver you manually installed (run the package with --uninstall), add my PPA to your repository list, and install the driver again with the non-free driver tool. Then, you will get all of the advantages of the DKMS system without having to use the old Nvidia driver packaged with Ubuntu.

Sweet! I'll have to try that out when I get home! :-)

colo 04-28-09 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefirstm (Post 1991726)

But you mention build failures on your site

thefirstm 04-29-09 02:11 AM

The build failures are for the LPIA architecture (Intel Atom, netbooks). The build failed because there is no nvidia driver released for that architecture. The i386 and amd64 builds were successful.

anomie 05-16-09 09:37 PM

My problem solved by removing an old file that (tried) to invoke nvidia from /etc/modprobe that was preventing nvidia from loading.

removed that file and then
Code:

modprobe nvidia
worked and now am cruising with nvidia.!

:afro::captnkill: