nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   General Hardware (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   DVI->HDMI quality issues (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=132100)

de><ta 04-27-09 12:23 PM

DVI->HDMI quality issues

At present I am using a 1080p HDTV as a computer monitor and I recently tried using a DVI to HDMI adapter to connect to it from my PC. It looked like crap, it was blurry and pixelated as hell. :thumbdwn:

After a lot of tweaking it looks decent, but the text still does not look nearly as good as the VGA output.

Am I doing something wrong? Or is there a way I can get a sharp and clear image onto my HDTV using HDMI.

Revs 04-27-09 12:27 PM

Re: DVI->HDMI quality issues

Similar setup here (DVI PC-HDMI TV). I have problems if I set up the screen in the windows thing, but not if I use the NVidia CP.

Hope this helps :).

EDIT: Where on the cable is your adapter; On the PC end or the TV end?

de><ta 04-27-09 12:45 PM

Not sure if I have the Nvidia Control Panel installed, however I will download it and try it out tonight.

I have the adapter on the PC end from DVI to HDMI. At first I thought it was a problem with my monitor, since it works great with a VGA input.

Thanks anyway, will let you know how it goes. :)

Revs 04-27-09 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by de><ta (Post 1992641)
Not sure if I have the Nvidia Control Panel installed, however I will download it and try it out tonight.

I have the adapter on the PC end from DVI to HDMI. At first I thought it was a problem with my monitor, since it works great with a VGA input.

Thanks anyway, will let you know how it goes. :)

No need to install anything, just right-click on the desktop and click on 'NVIDIA Control Panel' ;). Also, it sounds like you've got it wired the same as me.

ASUSEN7900GTX 04-27-09 01:47 PM

i know if i use any other resolution than 1360X768 my screen looks **** but at the native rez it is as good as a PC-monitor would bw wierd that 1080p tvs does that

nekrosoft13 04-27-09 01:57 PM

on my tv i have to set the "sharpness" to the right settings other wise text is not readable.

zarlaan 04-28-09 06:47 PM

Double check your TV manual for the inputs. Some TV's require that you connect a PC to a certain input.

For example I have the Samsung LN450A LCD. I'm running a DVI-HDMI cable but I have to use the HDMI input 2 as it's designed for computer input. Using this input also enables me to run 1920x1080 resolution even though the tv is only a 720p.

hokeyplyr48 04-29-09 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zarlaan (Post 1993849)
Using this input also enables me to run 1920x1080 resolution even though the tv is only a 720p.

uhhhh using hdmi 2 makes more pixels???

ViN86 04-29-09 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zarlaan (Post 1993849)
Double check your TV manual for the inputs. Some TV's require that you connect a PC to a certain input.

For example I have the Samsung LN450A LCD. I'm running a DVI-HDMI cable but I have to use the HDMI input 2 as it's designed for computer input. Using this input also enables me to run 1920x1080 resolution even though the tv is only a 720p.

Sure it's at that resolution, but it's probably at 30Hz instead of 60Hz. This is also known as 1080i.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hokeyplyr48 (Post 1994211)
uhhhh using hdmi 2 makes more pixels???

No, the resolution is not 1080p, it's 1080i. TV takes 1920x1080 at 30Hz, splits it into two 540 line images, hence increasing the refresh rate to 60 Hz. The two images appear to be 1920x1080 to the eye, but are actually two 540 horizontal line images in sequence. That's how interlacing works.

Revs 04-29-09 11:11 AM

Don't think that's what he meant, ViN :). It sounds like using this socket will allow a higher than native resolution to be used, but the TV will down-scale it to the screens res.

In the shops they seem to refer to this as HD-ready, as opposed to True HD. At least they do in the UK.

de><ta 04-29-09 11:17 AM

Update: the screen looks good when watching movies and playing games. But reading text is a big PITA, since the white background looks off-white (more yellowish).

Revs 04-29-09 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by de><ta (Post 1994334)
Update: the screen looks good when watching movies and playing games. But reading text is a big PITA, since the white background looks off-white (more yellowish).

Did you have a go at setting it up in the NVidiaCP? Also are you sure you're res. is set to the native res. of the screen?