nV News Forums

 
 

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   3 way SLI (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=132419)

fasedww 05-04-09 12:09 PM

3 way SLI
 
I was thinking, when we start getting alot of games with physics, It would be better to put my tri SLI into Dual SLI and use the third gtx 280 for dedicated physics right? I been reading that having two gtx 280's in sli with a dedicated physics card is faster than tri sli:)

trivium nate 05-04-09 08:02 PM

Re: 3 way SLI
 
sounds killer but you probably woudlnt need that much for a phsyx card

fasedww 05-04-09 08:52 PM

Re: 3 way SLI
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by trivium nate (Post 1997850)
sounds killer but you probably woudlnt need that much for a phsyx card

Right but my as well use the third gtx 280 for Physics just take tril sli bridge off put dual bridge on then set the third gtx for physics card right? that way won't have to remove anything, just switch sli bridges.:)

trivium nate 05-04-09 09:24 PM

Re: 3 way SLI
 
Yeah you go into nvidia control panel and select phsyx then you select which card you want pshyx to be run from :)

paras 05-05-09 02:06 PM

Re: 3 way SLI
 
agreed u can do that but wouldnt be it better to use a 200$ + card as a normal sli card rather a PHYSX card?

i think 3 cards can share the PHYSX calculations themselves( i may be wrong)

fasedww 05-05-09 02:56 PM

Re: 3 way SLI
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by paras (Post 1998415)
agreed u can do that but wouldnt be it better to use a 200$ + card as a normal sli card rather a PHYSX card?

i think 3 cards can share the PHYSX calculations themselves( i may be wrong)

Yes they can, But it's faster dual SLI gtx's 280's with a dedicated Physics card, than if I have it set up like now tri SLI , with Physics enabled but shared or whatever. My point is I have the tri sli set up right know, so All I will have to do is pull the tri SLI bridge, Put on dual SLI bridge, and select the card which isn't on the SLI bridge which will be my third GTX 280 to dedicated physics card not shared with the dual SLI bridged cards. Its faster that way in Physics games.:)

john19055 05-05-09 06:21 PM

Re: 3 way SLI
 
Where have you read that .I am running TRI SLI and have physics enable and it is plenty fast on any game I run.The GTX 280 has plenty of power to run physics and it other game duties.

fasedww 05-05-09 06:37 PM

Re: 3 way SLI
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by john19055 (Post 1998570)
Where have you read that .I am running TRI SLI and have physics enable and it is plenty fast on any game I run.The GTX 280 has plenty of power to run physics and it other game duties.

There's other studys out there too, thats why evga classfied can do tri sli plus a physics card. it matters if you got a motherboard with tri sli slots thats all its better to SLI two and use a dedicated physics card for better performance than just 3 way sli.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/855/1/

I have tri sli setup, and sure it runs it fast enough, but as you can see it's not as fast when you have a dedicated physics card

john19055 05-05-09 06:50 PM

Re: 3 way SLI
 
What about when you are running 4xFSAA and 16x aniso do you still get better results with just two GTX280's in SLI and one of them just for physics.

fasedww 05-05-09 06:56 PM

Re: 3 way SLI
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by john19055 (Post 1998614)
What about when you are running 4xFSAA and 16x aniso do you still get better results with just two GTX280's in SLI and one of them just for physics.

Don't know :) I run all my games at 1920/1200, almost all the time if games will let me.

john19055 05-05-09 07:21 PM

Re: 3 way SLI
 
I play my games at 1920x1200 but I run the highest FSAA and aniso I can .Looks like that third GTX 280 would help there.

fasedww 05-05-09 07:26 PM

Re: 3 way SLI
 
I no it makes a difference in games that don't have physics period, alot really, :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.