nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   9800 GTX display freaking and locking up machine (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=132433)

quads 05-04-09 02:05 PM

9800 GTX display freaking and locking up machine

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 9800 GTX and am running Mandriva 2009.1 32-bit with kernel 2.6.29.1. My card seems to work normally for periods of time, but will lock up at random during screensavers or while playing flash videos. The display turns one of number of random colors and the mouse pointer turns into a square. I can't drop to a shell or anything, all I can do is reset the machine. As long as the machine is idling it is fine. This happens with or without compiz running. I had the same issue in Kubuntu 8.10 64-bit.

I know that it is not a hardware issue, as I installed Win XP to a secondary drive just to test for that. Also if I disable the nvidia driver and run a lower resolution it does not occur either. I have 180.51 installed, it also did it with the older one, 177 something think. I cannot find anything in the logs that would indicate a problem, but I am still looking.

quads 05-06-09 10:27 AM

Re: 9800 GTX display freaking and locking up machine

Can someone tell me something on this? Here is an example of what shows up in the logs.

May 7 16:44:41 localhost klogd: NVRM: Xid (0002:00): 6, PE007f
May 7 16:44:50 localhost klogd: NVRM: Xid (0002:00): 26, Ch 0000007f M 00000c6c D 00f96c6c intr 04401011
May 7 16:44:50 localhost klogd: NVRM: Xid (0002:00): 26, Ch 00000000 M 00000c6c D 00f96c6c intr 00400000
May 7 16:44:50 localhost klogd: NVRM: Xid (0002:00): 6, PE007f

Its basically always the same. I can't even really use my card. Anytime I try to do anything the least bit graphically intense it just locks up with wierd patterns on the screen.

quads 05-19-09 10:59 AM

Somebody tell me something about this.

Mistoffeles 05-19-09 02:46 PM

This actually is a hardware flaw in the 9800 GTX, as it was released with a factory overclock. Any application that does not include framerate throttling will cause runaway framerate which will in turn cause the card to overheat and lock up. This happens regardless what the OS or application is.

Unfortunately the only cure is to throttle the bandwidth manually, via whatever applicable configuration file or utility you can find.

quads 05-19-09 06:40 PM

Thanks. This is odd, however, since I can run it all night long in Vista. I will look into this.

quads 05-20-09 11:46 AM

This is not an overheating issue.

The freeze sometimes occurs almost instantly. Framerate has nothing to do with it. I watch framerates and it can occur at any framerate.

It is not hardware related at all. It is a linux driver issue. The driver is flawed. Nvidia should respond to customers that have owned many of their cards over the years. This is the first issue I have ever had, but it is quite serious.

quads 05-22-09 09:31 PM

Hey nVidia- don't put out bull**** drivers when people pay good money for your cards. You assholes stir up all of that fake fanboy bull**** to sell cards, but you can't back up the drivers for them worth a ****. **** you. To everybody else, buy ATI from now on. **** nVidia.

thefirstm 05-23-09 04:48 AM

Before complaining about the NVIDIA driver so much, they should try using some other card. NVIDIA is the only graphics card manufacturer which has a high-performing 3D and 2D driver for Linux (whether open- or closed-source) which supports hardware-accelerated video decoding and suspend/resume. The XOrg Intel driver has suspend and resume support, but its 3D performance is poor (simply because of the chipset) and it does not support video decoding for H264 and VC1. The XOrg ATI driver also supports suspend and resume, and has good 2D performance, but it only supports OpenGL 1.4 and its 3D performance on newer cards can be quite bad. It, too, has no support for hardware video decode acceleration. The ATI fglrx driver has mediocre 2D and 3D performance, and also has no video decode acceleration and no/poor support for power management operations.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

quads 05-26-09 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thefirstm (Post 2014098)
Before complaining about the NVIDIA driver so much, they should try using some other card.

That is exactly what I am going to do. The grass is greener on the other side when the card WORKS. I don't care how slow the 3D is or what version of OpenGL it supports, if it is freezing the machine what is the sense in having it?

And it is very well known that nvidia creates fake fan support for its products to sell cards. I don't care what the name is on the card as long as it works. I have used nvidia cards for the last ten years and never had issues, so I've never had to look for help. Now that I know what kind of support nvidia offers its customers (look at all the posts here that never even get replied to) I will never buy anything nvidia again, and I will never put anything nvidia in a system I build for someone again. People pay good money for these products, they should at least work. They don't have to be perfect, the drivers don't have to be as flawless as windows drivers, but they should work. And I see a lot of people online with this card, and they don't work.