nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   NVIDIA has restored their good LINUX support opinion in my eyes (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=132710)

Gregor A. 05-09-09 04:29 AM

NVIDIA has restored their good LINUX support opinion in my eyes

If you read my old posts, you can read often that I was very worry about my last NVIDIA deal (last year).
After my last NVIDIA deal I have tested some new ATI Cards on our three computers.

In the same time I have tested every new NVIDIA driver on our one last NVIDIA computer.
I observed the all NVIDIA improvements.
And now I must tell you, we are back to NVIDIA...

I have sold all our ATI Graphics (two Radeon HD 4850) on ebay and replace it with NVIDIA products (like GTX260).

The computers are now much more usable. (DualHead is working smoothly together with 3D, 2D, composite and video)

The major improvements:
Fast 2D (move, scale Windows and other GUI operations)
No problems with KDE 4 in combination with other 2D, 3D application
Adobe Flash uses the Hardware and don't eat 100% CPU resources anymore in HD.
VDAPU

So many thanks to the NVIDIA team and please don't stop the nice support.

Pietr 05-09-09 05:01 AM

Re: NVIDIA has restored their good LINUX support opinion in my eyes

Which cards, other than the GTX260 you mentioned, are you using? Does the driver work equally well on all of them or are some cards still more troublesome than others?

Gregor A. 05-09-09 05:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pietr (Post 2001590)
Which cards, other than the GTX260 you mentioned, are you using

I mean the 8th generation GeForce (like 8800GTS) and newer.

tier 05-09-09 06:53 AM

It works like a charm in my G8*, too. No one can expect that there wont be any regressions as this happens with OpenSource drivers also. But I really like the nice 2D acceleration, VDPAU is one of the greatest things ever und the forthgoing developement which brings enhancements everywhere step by step.

I'm using the latest beta or prerelease drivers and I havent had any problems for some time now. Not even with supending.

All in All: Great work, I'm glad that Nvidia's Linux support is the way it always has been: better than the rest and nowadays it has become even greater.

If I buy a new graphics hardware, it will be nvidia.

raphoun 05-09-09 08:00 AM

My futur mediacenter will be nvidia (ion) because of the vdpau support, it's such a great thing!

Gregoire.Favre 05-09-09 08:04 AM

Same happiness for me with my G94 ASUS silent and vdpau for my 2560x1600 :-)

Harri 05-09-09 08:43 AM

Same for me. I was really pissed about the missing video acceleration in the old drivers. VDPAU works very well for me.

And the new Ion GPU is the hottest thing in the netbook sector since Asus released the first eeepc.

mdoerner 05-09-09 09:14 AM

I have a ASUS M3A78-T mobo with an ATI Radeon 3300 IGP on it. Very nice overall, but I thought it was getting in the way of my overclocking (it was, kind-of). Anyhoo, I got an Nvidia 9600 GSO instead of an ATI product. Very happy overall, the only annoying hiccup right now is occasional video freezes with running BOINC/CUDA in the background, but I don't consider that a "normal" setup anyways. Everything runs fine otherwise in Linux 64-bit and WinXP 32-bit......

Mike Doerner

artem 05-09-09 11:37 AM

I could also be happy if this problem didn't exist ;)

I'm a systems administrator and do a lot of work in Konsole and right now my eyes bleed if I work for too long.

dr_asfak 05-11-09 12:42 PM

NO, I DON'T AGREE (sorry for i am shouting because i couldn't be heard since 1 year.)

I need old legacy driver 7xxx for newer xorg.

mdoerner 05-11-09 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dr_asfak (Post 2002886)
NO, I DON'T AGREE (sorry for i am shouting because i couldn't be heard since 1 year.)

I need old legacy driver 7xxx for newer xorg.

And you can't afford a $50 Nvidia video card because,why again???? They still make 'em for PCI bus (for now, at least).

Mike Doerner

Ralph 05-11-09 02:02 PM

180.51 = the best driver ever!

:thumbsup: