nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Palit 9800GT fan very loud under Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=133026)

Jaap v Ganswijk 05-16-09 07:09 PM

Palit 9800GT fan very loud under Linux

I recently bought a Palit 9800GT video card and it works perfectly under Windows, that is, it's very quiet when I'm not playing a game and I don't mind that it becomes louder when I am playing a demanding 3d-game (but I haven't noticed that) but under Linux it's constantly very loud. This seems to be because the fan is constantly running at full speed.

I have spend many hours trying to find a solution on the internet but didn't find one. I have also asked in the store where I bought the video card and they knew about the problem(!) and didn't have a solution either and were also waiting for nVidia to solve it.

It seems that the driver has to keep track of the temperature and adjust the fan-speed and when there is no appropriate driver the fan will rotate at full speed (which is a safe design decision given the circumstances) but I think that critical hardware should always be able to work independently of software, which means that the hardware should regulate the fan speed itself independently of the software. You should be able to set a desired temperature and when the temperature gets above it, the fan should go faster and the other way around. This setting should start with a sensible value (like 55 degrees celcius) and should be changeable in the BIOS and/or in the OS when the OS recognizes the hardware setting. But to make the hardware feedback dependent on software seems to be a clear design mistake.

By the way, for the time being I have installed my old MSI NX7600GT video card again because it's passively cooled and it still does well enough for most games (except Quantum of Solace but I have finished that by now). By the way, they are currently selling a passively cooled 9500GT for 55 euro and I was wondering if that would be much better than the 7600 card, but according to the store it wouldn't be much more than 25% better. (But it would have CUDA which I want to experiment with under Linux).

Can someone from nVidia comment on this problem? This problem should concern everyone using a modern nVidia card under Linux assuming that Palit used the standard design from nVidia as the person in the store confirmed.

What I would like to know is: Is this problem known to nVidia? Is it being worked on? Will it be solved soon? Will it also be solved in the open-source nVidia driver?

BTW. Installing the nVidiadrivers can be very hard...

Thunderbird 05-17-09 11:27 AM

Re: Palit 9800GT fan very loud under Linux

Have you tried nvclock yet? It allows fan speed adjustment. Though I might not support your type of 9800 yet.

Jaap v Ganswijk 05-18-09 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderbird (Post 2008569)
Have you tried nvclock yet? It allows fan speed adjustment. Though I might not support your type of 9800 yet.

No, I haven't tried that yet, because I nowhere read about it yet.

Please consider that to try this I will have to change my videocard again and then spend some time finding the application (?) and testing it. This will take a minimum of say two hours but usually it takes much longer.

Before doing this I'd rather know if this problem is known and has been addressed. Doesn't Nvidia have a problem database?

BTW. Some months ago there were pages on the nVidia site where one could check how much faster a new video card would be compared to ones old video card but within the same PC configuration. Is that still available? I would like to know how much faster a 9500GT would be compared with a 7600GT and how much slower than a 9800GT...

Jaap v Ganswijk 05-18-09 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaap v Ganswijk (Post 2010532)
No, I haven't tried that yet, because I nowhere read about it yet.

Please consider that to try this I will have to change my videocard again and then spend some time finding the application (?) and testing it. This will take a minimum of say two hours but usually it takes much longer.

Update:

I just restarted my PC with Linux again (with my passively cooled 7600GT still installed) and typed nvclock and it said I had to install it using apt-get which worked as quickly as usual. The application now works as I hoped for. I can change the fan speed of my fanless 7600 GT from 10 to 100. ;-) I assume that the fan control part is present in the chip even when there is no actual fan attached.

I'll try nvclock with my 9800GT card tomorrow and will let know the results in this thread later.

Thanks for the very good tip! Please also include it in the docs on www.nvidia.com!

If it all works out as expected I will have a fanless, supercool, noisefree 7600GT for sale...
But what am I saying: supercool? It's GPU-temperature is 71 degrees celsius! Well most chips are guaranteed to work upto 70 degrees. Perhaps I should redesign the airflow through my PC?

jyavenard 05-18-09 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaap v Ganswijk (Post 2010561)
It's GPU-temperature is 71 degrees celsius! Well most chips are guaranteed to work upto 70 degrees. Perhaps I should redesign the airflow through my PC?

My 9400GT shows the maximum temperature settings at 120 degres.. so 71 degres is pretty cool

Jaap v Ganswijk 05-19-09 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jyavenard (Post 2010571)
My 9400GT shows the maximum temperature settings at 120 degres.. so 71 degres is pretty cool

I know quite a lot about chips, see my site:

http://www.chipdir.nl/

but I'm not an overclocking expert so I start to worry when a chip reaches a temperature of over 70 degrees (and especially measured under Linux, not using any of it's 3D-capabilities).

Normally I don't overclock parts (CPU's and GPU's) unless they are cheap to replace but why overclock them? Just buy a new generation of hardware!

BTW. When your GPU reaches a temperature of 120 degrees, you can boil water on it or instantly fry an egg on it!

In principle I prefer a modern video card with a fan that only
starts to rotate fast enough to make noise when the card
really starts to work at heavy-3D problems.

By the way, only the game 'Quantum of Solace' was demanding
enough to make me upgrade my hardware. The demo was very
shaky and almost unplayable.

I had a discussion once with a sales person in a PC-shop about
Crysis and that it demanded so much from the hardware but
I could play it quite well using my old CPU (3500+ AMD Athlon 64)
and my old 7600GT at modest settings of course (1024x768).

But never underestimate the power of the old nVidia cards!

Over the years I have gained experience with the TNT1/TNT2
and Geforce4/5/6/7/9.

The TNT1 is no longer supported by nVidia, but the TNT2 is
still capable of delivering quite impressive 3D-power (for old
games).

Of course I wouldn't recommend it for modern PC's...

Jaap v Ganswijk 05-19-09 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thunderbird (Post 2008569)

Bad news.

The nvclock that I downloaded using 'apt-get install nvclock' installed the about-a-year-old v0.8 Beta3 version which doesn't recognize my card yet, but can read it's temperature correctly.

I downloaded the source of the latest (Beta4) version and compiled it and it does recognize my card, but it doesn't read the temperature correctly (-394C).

I have emailed the author of the software who is probably the same 'Thunderbird' who mentioned nvclock for the first time in this thread with more technical details and questions about how I can help him develop his software further. From the software source I gather that the cards have used all kinds of temperature sensor chips over the years (some over an I2C bus and others not...)

Till later...

BTW. Some assistence from NVidia might help. These details are clearly not crucial industrial secrets. I already programmed for Dallas (now Maxim) temperature sensors via the Dallas single wire bus in the early ninetees which is comparable with the Philips I2C-bus which I also programmed for. Nvidia: Please make all non-strategical data available to avoid that end-users like me (who happen to understand these things) have to spend days fixing problems that should have been fixed years/months ago. Anyone know how these things are with the AMD/ATI chips?

Jaap v Ganswijk 06-10-09 10:39 PM

I have just downloaded and installed(?) the latest drivers from NVidia and upgraded Ubuntu to the latest version and the problem seems to be solved.

When I try to look at the video card details via the screen settings icon at the top it says that it can't handle the Nvidia hardware and offers to connect me to the Nvidia video card monitoring application and that seems to be quite sophisticated and says that my video card has a temperature of around 51 degrees celcius, which I think is very acceptable.

Nice that this problem has been resolved quite quickly (after I complained about it) but I saw on this forum that there have been earlier complaints...

Request: Why not show other parameters like fan-speed? And it would perhaps be nice to get tuning options.