nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   id Tech 6 preview (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=133493)

AirRaid 05-25-09 07:04 PM

id Tech 6 preview

Found this on NeoGAF, credit to maniac-kun for posting this

SH64 05-25-09 08:15 PM

Re: id Tech 6 preview

WOW teh bigman is being used as a model for id tech 6?? :p

will be interesting to see how Voxel+RT fair against current rendering tech. I guess this means the coming back of the CPU computation power after being dismissed for several years!

jlippo 05-26-09 05:31 AM

That demo isn't part of idtech6, it's a Siggraph2008 presentation by Jon Olick.
Voxels were traced on normal nvidia GPU using Cuda. (GTX280, if I remember correctly.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpEpAFGplnI&fmt=18

I personally will be thrilled to see what they will be used in the future and the filesizes.. ;)

jolle 05-26-09 08:10 AM

Yeah I didnt see any mention of Id in the video.
There are a bunch of SVO stuff on youtube aswell.
But Carmack has been talking about using raytracing with stuff like this, instead of just putting it in and replacing rasterization straight off the bat, as Intel has done with a bunch of demos using different versions of the quake engines.

Noriega 05-26-09 10:11 AM

Oh man Quake Engine you can do on it everything buy my question is can you frizzle eggs on Quake Engine?

Lfctony 05-26-09 10:59 AM

Moar plastic... YAY!!! :headexplode:

OldOfEvil 05-26-09 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lfctony (Post 2015802)
Moar plastic... YAY!!! :headexplode:

Don't worry, things will get even more shiny!

Vanzagar 05-26-09 05:24 PM

God, i wished they'd spend 10% of the time they spend on making these detailed models and put that time into a better story or game characters we can care about... I don;t really need to have detail on the fricken finger tips of my monsters... make the game somthing else then another pointless, point and shoot/stab gore fest...

Just my 2 cents...

Vanz

KasuCode 05-27-09 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanzagar (Post 2016000)
God, i wished they'd spend 10% of the time they spend on making these detailed models and put that time into a better story or game characters we can care about... I don;t really need to have detail on the fricken finger tips of my monsters... make the game somthing else then another pointless, point and shoot/stab gore fest...

Just my 2 cents...

Vanz

A picture is worth 1000 words. Use them and make up your own story.

jlippo 05-27-09 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanzagar (Post 2016000)

I'm pretty sure the reason he used the monster for demonstration is because it was available and it had enough detail to make good demonstration.

It is very unlikely that SVO will be used for characters as the animating them is a lot harder than polygonal objects.
What you will see with the tech is very detailed freeform worlds with some seriously interesting local effects for shadows, reflections and such.

TheANIMAL 06-05-09 05:37 AM

Bump.

I dont think some of you appreciate the importance of this demo. We are moving from mega textures in id tech 5 to real time mega geometry in id tech 6.

Theoretically speaking this opens up the possibility of simulations that go far beyond anything we have today. Theoretically voxells could allow every footprint to be real geometry, permanent and infintedly viewed form an infinite distance because the voxells are called into existance on a per pixel basis.

This technology also eliminates the need for LOD, completely eliminates it. I was really hoping for an ID demonstration at E3 but maybe it will happen a Siggraph instead.

Vanzagar 06-05-09 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheANIMAL (Post 2023519)
Bump.

I dont think some of you appreciate the importance of this demo.

I think you're right... there's too many grandiose claims out there that I can;t get excited about until I see/try a demo of it in action or at very least a decent vid demonstrating it in action... I got excited about Project Offset about 4 years ago and look where that's got me...

Vanz