nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows 7 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Windows 7 and Microsoft (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=134079)

a12ctic 06-05-09 10:09 AM

Windows 7 and Microsoft

Am I the only one that is incredibly impressed with microsoft and what they're doing with Windows 7?

For a long time I had very little respect for microsoft. With the introduction of the Windows 7 beta cycle, this has completely changed. Traditionally I've felt like Microsoft generally leaves the enthusiest crowd in the dark, however, I feel like this is not the case at all for windows 7. I have receaved pleasant emails from MS, I've been given the oppurtinity to test one of the first MS products suitible for my daily use, and I've actually enjoyed using Windows 7.

Anyway, its been a really nice experience. I've been using Windows 7 happily for a few months. I still use Linux on all my other box's. I actually think that I will purchase W7 when it comes out.

Good job microsoft.

Sean_W 06-05-09 10:26 AM

Re: Windows 7 and Microsoft

I'm surprised at you a12ctic, we don't use Windows not because it's maybe good but because if their restrictions, licences and ways. Windows 7 doesn't change any of that.

To me on a desktop point of view, it doesn't offer anything more KDE4.2/4.3 does. I'm not a gamer now days, I like to get more constructive stuff done and I can do that with Linux. Windows 7 offers me nothing than what I already have.

saturnotaku 06-05-09 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean_W (Post 2023655)
I'm surprised at you a12ctic, we don't use Windows not because it's maybe good but because if their restrictions, licences and ways. Windows 7 doesn't change any of that.

To me on a desktop point of view, it doesn't offer anything more KDE4.2/4.3 does. I'm not a gamer now days, I like to get more constructive stuff done and I can do that with Linux. Windows 7 offers me nothing than what I already have.

Then back to the Linux forum with you.

http://origin.arstechnica.com/journa...a/raid_can.jpg

Toss3 06-05-09 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by saturnotaku (Post 2023668)
Then back to the Linux forum with you.

http://origin.arstechnica.com/journa...a/raid_can.jpg

ROFL

I can't say I agree with you A12ctic as windows 7 is pretty much Windows Vista in a different disguise, I mean it doesn't bring anything new to the table and it appears as if microsoft is once again catering for the mainstream crowd before the enthusiasts(can't stop windows from installing wdm drivers for my hardware). They've also removed the option of installing your own codecs on the OS and the ridiculous amount of windows Updates speaks for itself.

Windows 7 is by no means a bad OS and is one of best out-of-the-box stable Windows:es ever, but I just fail to see how they've catered to the enthusiasts by removing options and simplifying the whole thing.

a12ctic 06-05-09 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toss3 (Post 2023680)
ROFL

I can't say I agree with you A12ctic as windows 7 is pretty much Windows Vista in a different disguise, I mean it doesn't bring anything new to the table and it appears as if microsoft is once again catering for the mainstream crowd before the enthusiasts(can't stop windows from installing wdm drivers for my hardware). They've also removed the option of installing your own codecs on the OS and the ridiculous amount of windows Updates speaks for itself.

Windows 7 is by no means a bad OS and is one of best out-of-the-box stable Windows:es ever, but I just fail to see how they've catered to the enthusiasts by removing options and simplifying the whole thing.

I guess I'm just not used to MS products feeling so complete and smooth. The desktop experience is just so much more fluid than anything pre-W7.

That being said, I still believe in the philosophy behind Linux. Its just nice to be able to play games and not completely dread using Windows while my rig is still pretty capable. Hopefully by the time it starts to get dated the ATI open source drivers will be further along then they are now.

Rakeesh 06-05-09 12:18 PM

While linux is a great os that has many uses, one thing it isn't is a desktop OS, plain and simple. Google describes it best:

http://arstechnica.com/open-source/n...-for-linux.ars

Quote:

Google Chrome developer Ben Goodger expressed frustration with Linux user interface toolkits and commented that the platform's lack of consistency makes it difficult to know what to target.

"First of all let me generally comment that this entire situation is a clusterf*ck. I am not happy with the technical constraints imposed by Linux and its assorted UIs on Chrome's UI and feature set," he wrote. "There isn't dominant consensus around toolkit and HIG, there seems to be variance in commonly used software as to how it's constructed and what it matches, and I've not heard anyone glow about how they can create the coolest looking UIs with GTK."

nekrosoft13 06-05-09 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK (Post 2023727)
While linux is a great os that has many uses, one thing it isn't is a desktop OS, plain and simple. Google describes it best:

and that is the problem with open-source, everyone creates his/her version and all it does create more confusion

nekrosoft13 06-05-09 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a12ctic (Post 2023644)
Am I the only one that is incredibly impressed with microsoft and what they're doing with Windows 7?

For a long time I had very little respect for microsoft. With the introduction of the Windows 7 beta cycle, this has completely changed. Traditionally I've felt like Microsoft generally leaves the enthusiest crowd in the dark, however, I feel like this is not the case at all for windows 7. I have receaved pleasant emails from MS, I've been given the oppurtinity to test one of the first MS products suitible for my daily use, and I've actually enjoyed using Windows 7.

Anyway, its been a really nice experience. I've been using Windows 7 happily for a few months. I still use Linux on all my other box's. I actually think that I will purchase W7 when it comes out.

Good job microsoft.

i agree that win7 is good, but there really isn't much new. seen it all with vista sp1.

mailman2 06-05-09 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by a12ctic (Post 2023644)

No, but welcome to 6 months ago.

Alot of us have been going from build to build, Windows 7 is amazing. Nothing like the POS predecessor we've all grown to hate. The V word will be a thing of the past. 7 rocks.

mailman2 06-05-09 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 (Post 2023743)
i agree that win7 is good, but there really isn't much new. seen it all with vista sp1.

Everything works. What else "new" do you need? :D

Yaboze 06-05-09 01:10 PM

10/22 can't come fast enough but RC is rocking for now.

Sean_W 06-05-09 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK (Post 2023727)

Well they were the ones who picked GTK+. This is just inexperience kicking in here and I've never seen OpenSource developers saying such things.

It's like saying 'I've just built a house on the moon. I designed it for earth but it just doesn't fit well on the moon and it's surroundings'.

It seems even people with such resources and money like Google they can't knuckle down and just do it without whining. Just look at their browser, it looks like something straight out of XP, other web browsers for linux DEs actually fit into the rest of the desktop environment.