nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA Linux (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Mplayer VDPAU and Xinerama (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=134480)

Hellkeepa 06-14-09 03:37 PM

Mplayer VDPAU and Xinerama

HELLo!

I was wondering what the status with VDPAU and Xinerama was, and if there's any ETA on when this combination will be supported?
Reason I ask is that I was presented with the following error, when trying to play H.264 content. Despite the fact that VDPAU was supported nicely, using the latest drivers, and mplayer compiled without issues.
Code:

Matroska file format detected.
VIDEO:  [avc1]  1904x1072  24bpp  23.976 fps    0.0 kbps ( 0.0 kbyte/s)
VDPAU capture: Enabled
vdp_imp_device_create_x11(0x157d6a0, 0, -, -)
VDPAU nvidia: Error detected 0 5324
VDPAU nvidia: Backtrace:
--: /usr/lib/libvdpau_nvidia.so [0x7f8f108eb000] DSO load base
00: /usr/lib/libvdpau_nvidia.so [0x7f8f108f0348] vdp_imp_device_create_x11
    -> 1
[vdpau] Error when calling vdp_device_create_x11: 1
Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.

Normal invocation works fine, except that it somehow uses the ffmpeg libraries by default even though I used "--disable-x264"...

TwinView is not a viable solution for me, as I have one 17" and one 21" monitor. Both requiring different resolution and refresh rates. Using multiple X-servers lacks some of the functionality, to be an attractive solution.
So, what I'm left with right now is the option of spawning a whole new X-server for playing videos. With its own configuration. At least, I reckon that'll work. Hope that it won't be too long until Xinerama is supported by VDPAU though.

Please..?

Happy codin'!

Stephen Warren 06-15-09 11:11 AM

Re: Mplayer VDPAU and Xinerama

There's no current ETA for Xinerama support.

Can you explain why TwinView won't work? It certainly allows each display to have different resolutions and refresh rate.

Hellkeepa 06-15-09 10:30 PM

HELLo!

Hmm.. Odd. Last time I tried to disable Xinerama to use TwinView, the Nvidia-settings app wouldn't allow me to select different resolutions and refresh rates. I'll try to edit the xorg.conf file manually, and see if that helps.

Happy codin'!

Torg 07-06-09 02:57 PM

Because I have three monitors and TwinView will only work on two at a time. I need to span all three monitors so I can use the entire desktop and not two separate servers.

Vorgus 07-07-09 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Warren (Post 2029704)
There's no current ETA for Xinerama support.

Can you explain why TwinView won't work? It certainly allows each display to have different resolutions and refresh rate.

I have tried this and found that it uses the image as setup for the first monitor in clone mode. If the second monitor is a different resolution and lower it only shows part of the image.

geki 06-08-10 05:36 PM

sorry to revive old thread, but ...

okay, no vdpau for xinerama?!
back to mplayer opengl video out, sadly.

nvidia driver readme has its pros and cons of twinview vs. xinerama.
and personally, clean conf of separate(modular) xinerama over twinview(all in one) mixture. ;)

please implement vdpau xinerama support ...

Stephen Warren 06-08-10 05:40 PM

The latest 256.* beta drivers do contain some rudimentary Xinerama support for VDPAU.

geki 06-08-10 06:04 PM

That sounds promising! I hope it will be finished.

geki 07-06-10 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen Warren (Post 2266357)
The latest 256.* beta drivers do contain some rudimentary Xinerama support for VDPAU.

do these drivers need some extra configuration to make vdpau work with xinerama?
I just get a green picture on the second screen.

roalter 07-07-10 03:20 AM

From the README to the current driver: "The environment variable VDPAU_NVIDIA_XINERAMA_PHYSICAL_SCREEN may be used to select which physical screen a VDPAU application will operate on. "

Stephen Warren 07-07-10 11:57 AM

Yes, the current Xinerama support will display video on only a single physical display. A green window/screen (or perhaps other single color if the application changes it) is currently expected behaviour on other physical displays.

geki 07-19-10 08:58 AM

thanks roalter and Stephen Warren.
with that it works! :)