nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Benchmarking And Overclocking (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Hi temps while running Prime95 is it Normal ????? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=134732)

muelo1000 06-19-09 09:23 PM

Hi temps while running Prime95 is it Normal ?????

I just overclocked my Q6600 CPU from 2.4 to 3.0 the system seem stable prime havent detected any errors it started as high as 80-90c now down to 77-72c is this normal ,what I mean is does the temp gets high because I am running prime, other wise it dosent get this high or is this as high as its going to run while the CPU is overclocked......too high......will it drop down???

Eliminator 06-19-09 10:49 PM

Re: Hi temps while running Prime95 is it Normal ?????

yes that's very high... if any program uses all 4 cores fully then you will get the same temps... and no it won't magically drop down unless you get better cooling and you really should... anything more than 75*C under full load is not safe for continuous use

betterdan 06-20-09 03:23 AM

Definately look into a better cooler and some good thermal paste. I really didn't think a good cooler could help as much as it does but I am now a firm believer after experiencing the Xigmatek one I have in my system.

muelo1000 06-20-09 10:39 AM

ok guys so the temp now is at 45c idle with my duorb is it still too hot??? when i built the system i used the duorb for space saving reason it didnt have a bad review and some artic silver paste when it wasent overclocked temps at idle would be 29-33c

Muppet 06-21-09 04:18 AM

Factory heatsinks are no good except for very mild overclocks. You really need to go after market.

muelo1000 06-22-09 09:24 PM

it is a aftermarket....question is how do you know how much to tighten up the screws on the brackets on the CPU i really didn't had a clue so i tight it up and stop as soon as I felt some light resistant

Maverick123w 06-22-09 11:05 PM

When working with any computer or electronic components I always find it best to screw just enough so it feels secure. You always want everything to have room to expand and contract with the temperature.

betterdan 06-23-09 07:40 AM

I tightened my heatsink down tight until I couldn't tighten it anymore. Seems to have worked out fine.

Revs 06-23-09 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eliminator (Post 2032906)
yes that's very high... if any program uses all 4 cores fully then you will get the same temps... and no it won't magically drop down unless you get better cooling and you really should... anything more than 75*C under full load is not safe for continuous use

That ^