nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Networking And Security (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Wireless Network Help (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=135265)

nV`andrew 07-03-09 02:33 PM

Wireless Network Help

Alright, so I switched back to Charter Cable today. I have my cable modem hooked up to my Linksys Wireless-G router, and then my gaming desktop pc is hardwired to that. I set up a wireless network, so that there is another desktop, and two laptops connected to it. So far, everything is going great, good speeds on all the computers, except for one, my dad's laptop.

The laptop that is working fine is running Vista Home Premium x64. The two desktops are both on XP SP3 x86. My dad's laptop is running Vista Business (x86 i think).

At first, his laptop will connect fine using the WPA-PSK code i set. Then after a few minutes the connection will get very slow, then say limited or no connectivity, and then the internet will not work altogether.

His laptop worked fine on the previous two wireless networks we had in the house, but on this new one, it just doesn't seem to like it.

Any suggestions?

crainger 07-06-09 07:54 AM

Re: Wireless Network Help

I've had issues like this a few times. Once it was the firmware on my wireless router. I stepped back to an older one and it worked fine. Second time it was just the wireless device didn't want to play with my Wireless router, replacing it worked.

I'd start with the firmware, update it if you can, otherwise step back one version. Have you tried with just the laptop without other devices connected? Have you tried with no security. Could be a simple driver update if it work with no security.

nekrosoft13 07-09-09 11:11 PM

there are many different vendors for wireless chips: Intel, Atheros, Broadcom, Realtek, Ralink etc...

When you buy a wireless router, card, or laptop brand on top is just that a label, what you get inside depends.

Moral of the story is that not every combination will play nice with the rest.

sometimes a firmware update and or driver update might address a particular comp ability issue, sometimes you have to replace either the router or the wireless NIC.

six_storm 07-12-09 10:35 PM

Before you go changing firmware, have you tried wiping out all traces of the SSID in Windows, then adding it like it had never been added before? I've had this happen to my router (ness), so I cleared out all profiles related to ness, re-added it and boom, it works.

nV`andrew 07-13-09 07:09 PM

Thanks for the responses. Apparently the IT at my dad's work had to reformat his laptop, so I'll see how it does with a clean set of drivers.
And yeah i did try changing up and removing the SSID's, no luck. I'm pretty sure it had something to do with Dell drivers, but maybe I'll find out tonight.