nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows XP And Vista (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   OMG! Vista 32-bit key = 64-bit key? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=135547)

RaidenWoW 07-09-09 01:48 PM

OMG! Vista 32-bit key = 64-bit key?

Some guy on the forums said,
Quote:

Besides, with Vista the CD key could be used for 32-bit or 64-bit installations. The keys weren't separate like in XP.
Can I technically change my 32-bit Windows Vista OEM machine into a 64-bit one without having to buy a Windows Vista 64-bit copy?

I've always thought that I would have to buy another Windows version to get myself into 64-bit (just like in winXP).

Edit: after googling (which I should have done in the first place), the aforementioned is true! HUZZAH!! HERE I COME 4GB OF RAM!

LurkerLito 07-09-09 02:12 PM

Re: OMG! Vista 32-bit key = 64-bit key?

I am not sure you can after you have activated the installation. I am not 100% sure but I remember reading about some kind of limitation to it.

Lfctony 07-09-09 02:32 PM

I have some experience with that. The key becomes bound to the installation you use the first time. That's irrelevant to the hardware. Which means (like I did) if you try to activate 64-bit Vista on the exact same system that you activated a 32-bit Vista installation, you won't be able to. In that case, I had to contact Microsoft and after about half an hour on the phone(they even connected me to a US technician because nothing worked) they deleted the installation data completely from their servers. So, I was able to reactivate my 64-bit Windows, which is now bound to my key...

ViN86 07-09-09 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaidenWoW (Post 2044209)
Some guy on the forums said,

Can I technically change my 32-bit Windows Vista OEM machine into a 64-bit one without having to buy a Windows Vista 64-bit copy?

I've always thought that I would have to buy another Windows version to get myself into 64-bit (just like in winXP).

Edit: after googling (which I should have done in the first place), the aforementioned is true! HUZZAH!! HERE I COME 4GB OF RAM!

Yea, all you had to do is read through this subforum and you would have found that out about 2 years ago now...

LOL

Be careful with OEM installs though. Did you buy the OEM or was it given to you by a company (ie Dell or HP or whoever built the system). With XP I remember there were vendor specific OEM keys that didn't work with regular XP install discs.

I don't think this is the case with Vista. Won't know until you try it out though...

RaidenWoW 07-09-09 03:37 PM

I bought my copy of Windows Vista through microsoft's digital locker thing.

I have changed my hardware a few times before and I had to call microsoft and enter in a few numbers to activate my installation again. I assume the same will be true if I just switch to 64-bit (Just say that "this is the only windows copy using this key" and get a code to enter).

ViN86 07-09-09 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaidenWoW (Post 2044273)
I bought my copy of Windows Vista through microsoft's digital locker thing.

I have changed my hardware a few times before and I had to call microsoft and enter in a few numbers to activate my installation again. I assume the same will be true if I just switch to 64-bit (Just say that "this is the only windows copy using this key" and get a code to enter).

Yea you just need to get your hands on a 64-bit version of Vista that matches your type (ie Basic, Home Preimum, Ultimate, etc.)

Zelda_fan 07-09-09 04:15 PM

You just now figured this out?

nekrosoft13 07-09-09 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaidenWoW (Post 2044209)

Problem with XP was that 32bit and 64bit was not based on the same code.

XP 32bit was NT 5.1 while XP 64bit was NT 5.2 based on Server 2003 platform.

Plus XP was one huge mess when it came to CD-Keys and Install media. Home, Pro, Corp, OEMs all needed seperate media.

RaidenWoW 07-10-09 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zelda_fan (Post 2044305)
You just now figured this out?

You're actually asking me that question? Of course I just figured it out and I am happy that I did.

It's not like it's common knowledge. It may be for those who've gone through the ordeal before but I sure as hell believed that a 32-bit key <> a 64-bit key simply because I had already tried it in windows XP in the past.

hell_of_doom227 07-10-09 01:00 AM

Same key can be used on 32bit or 64bit copy of Windows Vista. I know cause i did it.

ViN86 07-10-09 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaidenWoW (Post 2044531)
You're actually asking me that question? Of course I just figured it out and I am happy that I did.

It's not like it's common knowledge. It may be for those who've gone through the ordeal before but I sure as hell believed that a 32-bit key <> a 64-bit key simply because I had already tried it in windows XP in the past.

Well, not to be a total douche, but it is pretty much common knowledge at this point. It's plastered all over this subforum :o