nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Gaming Central (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   2K gets help from Arkane for Bioshock 2 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=135632)

nekrosoft13 07-11-09 10:57 AM

2K gets help from Arkane for Bioshock 2

Step back into the unforgettable world of Rapture in BioShock 2, the next instalment in the franchise that has won more than 50 Game of the Year awards.
BioShock 2 provides players with the perfect blend of explosive first person shooter combat, compelling storytelling and intense multiplayer to form one of 2009’s most highly anticipated titles.

Here is what Alyssa Finley, producer at 2K Marin, says about Arkane’s contribution to the game :

“BioShock 2 is a world class project led out of 2K Marin that features involvement from a variety of premiere studios from around the world. In the past we’ve been working closely with 2K Australia for our tech needs and Digital Extremes for our robust multiplayer experience. Today I’m proud to say that we’ve added another important developer to the mix. Under the direction and leadership of 2K Marin, Arkane is assisting in the creation of levels that embody the aesthetic and gameplay ideals that make BioShock such a unique and exciting experience”

http://www.arkane-studios.fr/uk/bioshock.php

fizzelopeguss 07-11-09 12:32 PM

Re: 2K gets help from Arkane for Bioshock 2

Arkane are a talented bunch, it's a damn shame to see them wasting their time on this rather than focusing on their own titles.

Ywap 07-11-09 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizzelopeguss (Post 2045365)
Arkane are a talented bunch, it's a damn shame to see them wasting their time on this rather than focusing on their own titles.

Totaly agree. Dark Messiah was fantastic and like you i wish they were allowed to focus on their own thing.

CaptNKILL 07-11-09 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fizzelopeguss (Post 2045365)

Agreed.

Though they're probably getting paid pretty well if they put their own game on hold to do this.

nutcrackr 07-11-09 06:22 PM

damn, game projects now take the work of four dev studios, no wonder the budgets are obscene and no new titles can break into the industry easily.

NarcissistZero 07-12-09 02:16 AM

I really think 2K is going to be shocked by this game's performance... I know I am not alone when I say it looks like a poor cash-in, and the original game was not a franchise starter. Every detail I read on BioShock 2 just makes me roll my eyes...

That said, perhaps I am underestimating name recognition and the average consumer... or even the developers themselves. Perhaps the previews have just been written wrong, and they have brilliant ideas I never considered.

I hope so... because right now it looks like they are turing one of gaming's best every games into a really crappy retread.

Mr. Hunt 07-12-09 02:22 AM

What else has Arkane done? I see you people mentioning Dark Messiah. But why are you guys acting like they made an amazing game? DM was fun, but far from anything amazing.

nekrosoft13 07-12-09 02:55 AM

and Arx Fatalis, plus working on The Crossing

CaptNKILL 07-12-09 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt (Post 2045630)
What else has Arkane done? I see you people mentioning Dark Messiah. But why are you guys acting like they made an amazing game? DM was fun, but far from anything amazing.

Dark Messiah was pretty good, but Arx Fatalis was fantastic. One of the best action RPGs I've ever played.

I need to reinstall it again some time.

Mr. Hunt 07-12-09 03:10 AM

Ok... figured it had to be something else. I never got around to playing Arx Fatalis... always heard good things about it though.

CaptNKILL 07-12-09 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt (Post 2045639)
Ok... figured it had to be something else. I never got around to playing Arx Fatalis... always heard good things about it though.

Its a little clunky (the movement sort of feels like Battlefield 1942) and the voice acting can be a big goofy, but its oozing with atmosphere and it offers a lot of depth and exploration.

Its a spiritual successor to Ultima Underworld.

I think you also need a small user-made patch to fix some broken textures on modern graphics cards. If anyone is interested in playing the game and can't find the texture fix, I have it on my computer.

EDIT: I actually just read that the steam version (1.18) has been updated to fix the textures and a few other things, while the GoodOldGames version (1.19) has more fixes, such as wide screen resolution support.

Its only $6 at GoG, so I highly recommend getting it from there if you want the game.

I already have a boxed copy from 2002 but I just bought it from GoG to get the latest version.

NarcissistZero 07-12-09 04:51 AM

Arx Fatalis was a game I looked at on GOG several times and almost bought... I was worried it was pure combat though. Is it not? Seemed like a 100% dungeon crawler... I like a little story, town exploration and such in my RPGs.