nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows 7 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Who's making the switch to Windows 7? (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=135838)

Mike89 07-16-09 01:23 AM

Who's making the switch to Windows 7?

BTW, there should be a Windows 7 forum section here.

So who's making the switch and what are you switching from?

I skipped Vista completely cause there was nothing compelling me to switch from my trusty XP Pro. Just wasn't anything there that particularly attracted me. Direct X 10 wasn't a good enough reason for me and has turned out to be a bust as far as I'm concerned. I still don't feel I've missed anything playing my games without it. Direct X 11 looks promising but my vid card can't do that anyway.

Started thinking about Windows 7 and about finally trying out 64 bit so decided to take the plunge and did the pre-order (upgrade Win7 Pro at the special price). At least I won't be accused of being a dinosaur anymore. The tweaking side of me is looking forward to it in a way but I'm also apprehensive about possible programs I may not be able to use anymore that I still really like and don't want to do without. Everything I use on my computer is still very important to me and there is nothing on it that I do not want. Hopefully that "XP Mode" thing will take care of any program compatibility issues. Will have to see what's in store for me there. To tell the truth, I could still hang on to XP Pro for a couple more years and still be quite happy (don't see any games in that time that I would be suffering playing with what I have now). More out of curiosity than anything else, I'm going to try out something new to see what's on the other side.

Hopefully the Windows 7 experience will be one of those, "dude what the hell took you so long" deals like it was when I finally switched from Windows 98 to XP.

nekrosoft13 07-16-09 01:34 AM

Re: Who's making the switch to Windows 7?

win7 forum is not necessary, just rename this forum to XP/Vista/7 Forum, or simply Windows forums.

I will be switching from Vista Ultimate to 7 Ultimate.

Zelda_fan 07-16-09 01:49 AM

Windows 7 is basically the ****.

Anyone who doesn't switch is either broke or a moron.

You can download the RC free from Microsoft's site. Try before you buy.

Mike89 07-16-09 02:01 AM

Quote:

win7 forum is not necessary, just rename this forum to XP/Vista/7 Forum, or simply Windows forums.
That'll work.

Quote:

Anyone who does switch is either broke or a moron.
Heh heh, well that's pretty straight out, isn't it dude? I guess there's nothing left to be said then.

Just so you know, I don't consider myself either of those (though my wife may differ on that).

When I give it a spin, I'll be sure to post if I ended up being a moron or not. I could admit it if that ends up being the case. :cool:

RAY16 07-16-09 11:07 AM

Windows 7 is nice, but not enough of a leap for me to rush out and upgrade from Vista Business x64. I'll get it eventually, but I'm not in a hurry.

Marvel_us 07-16-09 11:23 AM

Going from Vista x64 business to whatever version MSNDAA offers.

MSNDAA ftw!

Bigbuck 07-16-09 11:28 AM

Unless MS has another $50 Home Premium upgrade deal I won't be getting it anytime soon. I have a copy of retail Vista Ultimate and laptop OEM Vista Home Premium x32. To be honest I'm still kicking myself for paying so much for Vista Ultimate. Until I get a new PC, which might not be until Windows 8 comes out :(, I won't be buying it.

ViN86 07-16-09 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigbuck (Post 2048351)
Unless MS has another $50 Home Premium upgrade deal I won't be getting it anytime soon. I have a copy of retail Vista Ultimate and laptop OEM Vista Home Premium x32. To be honest I'm still kicking myself for paying so much for Vista Ultimate. Until I get a new PC, which might not be until Windows 8 comes out :(, I won't be buying it.

Why didn't you go for the reduced price upgrade?

Airbrushkid 07-16-09 12:04 PM

I might try to get it but why when XP and Vista works fine for me.

Revs 07-16-09 12:13 PM

I've installed 3 beta versions so far, and each have had the odd niggle, but the main problem for me is companys such as Belkin being a bit slack on drivers. I'm hoping by the release date I'll be able to get the drivers I need. If so I'll be getting one of the x64 OEM versions. It'll be interesting to see how much they charge for it though. I got Vista HP x64 OEM for about 55.

nekrosoft13 07-16-09 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Revs (Post 2048404)
I've installed 3 beta versions so far, and each have had the odd niggle, but the main problem for me is companys such as Belkin being a bit slack on drivers. I'm hoping by the release date I'll be able to get the drivers I need. If so I'll be getting one of the x64 OEM versions. It'll be interesting to see how much they charge for it though. I got Vista HP x64 OEM for about 55.

driver for what? most vista drivers are perfectly fine in 7, there are only few that don't work.

Bigbuck 07-16-09 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViN86 (Post 2048358)
Why didn't you go for the reduced price upgrade?

I didn't really think of it at the time and by the time I came to actually wanting to buy it, it was too late.