nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Home Theater A/V (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Project: Lan theater. (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=136498)

KasuCode 07-27-09 11:52 PM

Project: Lan theater.

Ive always wanted a place where I can get some friends togeather watch movies and play games on the computer in a lan like environment. So im building a setup for some of my friends to come over have some computers to play on and everyone be facing the tv.

As I said in previous post, I was going to rebuild my room. My room was 8x11 I knocked down a wall and its now 16x11. Im currently patching holes in the walls redoing the popcorn ceiling and getting everything ready for paint.

Just to name a few things im getting new

Carpet (Nylon, Color-Skyline)
Padding

Paint/
Walls: Sparrow (silver)
Molding and other: Stealth Jet (black)

Desks:
Will be building a custom wrap-around desk to sit 6 people very comfortability. (will show a blueprint in a bit)

Computers:
This requires a few computers will show later

New chairs

New reciver
I just got my new front speakers will show later

But thats just to name a few things. Will be sure to take lots of picures of the process.

Im always givin a hard time because of the holes in my walls lol well it wont be much longer.

Keep checking back for updates.

KasuCode 07-27-09 11:53 PM

Re: Project: Lan theater.

I just got these speakers for my front floor speakers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npw9Y...&feature=email

Polk Audio Monitor 60

KasuCode 07-27-09 11:53 PM

Edit:!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry this took forever. I got lazy with posting pictures so I just made a video for it all.

This video shows the progress of the room so far. keep in mind this is still my bedroom.

Leave me some comments

Muppet 07-28-09 06:35 AM

That sounds like a great idea. Make sure to include lots of build pics.

bacon12 07-28-09 08:42 AM

This is my thing and if you need any advise or have questions about anything let me know. I would be happy to help.

Good luck and take some pics!!

KasuCode 08-02-09 11:39 PM

Thanks guys,

Question, I currently have a 20A Breaker for my room. Its already triping when I hook something like my air compressor up to it with all my computer stuff. So no doubt Ill need to upgrade it for when I hook up the extra computers.

What do I need to know before upgrading the breaker to a 30A?

Or how should I go about fixing the problem without costing allot of money.

I guess I need to find out the gauge of the wire?

Edit: I found my answer. I think im going to get another breaker put in and setup some new 10G wire and a 30A breaker for a power strip around the room. Ill post some pictures of how things are going tomorrow.

Bman212121 08-03-09 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KasuCode (Post 2060159)
Thanks guys,

Question, I currently have a 20A Breaker for my room. Its already triping when I hook something like my air compressor up to it with all my computer stuff. So no doubt Ill need to upgrade it for when I hook up the extra computers.

Edit: I found my answer. I think im going to get another breaker put in and setup some new 10G wire and a 30A breaker for a power strip around the room. Ill post some pictures of how things are going tomorrow.

That's not really the best idea Kasucode. You need to do another seperate circuit if you're going to run that kind of juice because you will overload the outlets or possibly chain too many things onto one power strip causing it to blow. You won't find a 120V 30A wall socket with a normal plug on it. If you used a PDU you might be able to hook that directly to a larger plug but it would be easier to seperate the outlets with different circuits.

KasuCode 08-03-09 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bman212121 (Post 2060391)
That's not really the best idea Kasucode. You need to do another seperate circuit if you're going to run that kind of juice because you will overload the outlets or possibly chain too many things onto one power strip causing it to blow. You won't find a 120V 30A wall socket with a normal plug on it. If you used a PDU you might be able to hook that directly to a larger plug but it would be easier to seperate the outlets with different circuits.

I think a 20A breaker would work fine. If I run a seprate outlet with a diffrent circuit (20a)run it into my room and use it to run power strips under the desks. like these

http://www.altex.com/Tripp-Lite-Powe...4-P139494.aspx

Not that I would ever use near that many plugs. But you think that would work fine?

That would make it two 20A lines to my room.

And thanks

bacon12 08-03-09 02:00 PM

Compressors draw far more power than anything you will run as far as media equipment goes.

You weren't using an extension cord were you? If so that was most likely the problem and you need to run it directly from the outlet. If you could just put in another 20a and run you most demanding stuff off that you should be gtg.

KasuCode 08-03-09 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bacon12 (Post 2060547)
Compressors draw far more power than anything you will run as far as media equipment goes.

You weren't using an extension cord were you? If so that was most likely the problem and you need to run it directly from the outlet. If you could just put in another 20a and run you most demanding stuff off that you should be gtg.

Yea im going to put in another 20A just for the computers/computer accessories. Use the other 20A for audio, fans, and other things.

Thanks for the advice.

Ill try to get some pictures up tonight. Painting ATM

Bman212121 08-03-09 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KasuCode (Post 2060444)
I think a 20A breaker would work fine. If I run a seprate outlet with a diffrent circuit (20a)run it into my room and use it to run power strips under the desks. like these

http://www.altex.com/Tripp-Lite-Powe...4-P139494.aspx

Not that I would ever use near that many plugs. But you think that would work fine?

That would make it two 20A lines to my room.

And thanks

Yea that would work much better. Just keep tabs on how many things you plug into that power strip as you could overdraw it without tripping the breaker.

TheBigOne 08-17-09 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KasuCode (Post 2060159)
Thanks guys,

Run the 30a second breaker with 10ga wire that amp going to need it, will draw alot of power, had the same problem with my Denon AVR-5803 which draw a true 325w/ch 2ohms, and it will sound cleaner and never use a extension cord, and if you are going to use a power strip make sur it uses a 12ga wire or 10ga.