nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   Microsoft Windows 7 (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   LCD/Screensavers (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=136801)

seeker 08-03-09 03:27 AM

LCD/Screensavers

Years ago, when CRTs were commonplace, I was told that screensavers were no longer necessary, in terms of protecting monitors, but since I switched to a LCD recently, I've read a couple of comments that suggested that LCDs might be more subject to being damaged by a prolonged static display...is there any truth in this?

I just went through the available screensavers that came with W7 RC and there are only a few, none of which has much of an appeal to me. Is there any difference in the manner in which one must manage choosing downloading and managing screensavers than on older Windows versions?

crainger 08-03-09 08:16 AM

Re: LCD/Screensavers

Old CRTs would burn in, modern ones reduced the risk massively, but it was still recommend to use on OR power save, with an LCD it wont burn in, but it can suffer residual images, which is nothing permanent, will fade in a short time (Half a day). So it might still be an idea to use one or just power save. I have my LCDs shut off after 10mins of idle.

Badboy_12345 08-03-09 10:13 AM

I havent experianced this with any lcd that I have had and I was an early adopter and have had lcd monitors for a long time. I call BS or that it happens in very specific scenarios, for example having a static image in full brightness sitting there for 1 week :lol:

S.SubZero 08-03-09 11:13 AM

Since modern computers and monitors can communicate and the computer can put the monitor to sleep, it accomplishes the same thing as a screensaver (avoid any potential burn-in) while saving energy. Screensavers are more of as stylish thing now than something with practical purpose. Note that Win7 (and Vista) are set by default to have the screensaver off.

Logical 08-03-09 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badboy_12345 (Post 2060321)
I havent experianced this with any lcd that I have had and I was an early adopter and have had lcd monitors for a long time. I call BS or that it happens in very specific scenarios, for example having a static image in full brightness sitting there for 1 week :lol:

My old LCD monitor would 'ghost' images that were static for a long period of time. It usually happened when there was very bright white against dark or black. If i switched to full dark or black screen i would be able to see the bright image ever so slightly. It isn't BS and is definately quite common you just dont notice it most of the time.

Like Crainger i have my monitor go into standby after 10 mins to reduce the chances of this happening, although i musyt say i have yet to see it happen on the monitor im using now.

Rakeesh 08-03-09 02:25 PM

Burn in is due to uneven aging of the screen. CRT's and plasma displays are all susceptible since they use phosphors to show color, and phosphors do age with use.

LCD's don't have anything that ages so they can't get burn in. The worst that can happen with an LCD is the little microscopic rods that form in each cell when its charged can stay that way if left there for a while, resulting in what looks like burn-in. But, this can be fixed by rapidly turning the cell on and off. See this:

http://www.jscreenfix.com/basic.php

Quote:

Originally Posted by Logical (Post 2060417)
My old LCD monitor would 'ghost' images that were static for a long period of time. It usually happened when there was very bright white against dark or black. If i switched to full dark or black screen i would be able to see the bright image ever so slightly. It isn't BS and is definately quite common you just dont notice it most of the time.

Actually what you were seeing was the dark parts staying kinda dark, the bright parts were more or less normal on the other hand. I've never heard of LCD image persistence being permanent if somebody takes steps to correct it.

Logical 08-03-09 08:57 PM

I thought it was something to do with the bright pixels staying warm compared to the dark pixels.