nV News Forums

nV News Forums (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/index.php)
-   NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   PhysX When SLI on Single (http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=137340)

Kaguya 08-13-09 02:41 PM

PhysX When SLI on Single

I have a pair of GTX 260s in SLI and with PhysX enabled in the drivers (186.18), and an SLI profile of Single, will one card do graphics and the other do physics, or will one card do both graphics and physics while the other sits idle?

john19055 08-14-09 02:36 AM

Re: PhysX When SLI on Single

The GTX 260 will do PhysX buy itself,IMO it always good just to leave it in sli and enable PhysX in the control pannel.Sure you could take you SLI bridge off and run one card normal and use the other GTX 260 just for PhysX,But IMO that would be just a waste of your card.Because you are going to see a big improvement running SLI with PhysX just enable,in probbaly 98% of your games.I would use the newest drivers to make sure you have the newest PhysX drivers.

ChrisRay 08-14-09 07:14 AM

If you have PhysX enabled and SLI off. The second GPU will allocate itself to purely physx processing. I know its not well documented. But this is the case.

Chris

Kaguya 08-14-09 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisRay (Post 2067419)
If you have PhysX enabled and SLI off. The second GPU will allocate itself to purely physx processing. I know its not well documented. But this is the case.

Chris

But I would have to actually disable SLI in the control panel for this to occur? Okay - I don't have intentions of running like this, but just wondered for games that don't properly support SLI but do have PhysX (only one that I know of, but whatever) that if I ran in Single GPU mode with SLI on, which card was doing physics. Thanks!

AdamK47 08-14-09 09:39 AM

I'd like to know as well.

ChrisRay 08-15-09 08:16 AM

Yes SLI has to be disabled in the control panel. Otherwise a "Single GPU" profile will run PhysX off the primary card as well.

FearMeAll 08-15-09 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisRay (Post 2067906)
Yes SLI has to be disabled in the control panel. Otherwise a "Single GPU" profile will run PhysX off the primary card as well.

that's dumb. They need to change that badly.

ChrisRay 08-16-09 01:49 AM

Due to the way the profiling system works. It cannot be changed. Enabling "SLI" is a driver flag that tells it how to percieve the other GPU. IE is it a render device or a secondary monitor/PhysX device. Its important to note that pretty much any PhysX title to date has an SLI rendering profile. And its highly unlikely future titles will ship with no multi GPU support.

It's not a question of being "Dumb". The drivers do this to make SLI profiling work as seemlessly as it does. If you want dedicated PhysX. You wouldnt want SLI enabled in the first place.

FearMeAll 08-16-09 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisRay (Post 2068293)
Due to the way the profiling system works. It cannot be changed. Enabling "SLI" is a driver flag that tells it how to percieve the other GPU. IE is it a render device or a secondary monitor/PhysX device. Its important to note that pretty much any PhysX title to date has an SLI rendering profile. And its highly unlikely future titles will ship with no multi GPU support.

It's not a question of being "Dumb". The drivers do this to make SLI profiling work as seemlessly as it does. If you want dedicated PhysX. You wouldnt want SLI enabled in the first place.

I'm just mad that Sli in Batman with physx is so much slower than single card with physx. It doesn't make sense. 2 gtx280s should kick Batman's ass physx and all.

ChrisRay 08-16-09 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slaWter (Post 2068401)
But how does it work if you have a GTX 285 SLI plus a 9800GT for example? Is is possible to define the 9800 GT as a dedicated PhysX card and still use both 285s for SLI?

Will there be a drop down menu (like with the SLI focus display) in the NVCP in this case?

Yes there will be. But I wouldn't recommend this setup. You wont see much if any performance gain.

kuddles 08-17-09 08:15 AM

So if a game like Batman or Mirror's Edge has hardware PhysX, it actually runs better if you turn SLI off? I guess that kinda makes sense - each individual card doing their own task instead of both of them performing the same two tasks at the same time.

I'm guessing this won't work on my GTX 295, though, since the 2nd GPU would have to be on a separate slot to be dedicated to PhysX.

ChrisRay 08-18-09 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuddles (Post 2068824)
So if a game like Batman or Mirror's Edge has hardware PhysX, it actually runs better if you turn SLI off? I guess that kinda makes sense - each individual card doing their own task instead of both of them performing the same two tasks at the same time.

I'm guessing this won't work on my GTX 295, though, since the 2nd GPU would have to be on a separate slot to be dedicated to PhysX.

Not neccasarily. It depends on game, Resolution, and rendering bottlenecks. Dedicated PhysX cards are mostly useful in my experience ((compared to standard SLI renderings)) at lower resolutions where PhysX processing is the primary bottleneck. But range can vary widely depending on settings and such.